Spencer repeaters

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
mklwhite
Levergunner 2.0

Spencer repeaters

Post by mklwhite »

We were talking War of Northern aggression at the office the other day and Spencers were brought up. One of the guys there said he had either seen/or knew of a modern Spencer remake that either shot 45 colts or 44 mags (he couldn't remember which). I question him on if he was thinking 45 Schofield or 44-40, but he that these were more "modern" cartridges. Anyhow I can't seem to find anything online about them. Does anyone know if anyone is making such a thing?
Texican
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Texican »

Texican

Gentlemanly Rogue, Projectilist of Distinction, and Son of Old Republic

dsmith512
Levergunner 2.0

Post by dsmith512 »

Hobie

Post by Hobie »

That Romano is the bomb...
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Jimbo
Levergunner

Post by Jimbo »

There have been articles on the spencer carbine in recent years- I saw one about Christmas time (2007) in Guns and Ammo or Shooting times (I forget which) and they reviewed the Cimmaron version using the 56-50 cartridge. I know Taylors has one in 45 schofield and or 44 russian too. A year or three back I think Rifle magazine did a review of the Taylors version. If you search the web you might find copies of these articles. The reason for the short cartridges is the length of the lever throw I believe- they were never designed to take longer cartridges. They aren't cheap however- last price I saw mentioned was around $1200.
El Mac
Levergunner 2.0

Post by El Mac »

Hobie wrote:That Romano is the bomb...
Holy chopsticks! Look at the drive on that pup!!! Man that is harsh.
mklwhite
Levergunner 2.0

Post by mklwhite »

Uh-oh. Now you've got me thinking about getting something else I don't need. The Ramano is just too big a chunk for me to even drool over. The Cimarron is getting closer. Having a hard time finding a price on the armi-sport 1860 Spencer Carbine in the 45 LC. I think one of those in a 45 Colt would be something to save up for!

Does anyone have one? If so what do they think about it. (accuracy, function and so forth)
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

Cimarron shows one in .45 Colt. I think .44-40 would be a better cartridge due to better obturation and less gunk in the action to gum up the works. :wink:
Andrew
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Andrew »

Didn't Kid have a range session with a Spencer awhile back? It think it was in 44 Russian, could that be it?
ImageImage
Qui tacet consentit. (silence implies consent)
The Boring Blog
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Andrew -

Your memory is spot on - one of the blessings of youth! :wink:

Yep, Taylor's imports the Armi Sport in three calibers, .56-50 (a centerfire version of the original .56-50 rimfire round), .45 Schofield and .44 Russian. The action on the Spencer can't handle longer rounds, so these "stubby" ones will have to do.

My carbine was a blast to shoot. You should be able to find the post if you do a search.

Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

mklwhite wrote: Does anyone have one? If so what do they think about it. (accuracy, function and so forth)
Accuracy?

Granted, the range was only 25 yards (indoors), and this was the first time out. It'll do. :D

Function - flawless. You just need to get the hang of the action. Remember to cock the piece manually takes some getting used to. :wink: