Retirement

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
bogus bill
Levergunner 3.0

Retirement

Post by bogus bill »

I retired january of 2000. On a whim I happened to call work last night to talk to a old captain friend. Found out another captain of mine about my age just died of cancer. He was the model picture of health, looked just like charlton heston, he was a body builder. Another close officer friend also recently. Cancer got them both. Retire early if you can!
Soon as I retired I had to go home and take care of my dad who had alzeimers. Then I got married, wasnt planning on that! Now last december I had to get my nose cut off due to cancer. At least it is a good time to recover. Take my word for it, the rules keep changing! Just found out my daughter is getting a well justifable divorce. 2 young grandaughters. I will be helping them. Retirement, like everything else in life takes planning and a lot of luck! When I retired I was single with what I thought was a huge 401K. I was working paying off a bad divorice etc, I had to work the 1st 40 hours before there was money to eat or live! So I was working 65 to 75 hours a week! (thank god there was endless overtime available!). I woke up to the fact I could quit work and change things around. The bad news was I was in risky stocks and half of my 401K was gone in that march, 3 months later! The good news is I married the love of my life that takes good care of me! We left california and moved here to utah. Life is good. I never really knew anybodys life to go just like they planned. When you are midage you egnore the possibe consicunecs of old age. Just your extended family there is always problems in their lives that crop up and effect you!
The good news is with faith in god and some juggiling you probley can make it on less than you think. Good luck to you all in your waneing years! Retire soon as you can! I came down with the shakes from surgerys etc, where I probley couldnt hit the inside of my house with my guns, and as you know, that is my 1st love!
don Tomás
Levergunner 3.0

Post by don Tomás »

Thanks, Bill, there is iron in the words you speak. I've only been back to the department to renew my honorably-retired police ID. Amazing all the guys that hung around to eek out another 1/2% on their retirement only to go into vapor lock 6 months into retirement. I ran like a thief and retired as soon as I could and life just keeps getting better and better. I'm not saying it's perfect by any means (I'm told that comes later after we shed this mortal shell) but it's pretty darned good. Oh, and not being able to hit the inside of your house? He!!, that's me at the range on a good day! but it sure don't stop me... :D
Tom
Tom

'A Man's got to have a code...
I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted and I won't be laid a hand on.
I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them."

-John Bernard Books. Jan. 22, 1901
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Bill, I guess we are all tested at one time or another. I see you passed with flying colors and yes, dang it, I'm taking your advice (already planned on it :D ) and am getting out of that rat race.

You sure are a lucky guy to have such a good girl at your side. Thats a rare commodity today. Utah is a beautiful state. I spent some time there two years ago camping in no mans land about 20 miles from Arches National park. Moab is a cool little town (but a little too yuppieized) with lots of Jeeps. (I'm a jeep guy). I could envision living there but after 35 years in the same house here in Pa., its probably not going to happen.-------------Good luck to 'ya Bill and keep on shootin' those old Colts!-----------Sixgun
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

Jarhead
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Jarhead »

Bill,

You made the right decision by retiring early. None of us are going to get out of this World alive. I retired in 2005 at age 52, after a long career as an Insurance Professional. Lots of stress, etc. My girls are grown up and I own a farm in Eastern Oregon, so I'm glad to be out of the "Rat Race." I am not making as much money, but I have more time to myself to do the things I really love. I took a 20 hour a week "no brainer" job to supplement my pension. I figure I'll live longer :!: Our priorities change as we get older... I just bought another Model 71 this week and should have her in my arms soon. :D Make the best of what time you do have left on this earth and enjoy the "Love of your life." Rifles, your Wife, Family, etc.

Best wishes,

Jarhead
Last edited by Jarhead on Sat Feb 23, 2008 11:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.
El Chivo
Advanced Levergunner

Post by El Chivo »

it's my plan to retire early too, because it's the first 5-10 years that I'll be young enough to enjoy it! I've always been pretty good at adjusting to less money. Once I'm really over the hill, might as well sit in a government institution, what's the difference.
"I'll tell you what living is. You get up when you feel like it. You fry yourself some eggs. You see what kind of a day it is."
brucew44guns
Senior Levergunner

Post by brucew44guns »

It only took me a month or less to realize I had definately did the right thing and hung up the job and retired. I don't spend the money that I used to spend, but seem perfectly ok with what I'm doing at home now. Have a 160 acre place, needs a lot done outside to the land, fences to replace, trees to cut down, others to plant. On it goes. No way will there be a boring day around here, glad I could do it at 63.
To hell with them fellas, buzzards gotta eat same as the worms.
Outlaw Josey Wales

Member GOA
NRA Benefactor-Life
mescalero1
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mescalero1 »

Thanks guys,
You have re-inforced the idea that pulling the plug at 55 is the right thing to do
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

I "retired" at 46 and now have the challenge with Mom that Bill had with his dad (and Junior had with his dad and... well LOTS of folks have this one, you MIGHT be surprised to learn) but life is pretty good and I'm still learning. :lol:
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
C. Cash
Advanced Levergunner

Post by C. Cash »

Thank you for the insight Bill! I'm only 39 but your advice is looking more right on every day :wink:
But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8
Cocked & Locked
Levergunner

Post by Cocked & Locked »

I retired 10.5 years ago at the age of 53. Lots of changes during that time, some good, some bad. I like things as they are now but am surprised how quickly time now flys by. It went much slower "back then."

Now I've got more time to this kind of stuff!

C&L
bogus bill
Levergunner 3.0

Post by bogus bill »

Cocked & locked, if there is a prize on what retirement is suppose to be, looks like you should have won it!
new pig hunter
Senior Levergunner

Post by new pig hunter »

Last July, I retired 1 day after I turned 55. Lovin' it.

Cheers,

Carl
rangerider7
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rangerider7 »

I recommend it highly!

"That'll Be The Day"
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

If I can triple my income to $100K I might be able to retire in 30 years when I turn 70. :cry:
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
longarm4146
Levergunner 2.0

Post by longarm4146 »

retirement is the BEST job I've ever had! Got out of PD at age 49 after 30 yrs of service...couldn't get there fast enough. Got a farm in the country. kid in college and great wife......once the young'un gets outta school might even be able to afford another vintage Winchester or two....who knows????
SASS 4146
BOLD 199