model 336 iron sights

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
azmark
Levergunner 2.0

model 336 iron sights

Post by azmark »

What would you consider maximum range for accurate shots using the stock sights on a Marlin 336?
Mark Dickinson
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Not to be smart azzed, but that's up to you. The 336 is usually a 1 -2 MOA rifle....Learning to control it is another matter. Standing offhand, I'd prolly limit myself to about 100 yards. Supported is another matter and prolly limited to a known distance that I could draw a bead on the target.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

What Blaine said +1 ! :wink:
azmark
Levergunner 2.0

Post by azmark »

No, you're not being a smarta** at all. I understand I may not be as good a shot as other people. I just want to make sure I'm being reasonable. A guy I know wants to call coyotes. I need a rifle and need to keep costs down. I can get a cheap bolt action with a cheap scope for about the same money as a 336. I'm betting the 336 will be a better deal, all in all.
Mark Dickinson
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

azmark wrote:No, you're not being a smarta** at all. I understand I may not be as good a shot as other people. I just want to make sure I'm being reasonable. A guy I know wants to call coyotes. I need a rifle and need to keep costs down. I can get a cheap bolt action with a cheap scope for about the same money as a 336. I'm betting the 336 will be a better deal, all in all.
Ya know, if this is a dedicated yote setup, a NEF HandiRifle in .223 or .243 and a decent scope will put you in business right away and you'd have a decent 300 yard setup. Since you'll be yote'in a set of sticks will make a good solid support.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
azmark
Levergunner 2.0

Post by azmark »

No, not a dedicate yote setup. More like a multipurpose/fun setup. We get 2- and 4-legged predators around here. I'm a mile from the border so all kinds of folks sneak around nearby. We've also seen small black bear, mountain lions, coyotes, and bobcats. We also get skunks and javelina.
Mark Dickinson
wm
Senior Levergunner

Post by wm »

Well then you might consider a Handi Rifle in 308 or 7mm-08. It will give you a bit more range, buck the wind a little better and hammers bigger varmints.

My buddy Jeff & I have been thinking about calling in coyotes here in mid Michigan and I thought about putting together a coyote gun....my mind wandered to a Marlin 336, 26" barrel, chambered in 7-30 Waters.

This of course would have to be a custom job and I have not found the right base for the project but still it is near the top of my list of things to do.

Wm

P.S. I figure my buck horn sighted rifles are good out to 100 yards, with aperture sights I feel pretty confident out to 150 or maybe a hair more.
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

And what do you call accurate enough?
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

azmark
Levergunner 2.0

Post by azmark »

Accurate enough would be the ability to keep shots within about a 6" circle at 100 yds. I know I'm going to have to practice.
Mark Dickinson
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Should be a piece of cake to keep that rifle in a 6" circle at 100 with a load that agrees with it. How far out you can hold 6" depends on shooting position, your vision and your skill. 200 yds wouldn't surprise me. We don't have a 200 yd range but I would like to try that.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...