Found a '48 336SC in 30-30 - have questions

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
neil mitchell
Levergunner 1.0

Found a '48 336SC in 30-30 - have questions

Post by neil mitchell »

Been looking for an SC in .35 and found one at a pawn shop today in 30-30. Ser.#E387XX. Has the dark walnut stock in pretty good shape ,receiver has not been D&T'd . Didn't have a light with me so couldn't ck out bore. What I didn't like was the barrel and receiver have been "Parkerized".
I'm thinking very seriously of buying it when their doors open Monday A.M. after checking out the bore. (price was $299).

Neil

edit: Question is what can be done to the parkerized finish ?
NRA,Disabled Vietnam Veteran
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

It may be a fine shooter although as you know the collector value is shot.
A possible rebuilder if the parkerizing is not done over a heavy sand blast over rust pitting. Look close. :wink:
GEOFF
Levergunner 2.0

Post by GEOFF »

Neil,

I have a 1948 .30-30, serial number E339XX. Geez I love that little 336RC!! That gun is the definition of SMOOTH!!! I seriously marvel every time I cycle the action. I'd love to get a .35 in that same vintage someday.

I'd look seriously at it as a shooter but I'd hope since it's been parkerized that you could get it down in the $200 to $225 range. If the guy won't respond to fairly close to that price range I'd probably still pass. But like you say it hasn't been drilled on and the wood is good. And none of those crazy white line spacers yet and it would have that deep Ballard rifling. Pretty tempting but at a better price than it's being offered for.

Just my thoughts on the situation.

Geoff
wm
Senior Levergunner

Post by wm »

Price seems a bit high to me here in Michigan considering the condition. It might be an ideal candidate for a project gun.

As Chuck said look over & under that finish very closely.....that ended up on there for a reason.

Wm
Noah Zark
Senior Levergunner

Post by Noah Zark »

I agree, the price is on the high side. That would be a $175, maybe $225 gun at most here in central PA.

Noah
Might as well face it, you're addicted to guns . . .
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 1886 »

Guys gave you good advice. Look it over well. Best wishes. 1886.
neil mitchell
Levergunner 1.0

Post by neil mitchell »

The price for this gun is very good for East Texas. Most Marlins I see are over $300. I looked at the ONLY .35 336 I have found in a year of looking in gunshops and it was a CS model the pawn shop was asking $369 for . And it didn't last long. I have never even seen a 336SC for sale at any gunshop/pawnshop or in the want ads from Houston to Shreveport,La. These guns are very scarce in this part of the country.
I know it sounds like I am trying to talk myself into buying this gun :roll:
Maybe I am!

Neil
NRA,Disabled Vietnam Veteran