Rattling forend on Win M71

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Old Shatterhand
Levergunner 2.0

Rattling forend on Win M71

Post by Old Shatterhand »

Hopely you can advice me how to do with the rattling forend on my M71. It looks like the forend is slightly short - perhaps 1/64" or less, just enuogh to allow some rattling. There are some alternative solutions, which I have considered: bedding the forend at the reciever to correct length or a more lazy one with simply an o-ring on the mag tube at the receiver.

The gun is a 1948 vintage standard rifle in good and unaltered shape. It seems to be more worn by carrying in the forests than by shooting.

Grateful for your advicing! :)

Pete
Winchester model 88 .308 WCF
Winchester model 71 .348 WCF
winchester1886
Levergunner 2.0

Re: Rattling forend on Win M71

Post by winchester1886 »

A quick easy fix I have used, is a piece of rag wrapped around the mag tube once or twice, then put forend back on never rattles again. Doesn't cost much either.
Leverluver
Senior Levergunner

Post by Leverluver »

Not uncommon in 71s. I guess it is from the wood shrinking with age. Seen some that feel like a short stroke pump. I don't recall whether my Browning 71 had it but some of the new Mirokus (have several and don't recall which) are using small springs at the rear of the forend that pushed the forend forward to take out the slack. Don't know how well that would work on an original as the Mirokus have little slack to begin with and really don't need the springs.....yet.
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

Most of my levers end up this way, as it's very dry where I live. I simply live with it and don't let it bother me. I vaguely recall reading that some felt this was good, as it indicated there wasn't tension on the wood/barrel that could affect accuracy. I don't know if it's true or not, but it just doesnt bother me. If taking my guns to parts of the country that are more humid, I don't have to worry about them swelling and getting too tight. That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

I've never seen or heard of springs behind forends, but I dont think it would work or help. The spring would have to be extremely strong to keep a fore end from moving.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Isnt it amazing how many people post without reading the thread?
John in MS
Levergunner 2.0

Post by John in MS »

I saw this problem on a Win. 71 once... it turned out that the screws going into the forend cap were loose on both sides. Tightening them fixed the problem easily!

John
"Pistols do not win wars, but they save the lives of the men who do. The noble 1911 is a mechanical marvel, whose ruggedness, dependability & ferocious power have comforted four issues of GIs and which, unlike any other instrument you can name, is as much superior to its rivals today as it was in 1917."
-Col. Jeff Cooper, 1968
LeverBob
Senior Levergunner

Post by LeverBob »

A solution for a a fore stock fix came for me from Steve Regwell on the .303 site. I tightened up my No.4Mk1* enfield forestock using strips from a business card. I was able to register 7 lbs. of forend pressure without any permenant changes (to keep it match acceptable) using his methods. Seeing that he was a Canadian armorer in the army for over 20 yrs, I took his advice & used his methods to tighten it all up.

Groups shrunk to under 2"s for 5 shots using 50's suplus ammo. Was I pleased? Your betcha!!! 8)

This might be a solution that is cheap & repeatable Pard.

lB
Old Shatterhand
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Old Shatterhand »

Thanks for all inputs! Johns tip about tightening the screws did the job, and the maraccas feel is away. :)

BTW, I shot my first shots with the M71 today. The irons were hard to see, but I managed 2" at 60 yards with Winchester 200 grs Silvertip factory ammo. My own load with Barne's 250 grs FN went over the target into the sloop behind.

Now I have to put some more useful sights on it. Anyone tried Marble's Bull's Eye? But my first choice will be to cautiously widen the U-notch and putting a Firesight at the muzzle.

Pete
Winchester model 88 .308 WCF
Winchester model 71 .348 WCF