Tractor Gun Rack

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Windjammer
Levergunner 1.0

Tractor Gun Rack

Post by Windjammer »

I'm looking for suggestions on carrying a shotgun on a tractor. Open to all ideas on a rack or scabbard.
Reqards,
Windjammer
Cliff
Levergunner 3.0

Re: Tractor Gun Rack

Post by Cliff »

This a hard on to answer. Sort of like buying clothing for a woman. What size shotgun, what type of tractor. What type of enviorment will it be used in, dusty, wet, and so on. I find sportsmans guide catalog had some nice shotgun scabbards which work will with some of my stuff. Also work well with leverguns. about 30 bucks or so. There are some pricey ones which are closer to a closed gun case, which may offer more protection for the shotgun but take more time to get to the shotgun. May want to check out both Cabela's, sportsmans Guide and Cheaper than dirt catalogs or on line. Mounting it securely is important as well. I like the Sportsmans Guide Voodoo Tactical M.O.L.L.E. Shoulder shotugn scabbard. comes in three colors. Part or stock number is H1A-0144035C. Colors are Black, Olive Drab, and Coyote Tan. Cost is given as 24.97. There is some buyers clug discount reduces the cost to 22.47. They carry my Remington 870 18and 1/2 inche fine, also my Stevens 311R double with 20" barrels, and several leveractions just fine. I don't own or endorse products. http://www.sportsmansguide.com if you want to see what they look like. They have a smooth liner as well. Good Luck.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

The 'assault weapon' scabbard from Sportsman's guide is better for a levergun or shotgun that has anything but factory sights, the 'shotgun scabbard' is VERY snug.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

I just carry a handgun. You can load snake shot if you want...

And as said - if you really want the shotty along - get a scabbard and figure out how to strap it on...
NRA Endowment Life
Phi Kappa Sigma, Alpha Phi 83 "Skulls"
OCS, 120th MP Battalion, MSSG
MOLON LABE!
Windjammer
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Windjammer »

Cliff, nothing fancy here. A single shot break open in 20ga with a 26" bbl.

A mid-size Massy Furgeson tractor used for a bush hog.
Reqards,
Windjammer
mack
Levergunner 2.0

Post by mack »

I use a Koplin (?) atv gun boot, bungee corded to the roll bar. Works OK and you can cover it and lock it as needed. Usually home to a 12ga 870.
horsesoldier03
Advanced Levergunner

Post by horsesoldier03 »

IMO an ATV Scabbard attached to the fender on one of the rear wheels would be ideal. We used to have an old POP AND JOHNNY John Deere that I used for transportation when deer hunting. I say Scabbard because it provides the firearm the best protection. I have seen guns get knocked out of gun racks on ATVs when hit by a branch, even though they had a bungy holding it on.
“Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.”
Cimarron
Levergunner 2.0
Location: North of the Cimarron River in Indian Territory (Oklahoma)

Post by Cimarron »

You could do like my firend Jeff and just hold it. But that didn't work too well for him, as he shot himself in the arm and nearly blead to death before his friends got to him. Then again Jeff is not known for his safety practices.
HOLY BLACK? YOU MUST MEAN PENNSYLVANIA ANTHRACITE!

"Get your guns boys! They are robbing the bank!" J.S.Allen, Sept. 7, 1876
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Certainly not cheap, (not inexpensive either); but for rugged reliability and safety, not much beats a Police cruiser vertical mount. Mounted on top of the axle and braced against the inside of the fender, handy and secure. If you cruise around that site, you'll find some others that are more affordable and also have locks.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Hagler
Senior Levergunner

Post by Hagler »

Windjammer,

Jeff Quinn has one of these, from a fellow Levergunner ( http://www.levergunleather.com/ ):

http://www.gunblast.com/Levergun-Scabbard.htm

Shawn
"That's right, Billy, I'm good with it. I hit what I shoot at, and I'm fast!"-Lucas McCain, c1882.
ImageImage
Sarge
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Sarge »

That's a nice piece of leather but I'd wreck it in short order, on the fender of my 55 Ford. I mow about 35 acres twice a year and some of it is rough as hell, the air is so full of dust and seed tops that you have to clean the radiator out every couple of hours. That, and the fact that mine gets used in the rain etc, would dictate a hard case that seals tight.

Like many here I have just carried a pistol while working from a tractor. THAT thing takes a beating, too.

People were smarter before the Internet, or imbeciles were harder to notice.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Sarge, I do believe that'd justify a flap holster.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Cliff
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Cliff »

I keep thinking of this idea for carrying your shotgun. Measure how thick it is at the widest point. Then get some all weather wooden lumber. Use a saw and cut out the outline of the shotgun, I am thinking several layers of 1/2 inch plywood. glue and screw them together after the cutting, put something to pad the gun, put a hinge on another piece of plywood to act as a door or lid. If done right will protect the gun, can be painted, stained and bolted or lag screwed to whatever you want to mount it on. Depending on size, it need not look like a gun case and draw unwanted attention. Just thinking. Easy to weather and dust proof. If you have access to surplus wood or plywood it can be cheap as well. Maybe Pitchy can have a better idea. Good Luck.
Sarge
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Sarge »

Griff wrote:Sarge, I do believe that'd justify a flap holster.
That's one of Rob Leahy's Rangemasters, a darn fine holster by any standard. The gun flat stays put, yet you can get to it quick whenever it's needed. I like being able to sweep the loop off the hammer with the thumb of my gun hand.

I don't sweat the field chaff, it all departs with the first shot anyhow ;)
People were smarter before the Internet, or imbeciles were harder to notice.
getitdone1
Senior Levergunner

Post by getitdone1 »

I like the Jeff Quinn approach. I'd add to it a cloth sack to slide down over the top of the gun and yet you could pull it off fast for quick access to gun. Plastic sack, strong one, would help rain proof the gun but condensation might be a problem with plastic.

Don
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

I think the leather scabbard has merit, but I'd also like something over the top. When I mow with my bush hog I throw dirt all over the place and in short order anything I have on the tractor is covered in dirt.
Old Law Dawg
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

You could go all "Romancing the Stone" and get this from Levergun Leatherworks.

Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
Gobblerforge
Senior Levergunner

Post by Gobblerforge »

I have two Koplin scabards for my ATVs and I would mount one of them just where Hagler did. The bonus to the Koplin is the butt cover gently snaps on and in that position will never fall off. Your gun will stay clean and dry in any weather or working condition and the hard case will protect from crush. They are not expensive compared to other options either.
Gobbler
Click Click Boom