Nice 50 Caliber Lever Gun

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
HEAD0001
Levergunner 3.0

Nice 50 Caliber Lever Gun

Post by HEAD0001 »

Here is a copy of the add I saw on the Accurate Reloading site. I asked him to send me some pictures, and he did. Unfortunately the pictures he sent did not show the grade of wood very well. What do you guy's think about this rifle. Below is the description he gave. Tom.

1) Stainless, 20" tapered octagon Marlin 1895 converted to 50 Alaskan by Regan Nonneman. Action and trigger have been fully reworked, fore end slimmed, Ashley post and ghost ring sights (fully adjustable), upgraded recoil pad, and full-length mag tube. Holds 7 +1 with my loads.

I took it to Zim this summer and got a tuskless with it (full penetration on head and shoulder shots). The rifle has been written up in a recent African Hunter magazine (cover story). I have brass, dies, bullets, and some loaded ammo (my ele loads written up in the article). Everything goes with the rifle. The rifle was recently gone through again by Regan Nonneman (lifetime warranty on his work) and freshened up with a new mag tube and springs. 50 AK rifle, brass, bullets and dies – 1500
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

Ask 86er. He got to shoot Mike Rintoul's.

I know one fellow who got stitches in his forehead from the hammer of that gun. This guy regularly shoots beasty 45/70 loads.

I know of another fellow with a broken finger and cracked ribs from shooting that gun ( lifted him out of the tree stand ).

Wonder why that Brazed On mag tube and spring had to be replaced. Awful lot of punch in such a light gun.
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

I'm thinking of getting one since I've got a pile of brass... :oops: BUT, I don't think I'd load it much above .50-70 levels. I'm liking big fat cartridges more and more.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
86er
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 86er »

I would want a 50AK to be have a slightly long length of pull, heavy barrel and maybe some porting. The two I have used both jumped quite a bit with the 7 1/4 pound weight and 13" stock length. That was with full-boat load of 400gr at 2100fps and 500 grs at 1900 fps. Otherwise, back the loads down 3-400 fps to lighten up the jump.
Bronco
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Bronco »

Howdy,

I like'em big an fat myself(bullets that is). Here's my Browning M71 in Win 50-110. 10lb rifle and a hand full to shoot with full house loads. 350gr at 2200fps,510gr at 2100fps,547gr at 2000fps.
John