.32-20 will not chamber rounds

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
RJS
Levergunner 1.0

.32-20 will not chamber rounds

Post by RJS »

I recently purchased a new Marlin 1894 CL in .32-20. My problem is it won't chamber the Hdy 100gr. xtp or the Ranier 100gr. The Bolt will close if I horse it shut, but it engraves the start of rifling into the bullet, that's not good!
It chambers the Speer 100gr. hollow point just fine.
The Speer measures out at .309" above the cannalure while the other bullets are .311"
The barrel slugged out to be .311, so it's not a .308".
Anybody seen this problem?
Thanks ,Ron
Leverdude
Senior Levergunner

Post by Leverdude »

Theres different brass lengths out there. Maybe you have long cases & a short chamber. I'd build a dummy round & seat it back little by little until it clears the rifling. If its beyond the crimp groove trim your cases back.
RJS
Levergunner 1.0

Post by RJS »

Thank You for reply.
On a dummy round it pushes the bullet to 1.545" c.o.a.l If I set it back to 1.540" will that raise my pressure too high?
Min oal for the 100gr.xtp is 1.565" according to Lee's Modern Reloading.
[img][img]http://i263.photobucket.com/albums/ii15 ... -20001.jpg[/img][/img] Sorry for the poor quality photo ,but here she is.

THE MARLIN IN 32-20 WILL TAKE 50,000 PSI... SO I WOULDN'T WORRY ABOUT RAISING PRESSURE... I USE 11 GRAINS OF 2400 WITH BOTH BULLETS YOU USE.. WITHOUT A PROBLEM... PACO
Leverdude
Senior Levergunner

Post by Leverdude »

I dont load them hot anyway so what I would do is look at a few more manuals & what they suggest as COAL (might not all be equal) & proceed with caution. IMHO if your not pushing the envelope .020 isn't alot. OAL is decieving anyway as it pertains to capacity or pressure.
runfiverun
Levergunner 2.0

Post by runfiverun »

check that case length if you are jammin the bullits into the
rifling you may be smashing the end of the case think re-crimp
it won't let go of the bullet and will raise pressures more than a slightly
short case
Gihon
Levergunner

Post by Gihon »

RJS,
Nice looking Marlin, but you might want to let the hammer down on that rig.
cecil
Levergunner

Post by cecil »

Might be worth it to read Speer's, and others takes on loading the 32-20 for the newer Marlins. Just started loading for A newer Marlin 32-20, and it will not chamber rounds loaded out near or to the listed max COL. Had to trim back Starline brass to be able to seat HDY or Speer 100 100 grain jhps to the crimp groove, without jamming bullet into rifling. Even after i sent it back for this and other problems. They did "polish" the lead into the rifling, which allowed a slightly longer COL, but not out to the max.
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

Have you tried factory ammo in it yet?
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
Leverluver
Senior Levergunner

Post by Leverluver »

I've fired probably in excess of 5,000 pressure shots in over 25 cartridges and it is pretty clear to me that you will be making a lot more pressure by being jammed into the rifling than you ever will be by backing off just enough to NOT be jammed in the rifling. If the rifling requires you to be shorter than the min OAL, you have to take that into consideration when figuring the top load for YOUR rifle.
RJS
Levergunner 1.0

Post by RJS »

Thanks guys ,I do have a speer's #13 and a Lyman's 48.
The Speer's manual has a lab note about Remington cases being 0.025 longer than Starline or Winchester cases and to trim them to 1.280" with 100gr jhp
I failed to mention I'm using starline cases and most of mine are 1.280" or less.
Gihon, Yeah I failed to bring the hammer down to half cock :oops: , but at least the crossbolt safety is on.
Thanks again ,Ron
RJS
Levergunner 1.0

Post by RJS »

JerryB, No I have not tried factory stuff yet.
I'll load it like a old timer for now . It does chamber the speer 100gr.jhp just fine . It was loaded over 11.0 gr of H110 and showed no signs of over pressure. Can't see with the semi buckhorn rear sights, so I can't vouch for It's accuracy. Have to get Skinner sight for it. lol
Ron
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

rjs,I used to have a good load for the 100gr plinker and some Unique but I can't remember how much I used. I like the 85gr XTP in my 92 Winchester.
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
jdad
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jdad »

My 1894CL had to be scrapped and Marlin built me a new one. Out of the box and after 2 visits to the factory it still was not right. They could not get it feed, with 100% reliability. I'm using a 115gr Laser Cast. They built me a new rifle on a 2006 receiver and all is well. If you noticed, Marlin dropped the 1894CL from their 2008 catalog.

kentdep
Levergunner 1.0

Post by kentdep »

This isn't the kind of post that I want to read right now. I just bought a 1894CL in .25-20. I got it used and cheap. Now I am nervous. :roll:

I have brass on the way but havn't bought dies yet. Maybe I should go get some factory ammo and try it before I invest much more on my gun :?:

Jay
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by .45colt »

kentdep, don't get too worried about it. I bought a CL 32-20 made in 1989 that is a sweetheart :wink: . work up some loads and see what happens.
RJS
Levergunner 1.0

Post by RJS »

Hey mine feeds rounds just fine, but will only chamber one so far .
Maybe fire lapping it will help ?
Ron
jnyork
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jnyork »

I have had absolutely no problem with mine, it has become one of my favorite rifles.

Firelapping will do absolutely nothing for your problem, your problem is in your loads. I dont know exactly what it is, but it's in your loads.
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Did you read the suggestion to load for your rifle (including COL)? Simple fix.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
MSJ
Levergunner

Post by MSJ »

I used to have an older 1894CL in 32-20 a few years ago. The problem with these rifles in they have a very short throat. I could not get the Speer or Hornady bullets to chamber in mine without modifying my brass (R-P). All you need to do is trim your brass back a bit. Then you can seat to the cannelure and they won't jam into the rifling when you chamber them.
Matt
runfiverun
Levergunner 2.0

Post by runfiverun »

did you full length size your brass
on some of these type of cases the body is a bit big
and the shoulders can be too far forward
i've actually had these type of cases shorten after firing.
from refitting the shoulders etc..
but they were a pain to get in the cylinders chamber etc the first time.
your dies may not be compatible with your brass
had some rcbs dies and win brass that aggravated me to death in 38-40
RJS
Levergunner 1.0

Post by RJS »

Thank you Gentlemen again for your advice and suggestions.
I will load for the rifle !
Ron
cnjarvis
Senior Levergunner

Post by cnjarvis »

rjs wrote:Thanks guys ,I do have a speer's #13 and a Lyman's 48.
The Speer's manual has a lab note about Remington cases being 0.025 longer than Starline or Winchester cases and to trim them to 1.280" with 100gr jhp
I failed to mention I'm using starline cases and most of mine are 1.280" or less.
Gihon, Yeah I failed to bring the hammer down to half cock :oops: , but at least the crossbolt safety is on.
Thanks again ,Ron
Check out the latest issue of Handloader Magazine # 252. Nice article about the 32-30 in there. Pierce mentions that trimming cases back to 1.280" may be necessary for Marlin and Browning leverguns to keep loaded rounds from contacting the rifling.
cecil
Levergunner

Post by cecil »

Have an older 1894 CL 25-20 that feeds slick as snot. The new 32-20 bought had an "new improved" lifter (or what ever that part is called), that seemed to be most of the reason my rifle jammed up consistently. As the 25-20 and 32-20 are essentially the same case, makes ya wonder why Marlin cahnged a perfectly good part?
Leverdude
Senior Levergunner

Post by Leverdude »

makes ya wonder why Marlin cahnged a perfectly good part?
ALL the new 1894's have the new fangled lifter. Havent had the pleasure of fooling with one yet but seeing as how I hear of them not working so good maybe it wont be a pleasure if I do. :lol: