OT: I have a thing for axes.

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Blackhawk
Levergunner 3.0

OT: I have a thing for axes.

Post by Blackhawk »

I have two hatchets, a single bit, a double bit, a splitting maul, and no wood stove. :?

Is there something wrong with me?

I think I've got axeitous? :cry:

Been looking a Fiskars, Marbles, and Gransfors websites with lusting in my eyes. :oops:

That Marbles Hunter and Woodsman axes look like they would be a good companion in the woods or out at camp.

Found a cheap version of the Marbles Hunter on www.sportsmansguide.com for less money. Thinking of also using it to get into throwing an axe for fun.

I'm worried I have something soap wouldn't get off?

Anybody been down with this sort of bug before?

Johnny

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin
C. Cash
Advanced Levergunner

Post by C. Cash »

I love them too Johnny...always looking for the perfect axe just like the perfect knife. My only problem is, after they are dull I might as well throw them away, I am that inept at sharpening either. Like Promethius I keep trying though :oops: . Not to piggy back on to your thread, but if anyone remembers those nifty camp axes that were posted over on Leverguns about 4 years ago, I would appreciate the link. I have since lost it! Those looked to be quite the ideal axe for chopping wood or hacking away at your adversary.
But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8
Bronco
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Bronco »

Howdy,
Axes, knives, firearms, something about these things that my mind wraps around the functional art of it all. :D :D
John
Blackhawk
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Blackhawk »

Aint it the truth. I have a bunch of steel, railroad spikes, etc gathered to make knives and hatchets into one day when I get a forge up and going.

I grew up swinging either slege & wedge, splitting maul and/or axe to get wood ready for winter. Was one of those few things that my brother (older) and I use to see how good we were. I usually came out the better, for once.

I don't have a grinding disc to use on axes but I do use a flat file and can put a good edge on'em that way. I don't recall those hatchets, maybe someone will share a link. SOG makes a pretty good combat hatchet, from what I read.

I can't call myself a woodsman without having some sort of hatchet or axe around.

Johnny

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin
homefront
Levergunner 3.0

Post by homefront »

Have you visited these guys?
http://crosscutsaw.com/
Blackhawk
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Blackhawk »

homefront wrote:Have you visited these guys?
http://crosscutsaw.com/
Very nice website. Again, something that takes me back to my youth. My mother and father meet in the cotton fields picking cotton and also worked cutting logs. Not many people now days know about skidding with a pair of mules. My mom still has several old crosscut saws. A couple my sister has painted, the others are just hanging in her shop.

Johnny

Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

Mmmm Sharp Pointy Things...

If they ban guns, can I carry an Axe? :twisted:
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
lever-4-life
Levergunner 2.0

Post by lever-4-life »

If they ban guns, can I carry an Axe?
I also collect axes, I also have a few C.C.W. tomahawks, all I need now is a simply rugged for a tomahawk!! :D :D
Break on through to the other side!!!
cnjarvis
Senior Levergunner

Post by cnjarvis »

You're not alone.

I like cutting tools period. I'd like to have an axe but all I can find locally are those sissy 3.5 pounders. I want one that weighs in at 5#.
old goat
Levergunner 2.0

Post by old goat »

...For the axes that L.L.Bean at one time sold, with the Hudson Bay type heads, the manufacturer has a web site. They still list the kindling axe, and the camp axe, both with the Hudson Bay style heads. Good looking axes! May buy another axe myself!

...Axe fans, check them out!

http://www.snowandnealley.com/

...old goat
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

Bronco wrote:Howdy,
Axes, knives, firearms, something about these things that my mind wraps around the functional art of it all. :D :D
John
+1

I'm glad I'm not alone on this. When ever I get dragged into a "Garden Centre" by a member of the fair sex, I always make straight for the tools just to look at the Axes! :D
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

Can't fault you Blackhawk. I use a small Granfors for anything. Sometimes I just hook it on my belt and carry it when shooting or after strong winds to clear my paths of wind blow. Some times I use it for gutting rabbits in the field, when I get home I use a little old hatchet that lives in a block of ash to chop legs and heads. My Granfors is great at butchering deer too. A friend has the Granfors Hunters axe and he does his deer too. Mine is the next one up. I have an American made hatchet under the seat of my car just in case. I have to reshaft my splitter for logging this spring :(
I allways stone my edges except the splitter.
You can shave with a Granfors even after working your way through a 10" log :D
Working an axe is a very healthy lifestyle :D
Nath.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
AndyM
Levergunner 3.0

Post by AndyM »

I like the Cold Steel tomahawks.
We always have a wood target set up at our deer camp for throwing tomahawks. There is something very primevil about watching a tomahawk stick in a tree - that you have thrown
DerekR
Levergunner 2.0

Post by DerekR »

I grew up with two brothers, and we loved anything with a sharp edge. One summer my Dad got us all three machetes to "play" with. While building a magnificent fort down by the creek, my little brother cut my middle brother's thumb off. We all walked home and went to the clinic. They saved the thumb, by the way!
Derek aka "shootnfan"
Middle Tennessee

24 hours in a day.....24 beers in a case. Coincidense? I think not.
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

DereckR, :lol: :lol: :lol: I thought that was coming :lol:
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
Blackhawk
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Blackhawk »

DerekR wrote:I grew up with two brothers, and we loved anything with a sharp edge. One summer my Dad got us all three machetes to "play" with. While building a magnificent fort down by the creek, my little brother cut my middle brother's thumb off. We all walked home and went to the clinic. They saved the thumb, by the way!
Dang!

My older brother put his head in the way of my sister swinging an axe once. :!: He only did it once though.

My grandmother mixed coffee grounds and lard together and pasted it on his head and stopped the bleeding.

Good thing my sister couldn't swing an axe very good. :twisted:

Johnny

Swampman
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Swampman »

Me too....no woodsman should be without an axe.

"I have reached up to the gun rack and taken down the .30/30 carbine by some process of natural selection, not condoned perhaps by many experts but easily explained by those who spend long periods in the wilderness areas."~Calvin Rutstrum~

"You come to the swamp, you better leave your skirt at the house"~Dave Canterbury~
iceman
Senior Levergunner

Post by iceman »

I use an axe a fair amount. I split about 10 to 15 cords of wood a year by hand. That's enough for my Mom and myself. Almost every time I pick up an axe I think of what my Dad said to me when I started to split wood. He was watching me for a while and said "We should call you lightening." I said "Why because I'm fast?" He said "No you never hit the same place twice." I can do better now but still remember that. Sure miss him.
Happiness is a comfortable stump on a sunny south facing mountain.
Scott64A
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Scott64A »

Axe and ye shall recieve...

:lol:
Scott Young
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Scott Young »

swampman

how about giving the stats on your axe. i have seen it in several pictures and have been drooling.

i thought i have been living alone loving a forbidden lover all these years. when my son gets older he will learn to love the chore of splitting fire wood.
Swampman
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Swampman »

It's a Snow & Nealley Hudson Bay Axe. They are made in Bangor, Maine. The OAL is 23".

Here's another handforged from a gun barrel.

I have another small Hudson Bay axe, and a little bit bigger head that needs a handle. You can't have too many.
"I have reached up to the gun rack and taken down the .30/30 carbine by some process of natural selection, not condoned perhaps by many experts but easily explained by those who spend long periods in the wilderness areas."~Calvin Rutstrum~

"You come to the swamp, you better leave your skirt at the house"~Dave Canterbury~
brucew44guns
Senior Levergunner

axes

Post by brucew44guns »

I burned 7 or 8 cords every winter when I lived in Oregon for 19 years. Mostly Old Growth Douglas Fir. An axe would generally bust off a chunk about every lick if it was straight grained, might use a wedge a few times in a session of splitting. I miss it, good exercise.
To hell with them fellas, buzzards gotta eat same as the worms.
Outlaw Josey Wales

Member GOA
NRA Benefactor-Life
bigbore442001
Levergunner 3.0

Post by bigbore442001 »

Snow and Nealy are great axes. Still made in the good ole US of A. I have a kindling axe I keep in my truck at all times. It comes in handy for all sorts of jobs.

I hate to say it but the Marbles is made in China if I am not mistaken.
salvo
Senior Levergunner

Post by salvo »

I have two axes and one Boy Scout hatchet.

The first axe my dad gave me from his assortment when I was around 20 years old. It is marked "True Temper Flint Edge Kelly Works"

The next one was my Granddads, I found it at his cabin, he must have broke the handle and put it away in the shed. Been meening to get a new piece of hickory for it. It is market "Firestone Supreme"

My Boy Scout hatchet I got when I was 8 or 9 I would guess. Keep it razor sharp and in the bug out bag and camping/hunting trips. It has the boy scout emblem and is marked "Plumb"

I like anything with an edge :D
ScottS

"No arsenal, no weapon in the arsenals of the world, is so formidable as the will and moral courage of free men and women."
-- Ronald Reagan
Swampman
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Swampman »

'ems good uns!

C. Cash
Advanced Levergunner

Post by C. Cash »

Thanks Swampman. That was the one I was looking for!

http://www.3riversarchery.com/Product.asp?i=6325
But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8
Swampman
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Swampman »

I bought mine for $45.00 on eBay.

lever-4-life
Levergunner 2.0

Post by lever-4-life »

I picked up this six pound monster last week. Its an older collins built on the old german style. The cartridge is a .50 bmg (scale)
GANJIRO

Post by GANJIRO »

I love my Normark Swedish skinning axe, though my favorite is the Acts of the Apostles.
C. Cash
Advanced Levergunner

Post by C. Cash »

GANJIRO wrote:I love my Normark Swedish skinning axe, though my favorite is the Acts of the Apostles.

Badoom, Ding. :roll: But the I got killed by the Grizzly and my wife got mad, so I had to unkill myself still has me laughing :lol: :wink: Ok so you said it alot better Ji :oops:
gregg
Levergunner 2.0

Post by gregg »

Smoky Mountain Knife Works last flyer had nice looking Axes . Did not find the ones in the flyer but they have quite a few if you scrol thru.
$8.00 to $200 plus

http://www.eknifeworks.com/webapp/eComm ... t&Cat=7&A=
Rexster
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Rexster »

Several Granfors Bruks reside about the house, though they don't see much use, except a small forest axe that I use to trim certain feral trees in the yard.
Have Colts, will travel.

The avatar is the menuki of my Rob Douglas Wakisashi.
Blackhawk
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Blackhawk »

Nice links gentlemen.
I got killed by the Grizzly and my wife got mad, so I had to unkill myself.

:lol: Good one!

Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

Parden my ignorance but how much is a chord? It would be nice to know how much I get through.
Nath.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

Nath,
A chord of wood is 4x4x8 feet. and is in Volume 128 cubic feet!

Just about what a pick up with an 8 foot bed will hold. :wink:
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

Good on ya GK, I recon I use about 5 chords then.
Cheers, Nath.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
Bruce Scott
Senior Levergunner

Post by Bruce Scott »

I recently picked up an old 'Plumb' axe head for $10 in a junk shop. These used to be rated highly in Oz and I always took Plumb to be an Australian make. Apparently I was wrong....

Last edited by Bruce Scott on Wed Feb 20, 2008 5:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Blackhawk
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Blackhawk »

salvo wrote:I have two axes and one Boy Scout hatchet.

The first axe my dad gave me from his assortment when I was around 20 years old. It is marked "True Temper Flint Edge Kelly Works"

The next one was my Granddads, I found it at his cabin, he must have broke the handle and put it away in the shed. Been meening to get a new piece of hickory for it. It is market "Firestone Supreme"

My Boy Scout hatchet I got when I was 8 or 9 I would guess. Keep it razor sharp and in the bug out bag and camping/hunting trips. It has the boy scout emblem and is marked "Plumb"

I like anything with an edge :D
Salvo,

I have a True Temper just like that. My mother gave it to me. She thought that it was my grandpa's. But it could have been my dad's too.

bsaride
Senior Levergunner

Post by bsaride »

Here is what I did to make a decent camp ax.

1. Buy $20 eBay item.
2. spend weekend trimming it down so the head is tight and aligned with the handle.
3. trim top and bottom.
4. stain it.
5. Tea soak cordage from hardware store during #2.
6. Soak cordage in rubber cement, wrap handle, rubber cement again.

Can't really tell there is rubber in there but I hope that it will protect the wrap. Haven't decided if I want to add brass tacks or not. Wrap is not that light, it's from the flash.

KI6WZU
NRA member
"When they call the roll in the Senate, the Senators do not know whether to answer 'present' or 'not guilty.'"
--President Theodore Roosevelt (1858-1919)

“Democracy must be something more than two wolves and a sheep voting on what to have for dinner”
shawn_c992001
Levergunner 3.0

Post by shawn_c992001 »

I keep the SOG battle axe in my truck at all times and one in my pack when hunting. I had the tomahawk from SOG but the handle broke when cutting down a 4" Maple tree at work. The battle axe really holds an edge like nothing else and throws really good too.
SASS#43836
Ain't easy havin' pals.
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

While I appreciate the tradition and beauty of these wood handled axes, I prefer something a little more "bullet proof". This particular model of Estwing axe has been my friend since '98. There is no wood handle to replace or damage. It also has an added benefit of being perfect for tying rope around the neck below the axe head, and using it to throw the rope over a tree limb for "bear bagging" food, or hanging tarps. Much better then any other method I have tried. Also good for driving in tent stakes and chopping wood. Mines pretty banged up any more, and at long last, its due for replacement. I already have the long handled Estwing Camp Axe to go with it, but the Sportman's Axe is still my favorite for all around use. They are made with tool steel, by the way.

http://www.estwing.com/product.php?product_id=1600

-Tutt
bsaride
Senior Levergunner

Post by bsaride »

CowboyTutt wrote:While I appreciate the tradition and beauty of these wood handled axes, I prefer something a little more "bullet proof". -Tutt
I also have a metal hatchet and a fiberglass ax with a leather cover with
a case for a bastard file strapped to the handle. I would post pics, but you
haven't tried to get into my garage and I need a good weekend to go thru it.
KI6WZU
NRA member
"When they call the roll in the Senate, the Senators do not know whether to answer 'present' or 'not guilty.'"
--President Theodore Roosevelt (1858-1919)

“Democracy must be something more than two wolves and a sheep voting on what to have for dinner”
lever-4-life
Levergunner 2.0

Post by lever-4-life »

I have eastwings in all the trucks. They are a very good axe they are nice to have around!!
tabingcolt
Levergunner

Post by tabingcolt »

Big Bore 94
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Big Bore 94 »

Mine worked just fine in a riot in South Korea. I used the flat and backed'em up one hundred meters. :P