european type blueing

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
smokenrust
Levergunner 2.0

european type blueing

Post by smokenrust »

Ok, guys, what kind of a finish does european type blueing give?
What is the stuff worth if its worth anything by the gallon?
Or best just take parts to the bluers?
mmm, Are the bluers bluer than blue? :lol: :lol: Where's the blue laughers?
Lastly, are there any good books on blueing and types of blueing?
Thanks, SnR
(discloser) Not a gunsmith, just a tinkerer at heart, it gets me into trouble, When I take it apart...
Cliff
Levergunner 3.0

Re: european type blueing

Post by Cliff »

European type blueing? I would contact someone like Brownell's they are kind of the go to store for refinishing. In europe you get what you pay for. Expensive blueing would probably be rust blued hand finished, then on down to painting the metal, what their military guns usually do. Big thing on any refinishing or blueing proceedure is the way you finish the metal prior to the application of the process. The piece being blued will not cover poor metal surface prep. I recommend no buffing prior to application, rather proper polish with abrasive material. Try to visit a shop that offers refinishing, you will find their polishers are usually experienced and knowledgeable, they can make it look easy but it isn't. I know one shop that does good work, their metal finisher (polisher) got mad and quit. The shop would have folded if they hadn't talked him into coming back. Just a quick answer and I am sure others on the forum will have more and probably useful information. Good Luck............
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Re: european type blueing

Post by Pete44ru »

Yes, there's several different results, from the various different ways of bluing gunmetal - cold blue, rust blue, hot blue (which is a blue/black), etc, etc.

The appearance(s) of the final blued product also have a LOT to do with the metal prep, especially polishing - the type & amount: like high polish, satin polish, matte polish, shoeshine method, etc.

A great job takes much skill, knowledge & some equipment - something best farmed out unless one's dedicated & patient.