Anybody have the first gun you fired, the gun you learned on

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
hfcable
Advanced Levergunner

Anybody have the first gun you fired, the gun you learned on

Post by hfcable »

My father started me shooting when i was 2 1/2 years old; i once asked him about this---why that early age---and he looked at me and said that was the same age he started; on further questioning he gave me an amused and slightly bewildered look and said well that was the same age all his family started at----brothers and father,etc, and he guessed that had always been the age they learned at! Bear in mind that my gggggrandfather was a Hessian mercenary soldier [captured on december 26 1776 when Washington crossed the deleware and attacked the Hessian garrison, number 37 on the prisoner list: Kaspar Goebel, anglicized later to Cable]; i wonder if 2 1/2 was the age mercernaries started their training...it was a profession of sorts. well anyway, i learned on a Stevens Junior rolling block [ or falling block] 22, a youth gun.

It was purchased from a sears catalog for about $1.35 sometime before my father was born in 1916, as his older brother first used it.
I had to stick the short stock under my armpit to aim, and i still remember it. Like I suspect most of you, i shot well from the beginning. My father passed on in 1991, and of course I still miss him, especially as I post this.

It is one of my most precious possessions, and I know it will be the same for my son.

Anybody else got their first gun?
Last edited by hfcable on Sun Feb 24, 2008 1:02 am, edited 3 times in total.
cable
leverhunter
Levergunner 1.0

Post by leverhunter »

Yes, if you count BB guns and yes it is a lever gun!! an old Daisy, looks like a Win 1886. Still works, can see the rainbow tragectory of the BB as it flies. What a hoot.

Also still have my Win 97 12 gauge. Was passed to me from my Great Grand Father. Unfortunately it met with an accident. I'm finishing up a rebuild that has taken better than 20 years searching out parts. It will hunt again this year.

Must be why I like older guns, fun to shoot, fun to repair and the stories.
Live to hunt and fish, your life depends upon it!
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

My Uncle's Winchester 72 tube feed bolt. I have it today.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
GEOFF
Levergunner 2.0

Post by GEOFF »

Cable,

Great pictures and neat story. That is really cool to have such an heirloom beginners rifle.

I still have my first .22, a 581 Remington. I was about 8 or 9 when my dad got it for me. I cherish it very highly too! It certainly started my gun lust on my way to many more!!

Geoff
Noah Zark
Senior Levergunner

Post by Noah Zark »

My father taught me on a Stevens-made "Springfield" bolt-action 22 with a 5-rd magazine. I still have it, although it's in my late father's gun cabinet at my mother's house.

Noah
Might as well face it, you're addicted to guns . . .
C. Cash
Advanced Levergunner

Post by C. Cash »

Yes...I have it and am trying to restore it: A Ward's Western Field(Mossberg) 47A made in 1937. I was 5 when I started using it..but it was big for me, went to the Ithaca Mod. 49 single shot until I got bigger and back to the Western Field before she finally broke. It has not worked since the 70's but I hope to get some parts to fix it soon. I believe it belonged to my Grandfather before my Dad, then me.
But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

Winchester bolt action single shot .22. I'm sure it has a model number, but I'll be darned if I can find it on the rifle. Basically, what was called a "Boys Rifle". Always did shoot better than I could. Much fun on jacks and such. Made one very careful when that shot was taken, there being only one.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
wm
Senior Levergunner

Post by wm »

Yes......my first shooting gun was a Sears/Winchester semi auto 22. I have not shot it in years but it has a special place in the gun cabinet.

The other first....hunting rifle....still gets used regularly. A win 94 30WCF my Dad bought when he came back from WWII. Great old gun.

Wm
Slick
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Slick »

Yeah - my Dad let me buy it (I saved up my allowance) and paid $36 for a H&R 9-shot .22LR nickle-plated revolver. When I became legal age, he turned it over to me and I still take it out shooting from time to time. It's my favorite gun for teaching girls how to shoot.
Politicians and diapers both require frequent changing for the EXACT same reason!
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

My Dad bought me this Savage -Stevens Favorite when I was 5. Sure have been a lot of 22s through that little rifle.

8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
bunklocoempire
Senior Levergunner

Post by bunklocoempire »

Remington 16 gauge, Remington 22, Winchester 30-30. All came out in my youth when we'd go shooting. All passed down from my great-grandfather. All still in the family. All never to be sold. First for me was the 22 at four, then the 30-30 and 16 gauge around 10, they don't seem to kick so hard now! :D

Bunkloco
“We, as a group, now have a greater moral responsibility to act than those who live in ignorance, once you become knowledgeable you have an obligation to do something about it.” Ron Paul
cshold
Advanced Levergunner

Post by cshold »

YES :)

H&R Topper 20 ga. single shot.
My son also started out with this one.
Billy Boy
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Billy Boy »

I actually started much later than most of you. Other than the .22LR I shot at summer camp with the BSA in my teens; my first gun I ever bought was/is my 870 12 ga. I have since restocked it in Max-4 and gussied it up a might for duck hunting. But, it still serves very well!Image
First levergun I ever shot was my first project gun. My 336T/A that srted life as a JCPenny 3040 in p/g configuration. I hadn't even been thinking about leverguns, or even rifles as a matter of fact until I walked into Ramsey Outdoor Store in Ramsey, NJ and my buddy Ron in hunting told me about USRAC's impending demise. With that he showed me the last Ranger they had for $279. I hadn't been planning to buy a rifle so I told him I hadda go home and sell the idea to my "little cure for happiness". When I came back the next day it was sold. A quick check with every other shop in the area turned up a similar response. It was like all Winchester 94's had been stricken from the face of every pylon and obelisk in Eqypt like Mose's name! A few days later my spice salesman came by with this gun in his van. Said he had taken it off of some crackhead dishwasher's hands for $100. I offered him $125 for it and have been hooked ever since!
BB
:wink:
You can get alot further with a kind word and a gun than you can with a kind word alone!
Al Capone
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

First gun I fired was a Marlin semi auto 22. Have no idea where it's at now. It was stolen from the house when I was about 10. :evil:
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Andrew
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Andrew »

I shot a no-name pellet gun a bit before this little jewel, but this is the first rifle I got to know.

Ithica M49 .22LR

ImageImage
Qui tacet consentit. (silence implies consent)
The Boring Blog
Pisgah
Senior Levergunner

Post by Pisgah »

I still have both of the guns I learned to shoot with: a Springfield Meteor single-shot .22 (cost something like $3 when my grandfather bought it in the '30s, given to me at age 6 in 1959, and still a tackdriver), and a High Standard Sentinel Deluxe .22 revolver bought for $49.95 in 1969.
Kilroy6644
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Kilroy6644 »

I don't know. I have Dad's old Daisy 1894 that he gave me, but as for real guns, I don't know if I still have it or not. It was an old J.C. Higgins .22 auto that I inherited from my grandmother. I had been shooting it, and not being the good gun owner I am now, I didn't clean it right away; I stuck it in the corner to "clean it later." Later never came. My young cousins were coming over, so Mom hid the gun somewhere they couldn't get at it, and she forgot where. Haven't been able to find it since. There's also the possibility that one of my sister's old boyfriends swiped it, but I don't like to think about that.
KILROY WAS HERE

"It's too bad that whole families have to be torn apart by something as simple as wild dogs."
BenT
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BenT »

Springfield model 37 single shot bolt 22 with peep sight . Those sparrows didn't stand a chance.
dkmlever
Levergunner 3.0

Post by dkmlever »

My dad was anti-gun so I lusted after my uncles guns when we visited. I bought my first one when I was 16, my brother was 18 so he could buy it for me. It is an Ithaca model 37 in 12 gauge, and yes I still have it. That gun has killed a truckload or two of game over the years.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 1886 »

Early Marlin 39A that belonged to mom originally and passed to me. Gun was stolen from the house in 1981. If I ever catch the sons a b-----s! God have mercy on their butts. 1886.
Comal Forge
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Comal Forge »

I fired my first shot when I was about 6 and it was from the Marlin 39 I still have in the cabinet.
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

Yep.

I have my High School JROTC Remington 513-T. I was able to "liberate" it once Small Bore Rifle became too un-PC for High School any more.

And to think we once shot in the Gym...
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
GANJIRO

Post by GANJIRO »

My first real firearm I fired was not a 22 rimfire as my Dad did not own one but it was his 1903 Springfield, accurate with military peep, can ring the 8" steel gong at 200 yards all day. Sadly I inherited the Springfield back in June '07, I'd rather have my Dad back. :cry:
Rimfire McNutjob
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rimfire McNutjob »

My father's Remington 511 is what I learned on. It was the rifle my father learned with and was his first gun. I still have it today and taught my son to shoot with it. My son has moved to autos by adopting an HK300 that was in my safe. The 511 still has some good case colors on it but the barrel bluing is getting thin.

To this day, I am probably a better shot with that rifle than I am with any of the others I own. This is likely due to having run many 1000's of rounds through it when I was a kid. All of the places I used to go shooting with it in the woods are now large gated communities in Apopka, FL.
salvo
Senior Levergunner

Post by salvo »

My first gun I ever fired was my Dads Remington 552 Speedmaster .22, He still has it :D
My second gun was my Dads Marlin 336A 30-30 1949 vintage. Shot my first Mulie with it at age 12. Dad gave it to me after that. It has killed a mess of deer and it has been through a fire when our house was hit by lightning.
Wouldn't change a thing about it!

ScottS

"No arsenal, no weapon in the arsenals of the world, is so formidable as the will and moral courage of free men and women."
-- Ronald Reagan
Buffboy
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Buffboy »

First BB gun was the daisy styled like the winchester 94 at age 7. It broke internally and my father couldn't fix it so I saved my pennies, got a target daisy lever with the peep sights and still have that. Used the 94 as a toy for a long time after but it's long gone. First 22 was my father's Stevens Whippit, it's at my brother's house. First high powered rifle was a 30/30 1893 with a 26 octagon barrel that also belonged to my father, my brother has that. I got it's (fraternal :wink: )twin in 38-55 a few years back. Had a 30/30 short rifle 1893 for about 12 years before that(still have). First shotgun was a Stevens Topper Jr. 20 ga. that I still have, after it went through my brothers and their children, it wound up back with me. There's a grand nephew toddling around that will probably be getting it in a few year though.
"People who object to weapons aren't abolishing violence, they're begging for rule by brute force, when the biggest, strongest animals among men were always automatically 'right.' Guns ended that, and social democracy is a hollow farce without an armed populace to make it work."

- L. Neil Smith
buckeyeshooter
Senior Levergunner

Post by buckeyeshooter »

I have the Remington 121 that both my father and I learned to shoot on. Serial number around 2000 which dates it to the late teens. Still shoot it for small game and targets.
Jeff Pitts
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Jeff Pitts »

I learned to shoot with a Montgomery Ward bolt action single shot .22 rifle. My Dad still has it.

My first rifle was a Model 64 in 25-35 my Uncle gave me on my 14th birthday that I not only still have, but still shoot the daylights out of! Just worked up a really nice cast bullet load for it that I've been experimenting with using an RCBS 100 gr that is casting at about 108grs that I'm just substituting for the 117gr Hornady I've always used. Getting 1" groups at 50 yards, the farthest I've shot it so far :D

Jeff
iceman
Senior Levergunner

Post by iceman »

First firearm I fired was my Dad's Win model 67 with peep sights, single shot. I still have it. Before that a 22 cal pellet rifle, Daisy mod 94 look alike before that a Daisy colt 45 SA look alike. The small birds, squirrels and groundhogs around our home sure were nervous.
Happiness is a comfortable stump on a sunny south facing mountain.
Ben_Rumson
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ben_Rumson »

Noah Zark.. +1 Same rifle I learned on..Sorry to say theives made off with it & Gramp's Rem. Mod 10 that I later learned on when I got bigger..If I evva ketch the rat bastids.....
bogus bill
Levergunner 3.0

Post by bogus bill »

Yes I do. My dad bought this winchester octogon barrel model 61 .22 LR in the late 1930s. I learned to shoot with it. Dad was 6ft 5"s and added the block of wood to the stock. I have seen him hit a flying blackbird with it! Dad won a turkey shoot once with it. I remember seeing his competion with bolts and scopes and told him he wasnt going to do well. He just said, "they still got to hold those rifles", and he won! We would go to the dump and he taught me aerial shooting where I could shoot pill bottels in the air etc. He was good! Here is a picture of the gun and one of him in those days. He died at almost 90 in 2003. I had to take a 1917 .45 acp S&W from under his mattress when he went to the rest home. I am showing it also.
hfcable
Advanced Levergunner

Post by hfcable »

Bogus, great guns and great story....looks like you had a really great dad, too. He looks a bit like my dad and my grandfather. Those men were really MEN, not what passes for it in national politics and movies,etc. Thanks!
cable
Jarhead
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Jarhead »

Yep, My Dad's 1956 Pre-64 MOdel 70 30-06 and My Dad's High Standard 22 auto pistol... :D
jnyork
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jnyork »

Winchester 67 Youth, purchased new by me at age 8 or 9, this would have been about 1948. Still have it.
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

WELL THE FIRST GUN I EVER SHOT WAS A 38 SPECIAL SNUB
NOSE AT 7 YEARS OLD...MY FIRST GUN WAS A STEVENS MODEL 67D
SEMI AUTO 22 AND I STILL HAVE IT....LOVE THAT GUN...
GOT IT WHEN I WAS 15.....
DavidS
Levergunner 1.0

Post by DavidS »

Yes,I have my father's 1938 Mossberg .410 bolt action shotgun and his Winchester model 43 .22Hornet rifle. The Winchester has taken many Whistle Pigs.[groundhogs].
David S
Lobo
Member Emeritus

Post by Lobo »

No.....my brother has Dad's .22 .... the first rifle I shot, and I really learned how to shoot at Boy Scout camp. I must have fired 300 rounds that week.
Lobo in West Virginia
Old List Veteran..Five Years..Five Hundred Posts
Grizzly Adams
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Grizzly Adams »

Yep, still have it! Winchester model 1890 22 pump action. Granddad taught my brother and I to shoot with it. When we went to visit during the summers, he would let us take it rabbit hunting. Catch was, he would only give us one round each. If we missed, we had to walk back to the house for another round, and explain why we missed! :lol:
If you can read this, thank a teacher. If you can read this in English, thank a Vet!
COMNAVFORV, Vietnam 68-70
NRA Life, SASS Life, Banjo picking done cheap!

Quyana cekneq, Neva
JohnnyReb
Levergunner 2.0

Post by JohnnyReb »

Yes.
Savage/Stevens single shot (can't remember the model and it is buried deep in the safe) with the little pull button on the bolt to cock it.
Redneck suicide note: Here, hold my beer and watch this!!
JohnnyReb
Levergunner 2.0

Post by JohnnyReb »

Can't wait till J Miller posts a reply.....wonder which muzzleloader he used? Maybe a flintlock?

(Sorry, I could not resist.... :lol: )
Redneck suicide note: Here, hold my beer and watch this!!
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Yep - a H&R model 750 Pioneer my Mom & Dad bought me.

Going to have to snap a picture of it! :D
lever-4-life
Levergunner 2.0

Post by lever-4-life »

I have the second I ever fired, The first was my best friends marlin .22 I think I was 9?, the second gun I fired was the remington 34 .22 my neigbor gave me for a birthday gift
:D
Break on through to the other side!!!
roughing it
Levergunner

First Gun Ever Fired

Post by roughing it »

It was a Winchester model 69A .22 bolt action rifle that I bought for $10 from a family friend when I was a teenager. Still have that little beauty and many other hand and long guns acquired over the years.