5020 John Deere w/v-8 engine & BIG BUD

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
getitdone1
Senior Levergunner

5020 John Deere w/v-8 engine & BIG BUD

Post by getitdone1 »

Some time ago I posted a picture of my 5020 John Deer tractor.

Here's a video of the same model tractor but with a v-8 engine. More than twice the power of mine. Notice driver is wearing hearing protection and you can 'hear why!' The implement he's pulling is'nt very wide--especially by todays standards--but it pulls hard. Still, he says he's pulling it in 6th gear and probably 6-7 mph. The tractor has 8 gears forward. His rear tires are 26" wide while mine are 30". Suppose he has the huge 1500 lb weights inside EACH rear wheel and maybe even some 'fluid' in the tires in order to have the traction needed for so much horsepower. When you up the horsepower this much from factory specs you surely have to be overloading the 'rearend' and axles. I'd expect a lot of 'downtime' with this tractor.

Headphone plugged into your computer will allow you to fully appreciate the sound of this tractor.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OXLP4XA-fLc

Years ago a rich farmer south of us in an area called 'The Goose Pond' used several pairs of 5020's-one hooked onto the front of the other--each with big Caterpillar engines to plow that extra tough soil. I never seen this but wish I had.

BIG BUD:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Dw_6k16 ... re=related

I seen Big Bud in action at Rantoul, Ill. Well worth the trip. Pulled a 15-18s bottom plow. Know it could have pulled quite a bit more. Engine has a great sound. It's been around the country since first built and now is on a large wheat farm not many miles from where it was built. They hooked it to, I believe, 2 'pulling sleds' at Rantoul (wasn't there that night) and it pulled them both, both loaded to the max. You can see this on YouTube.

1000 hp--95,000 lbs. A real monster. Believe the largest 4-wheel drive John Deere tractor has 560 hp.

Don
harry
Senior Levergunner

Re: 5020 John Deere w/v-8 engine & BIG BUD

Post by harry »

Big Bud was a good tractor, but Curtis Rite of Great Falls built 35 of his tractors and they would keep up with the Bud all day:
http://agmachinery.proboards.com/index. ... hread=1547\
Harry
Trump 2024

All responses have been cleared by the law firm of "Elmer and Fudd."
clampdaddy
Levergunner

Post by clampdaddy »

Let's see a pic of your 5020. When I was a kid we had a bunch of the new generation Deeres and the 5020 was my favorite. My grandpa and great uncle pumped it up to a dynoed 187 hp. My cousin later replaced the 5020 with a 6030 but got real expensive to run because it would twist axles in half before the engine would peter out. I'm more of a 2 cylinder guy and spend my spare time playing with a 1948 model A. They're easier to work on much cheaper to keep running. :lol:
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Supposedly (according to his sister, who is a patient of mine), the guy who used to tenant-farm the place we moved to where I grew up, was the first one (at least around here) to make a four-wheel-drive tractor. I think he literally cut two 'regular' tractors in half, and from what she said, he had the two separate engines driving the wheels (one geared in permanent 'reverse'), hooked up to the same throttle controls. This would have been in the 1930's I guess.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

8) 8) 8)
Because I Can, and Have
-------------------------------------------------------------
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Disclaimer, not responsible for anyone copying or building anything i make.
Always consult an expert first.
pdawg.shooter
Levergunner 2.0

Post by pdawg.shooter »

That JD is running an 8v71 Detroit and yes they DO scream (especially since they are a 2-cycle engine).