What guns have you let go? That you miss.

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
hightime
Senior Levergunner

Re: What guns have you let go? That you miss.

Post by hightime »

Sorry to here about your loss reddnek. Were they in a safe?

Getitdone, I kept my 22 Diamondback. I was lucky.

Owen
Canuck Bob
Senior Levergunner

Post by Canuck Bob »

Early Ruger No1 Tropical with a receiver sight in 375 H&H. It had the early looong throat and handled 300 grainers just right.
336A
Levergunner 2.0

Post by 336A »

My Marlin 336C I bought used back in 1994. Darn thing shot great with 170gr Federal ammo.
Second was my plane jane Maverick 12GA 88, plain 28" barrel with a fixed modified choke and single bead. That shotgun sold me on modiefied chokes. I took a lot of game to include my first turkey and deer with that shotgun.
375hh1973
Levergunner 1.0

Post by 375hh1973 »

I can think of 3:

1. Colt 8" Anaconda .44mag scoped with Leupold 2x. Shot lights out. Killed a bunch of deer out to 100 yds. First hunting pistol.

2. Winchester M94 .356win scoped with Leupold 2.5-8x36. Miss that handy levergun!

3. Winchester M70 ss/syn in .338win. Crazy accurate for out of the box factory gun. Sold it to a buddy who was low on funds and needed a rifle who moved to Montana. Jerk wont sell it back!!!
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

Really only one. When I went into the service, I gave my Nylon 66 to a cousin. I have tried for years to talk him into giving it back, not really, but I tease him from time to time. Good news is, I found one at a shop a while back. Other than a bit of honest wear, and less than what I put on mine, it's in great shape. Hmm, need to take it out and relive my youth.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
edwardyoung
Levergunner 2.0

Post by edwardyoung »

The three that sprang to mind were two 4 5/8 44mag stainless Vaqueros, and a 4 5/8 44mag stainless Super Blackhawk that I had a fluted cylinder fit to, the action slicked up on, and added a scrimshawed set of ivorex grips to. The Vaqueros went to a friend that had to have them. The Super was traded for my first 1911, a Colt Officers ACP. I don't have it any more, either.

And, generally speaking, the 100-or-so guns I sold after my wife left to keep my boy and me in food and shelter. Oh well....
getitdone1
Senior Levergunner

Post by getitdone1 »

hightime wrote:Sorry to here about your loss reddnek. Were they in a safe?

Getitdone, I kept my 22 Diamondback. I was lucky.

Owen
hightime,

It's a dandy for sure. Action felt very much like the Phython. The grips were very similar to the Phython's. Today's big price tells you what people think of them.

Don
hightime
Senior Levergunner

Post by hightime »

The Colt Diamondback 22 cal.

Owen
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

None. I've had countless guns I let get away and kicked myself for not buying in the first place, but firearms tend to come into the stable and rarely leave. The few I've sold were absolute dogs.
kemosabi45
Levergunner 1.0

Post by kemosabi45 »

I have only sold 8 but the one that I wish i had back is a Ruger sp101 3" ported with trigger work. I traded it for a XD45 and I love my XD but I wish I would have kept the SP101 and just bought the XD outright.

Sold: 3 SKS's, Winchester pump, 3 Taurus revolvers, H&R Revolver 32, SP101,
Gave away: 5 guns as gifts to my sons and wife....no regrets just happy memories
1894c

Post by 1894c »

kimwcook wrote:
reddnek wrote:All of the 19 stolen from my house this summer while I was out of town visiting my kids
That really sucks. Sorry to hear that.
me too...I hate thieves... :\
pricedo
Levergunner 2.0

Post by pricedo »

BSA Monarch bolt in 7mm Rem Mag - dog - good riddance

Win Mod 70 (1973) again in 7mm Rem Mag, Win Mod 70 (1973) .375 H&H - both dogs with checkering that looked like it was done by a 6 year old with a dull jack knife.

Win Mod 70 Featherweight (1960?) in .308 Win - a winner - gave it to a relative & have been regretting it ever since.

Some guns I shot the barrels out then threw on some touch up bluing, a coat of varnish or shellac & dumped for what I could get for them.

I should have been a used car salesman.
NRA & GOA LIFE MEMBER
Ben_Rumson
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ben_Rumson »

In order of regret...
A Dad made steel Carbide cannon he made for us kids... that had a 24" lathe turned step tapered barrel... It was laying half buried in the back yard of our old place when I moved away.. I saw it back there, but in my 20 y/o mind, saw it as "just kid stuff" when I had a last look around...
6” K22 Masterpiece TT TH
Absolutely mint 71/84 Mauser
"IT IS MY OPINION, AND I AM CORRECT SO DON'T ARGUE, THE 99 SAVAGE IS THE FINEST RIFLE EVER MADE IN AMERICA."
WIL TERRY
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by .45colt »

I didn't get married till I was 27 and I always had a paycheck in My pocket. when I list the guns I have bought and sold people will call Me a liar. I never had any real high end stuff but the one I regretted was a Charles Daley model 500 made by Miroku. bought it for $250 in 1975 and around 1980 sold it to one of My relitives in a weak moment. 30" barrels and points and handles like a 20ga. I hadn't seen it in 30 years and last year when they needed money I bought a bunch of stuff from them. like the one here. http://www.chuckhawks.com/charles_daly_500_shotguns.htm
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

Weatherby vanguard in 300 WBY purchased for me by my dad. Was on the verge of financial ruin 11 years ago and the proceeds from this and my aviation toolset helped me get through the winter.

I've replaced it since, but its still not the same
----- Doug
WyoShooter
Levergunner

Post by WyoShooter »

A few I sold and would like to have back.
All Winchester 1917 Enfield.
Colt Woodsman 1st issue .22 semi-auto pistol
Colt Challenger .22 semi-auto pistol
Browning Nomad .22 semi-auto pistol
Winchester model 61 .22 hammerless pump rifle
"In the beginning of a change the Patriot is a scarce man, and brave, and hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a Patriot."
Mitch1352
Levergunner

Post by Mitch1352 »

A P-08 Luger that was 98%, a 3" Smith Model 66 and a High Standard Victor. All fairly plain but I kinda wish I had kept them.
Courage is being scared to death...and saddling up anyway
pricedo
Levergunner 2.0

Post by pricedo »

reddnek wrote:All of the 19 stolen from my house this summer while I was out of town visiting my kids
I live in the city & don't advertise the fact that I own guns.

Handguns are in big demand in "the hood" & I don't broadcast the fact that I have a bunch of em.

No NRA stickers on car & no orange hats or hunting clothes visible in car or truck when I'm traveling with firearms aboard.

The neighbors don't even know I own guns.

If you advertise the fact that there are a lot of guns in your home eventually that information gets to the wrong ears & guess what you don't have any guns any more.
NRA & GOA LIFE MEMBER
stew71
Senior Levergunner

Post by stew71 »

It may sound funny, but I regret selling off a pristine M48 Yugo Mauser. At the time, I never really shot it much so it went bye-bye to make room for something else. Now I wish I could have that action back to build up a nice custom rifle.

Stupid, stupid.
Some people just need a sympathetic pat on the head.....with a hammer. Repeatedly.
BAGTIC
Levergunner 3.0

Post by BAGTIC »

A S&W 625-5 (stainless) in .45 Colt. I sold it after I got a .45 Colt carbine that I used with .45 Colt +P ammo. I had two other .45 Colt revolvers, an Anaconda and a Redhawk, but I was afraid that someday the +P ammo might accidentally find its way into the S&W. As it turned out I have never shot the carbine nearly as much as I used to shoot the S&W. It was the only Colt .45 I had that my wife would shoot because the fit. Wish I had kept it.

When I was in my 20's I had to sell my Colt Woodsman Match Target 6" to pay tuition. I hated doing that. By the time I had I graduated and goten a job they were discontinued. I did find a fine used one exactly like it later. It shoots as well as the original but it is not the same as the original was the first handgun I ever owned.
TMair
Levergunner 2.0

Post by TMair »

Canuck Bob wrote:Early Ruger No1 Tropical with a receiver sight in 375 H&H. It had the early looong throat and handled 300 grainers just right.
I had that same gun, I thought it was pretty cool, great to look at, but I got tired of it unloading it's self wile I was carrying it on hunts, so I let it go, and got me a custom made 416 remington magnum, mouser action, fully adjustable trigger, I wish I would have had it made in 375 H&H, best cartridge on the planet for big game...in my opinion :D
Terry
FatJackDurham
Senior Levergunner

Post by FatJackDurham »

Hopkins & Allen rolling block .22, probably a model 722, Indian engraving on the receiver, about 100 years old, dead nuts accurate to 75 yards, occasionally ruptured one cartridge out of five, you know, just to keep you interested. Bought for $120, sold for $50.

I didn't know you could get the chamber fixed. Wish I still had it. I am looking at a Stevens Favorite to recapture the love.
win7094M1
Levergunner 2.0

Post by win7094M1 »

A '60's three screw Ruger Single Six with extra .22 Magnum cylinder,original box, papers, and Western gunbelt-traded it thirty years ago for a Remington 511 .22 rifle and a Remington 10 pumpgun. Still have the 511. I was in college at the time and was broke at the time. Ah, the stupidity of youth.....
Winchester M94 30-30 (1980)
Winchester M70 Westerner 30-06 (1982)
Winchester M1 Garand (1942)
Too many others to list - hope to add more levers soon.
jens5
Levergunner

Post by jens5 »

Savage commemorative Model 99 /308 lever.
S&W stainless kit .22lr gun
G33/40 German "Alpine" Mauser 8mm
Baby Browning .25acp
hightime
Senior Levergunner

Post by hightime »

This is getting depressing. Oh to get them all back again.

Owen
Poohgyrr
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Poohgyrr »

Out of the ones I've bought, and sold, two are remembered.

First is the Coonan 357 Magnum Automatic, an original model B. Sweet 1911 that always shot well for me. One of my most accurate pistols, two handed and standing, that I ever owned. Much less recoil than a 4" revolver. I really should have kept it.

Second is a 640-1 Smith J frame. Reliable, accurate, real handy. I still have its' twin, but should never have sold the first one.
John
Family, blue steel & wood, hot biscuits, and fresh coffee.
Luke 22:36 Romans 12:17-21 Ephesians 4:26-32
"Life brings sorrow and joy alike. It is what a man does with them - not what they do to him - that is the true test of his mettle." T. Roosevelt