Queston about gun safe combination lock

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
TMair
Levergunner 2.0

Queston about gun safe combination lock

Post by TMair »

Hello all
I have a Browning gun safe, it has a combination lock on it, it worked just fine for a wile, but now I have to push the dial in and hold it to get it to catch on the tumblers, some times I have to try the combination several times to get it to open, does any one know what the problem could be, and if it is reparable by me?
Thanks for your help
Terry
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Re: OT Queston about gun safe combination lock

Post by J Miller »

Terry,

I can't answer your question about fixing the safe. But I can recommend calling Browning or a lock smith and have it done properly.
If you make a boo boo you may never get it open again.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
jnyork
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jnyork »

Call Browning, might still be under warranty. If not, they can still steer you to an authorized locksmith.
TMair
Levergunner 2.0

Post by TMair »

Thanks for the replies, I think that is what I will do, problem is I live in BFE and there are no lock smiths here that work on those kind of locks, and since I cant take the safe to them...well, but I don't think browning actually makes the safes, but I do think they are made localy here in UT so maybe I can at least get some info on them.
Thanks again
Terry
jnyork
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jnyork »

Let us know how you turn out.
adirondakjack
Senior Levergunner

Post by adirondakjack »

Look at the paperwork and call em. They CAN direct you to somebody who might help. If ya got it open, ya might could be able to remove/replace a bad lock unit if ya had a replacement. If it goes bad when locked, expect to pay LOTS more.
Certified gun nut
DPris
Levergunner 3.0

Post by DPris »

Browning's safes are made in Provo by a company that marks 'em with several brands.
I'd start with them & see what they suggest.
You'll probably have to either take the safe someplace for work or pay somebody to travel to your place to work on it.
Denis
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

The dial/tumbler innards need regular lubing. Every 6mos or sso, I use a pressurized can of watch/clock lube, applied with the supplied straw to the joint/edge at the top of the dial, while turning the dial back/forth aimlessly to work the lube in.

The surplus lube will run out the bottom for a few mins, but it's EZ to wipe off.

Idahoser

Post by Idahoser »

I bought a Heritage and I believe that's where it came from, Utah. Might be the same company. In any case the lock is probably a Sargent & Greenleaf or some other common brand that doesn't require your specific safe maker.
Old No7
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Old No7 »

Pete44ru wrote:"The dial/tumbler innards need regular lubing. Every 6mos or so, I use a pressurized can of watch/clock lube, applied with the supplied straw to the joint/edge at the top of the dial, while turning the dial back/forth aimlessly to work the lube in. The surplus lube will run out the bottom for a few mins, but it's EZ to wipe off."
3rd-generation locksmith here... I'm no longer active in the trade, but I've got to chime in on this....

Sorry, but that is not what you want to do...

Chances are you're lubing the inside of the dial. Great... :? But if any of the "pressurized lube" is getting to the "innards" -- all it's doing is washing away the light coating of grease that's in there for a reason. :roll:

When my late father and my brothers and I used to work on safes at the banks or insurance offices -- legally, that is -- we'd use Sperm Whale Oil lightly for a lube. Once our dwindling supply of that ran out, we'd use a light coating of a high-grade white lithium grease on the plates and shafts. That's what your "pressurized lube" is washing out -- as you admit it's all running out the bottom...

We used to open hundreds of safes each year in the Boston area, and many of those had been operated daily for years -- sometimes for decades even. I refuse to believe any of those needed "regular lubing" of such a light lube as you suggest. Some were dry after a bunch of years, but the right lube can only be applied from the inside -- not from the outside.

And... Don't let me catch any of you guys spraying WD-40 into your gun's action thinking that "it's a great lube" -- as that's about the worst thing you can do. We made a ton of $$ repairing locks that had been "lubed regularly" with WD-40. It's good at what it's good for -- but as a "lube" for finely crafted & precision mechanisms... Not.

Sorry Pete. But I couldn't let that info you shared ruin someone else's safe.

As for Terry, he should check with the maker or a locksmith who has experience working on safes -- as many don't today...

Old No7

ps: If we've only drilled those safes "after hours"... I'd have about every old Marlin or Winchester I could dream about... :wink:
"Freedom and the Second Amendment... One cannot exist without the other." © 2000 DTH
TMair
Levergunner 2.0

Post by TMair »

Thanks for the replys, I do have the safe open, and don't want to lock it until I make sure it will open the next time, what the problem is, I have to push in on the knob as I turn it to the various numbers, I am wondering if all it might need is a nut tightened up on the inside, there is a felt covered panel on the inside of the door, with a few screws in it, I guess I could take that off, and take a look at it, if it looked more complicated then that I could see about the safe maker, for some help.
Thanks again for the replys!!!
Terrky
pwl44m
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pwl44m »

The Remington Safe that I just bought is made by Liberty Safe Co. Payson Utah. If U don't have a manuel and Urs was made by Liberty I can give U some info.
Perry in Bangor----++++===Calif
TMair
Levergunner 2.0

Post by TMair »

pwl44m wrote:The Remington Safe that I just bought is made by Liberty Safe Co. Payson Utah. If U don't have a manuel and Urs was made by Liberty I can give U some info.
Now that you mention it I do believe Liberty is who makes them, I don't live all that far from Payson, I guess I could drop in and ask them about it, I wonder how long they are warrentied for, I don't think I have had it a year.
Thanks
Terry

Edited to add: I don't have a manuel, mine has the combination lock on it that used 4 sets of numbers, rather then the bush button type, I like the looks of the combo, it looks more retro.
TM
pwl44m
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pwl44m »

My manual details both locks. Even a trouble shooting section. They would probably give U a manual and maybe help U troubleshoot Yours.
Good Luck - Perry
TMair
Levergunner 2.0

Re: Queston about gun safe combination lock

Post by TMair »

Once Liberty was mentioned that rang a bell, I knew these safes were made here in UT. but couldn't remember who it was, anyway I did a search for liberty safe wont open, and I think I found the problem, so far so good anyway, in short if there is sidways pressure on the bolts it doesn't like to unlock, didn't think that would make a difference, but it seams to be the problem, I had guns in there that were putting pressure on the door and trapping the bolts, they also recomended trying the bolt handle on the second to last number then moving on to that number, at any rate it seams to want to open now.
Thanks again for all of the replies.
Terry
pwl44m
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pwl44m »

Terry, get a Manual. It lists that very thing in the troubleshooting section. Glad U maybe figured it out Perry
TMair
Levergunner 2.0

Post by TMair »

pwl44m wrote:Terry, get a Manual. It lists that very thing in the troubleshooting section. Glad U maybe figured it out Perry
Yes when I googled it using "Liberty safe lock wont open" I think that was the frase that I used, it gave me a link to the troubleshooting section on line.
Thanks again
Terry