348 winchester old ammo and questions

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
coyote nose
Levergunner 2.0

348 winchester old ammo and questions

Post by coyote nose »

I will try to post pictures tomorrow. Have been buying up lots of old 348 Winchester ammo and have several questions.
1. Have some 250 GN silvertips in Super X cases. Pulled the bullets and some have a flat base and some have a concave base. Anybody know what years Winchester did the switch? Flat base came in a yellow and blue box. There is between 50 and 51.5 GNs of stick powder (looks like 4064 but I dont know) in each case.
2. Have a box marked remington kleenbore 150 Gn. Pulled the bullets and it is a 150 GN bullet that is quite short..not much sticking out of the case. Powder charge averages 47.3 GNs of a large stick type powder.
3. Have Super X cases with what looks like the short 150 GN bullet in it...not much sticking out. I pulled them and lo and behold....220 GN bullets (!?) Did winchester make a 220 GN bullet? I read that Peters Cartridge Co did. The cases are clean inside and do not look reloaded. Powder charge averages 54.9 GNs.
4. Have Super X cartridges that have a 150 GN bullet in it and 51.5 Gns powder.
Again...I'll try to get pics tomorrow.
"...for there is a cloud on my horizon...and its name is progress." E. Abbey, 1958
mod71alaska
Senior Levergunner

Re: 348 winchester old ammo and questions

Post by mod71alaska »

PM WinM71 if he doesn't jump in here. He really knows these vintage .348 cartridges.
coyote nose
Levergunner 2.0

Re: 348 winchester old ammo and questions

Post by coyote nose »

Okay here it is
on the left is the 250 Silvertip with the flat base pulled from a round from the box in the background. Any body know the years this box was used? Next is a 250 concave base silvertip from a loose round in a super-x case. Anybody know when they made the switch? Next is a 220 GN from a Super-x case. Then a 150 GN from a super-x case.
"...for there is a cloud on my horizon...and its name is progress." E. Abbey, 1958