Anyone purchased the 44mag 1873 yet?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Roland
Levergunner 2.0

Anyone purchased the 44mag 1873 yet?

Post by Roland »

Been trying to find some user reviews and pictures of the internals and such but no luck. Hasn't anyone picked up one of these babies yet?

I probably won't get one because I want a 24" octagon, but I am living in the hope of something like that coming out in this caliber. It would be great for shooting .44 specials from, and no having to get more reloading tools for yet another caliber.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Re: Anyone purchased the 44mag 1873 yet?

Post by J Miller »

Roland,

I haven't heard anything recently about the 44 Mag versions. I doubt they'll ever get off the drawing boards. I don't think the toggle link actions as used in the early Winchesters designs can be beefed up enough to take the pressures.

At any rate Cimarron sells the 1873 in 44 Special with a 24" octagon barrel over here. So you should be able to get one over there.

CA249
$1357.86 .44 Special 24" 8.60 Case Hardened /
12 Rnds Walnut Standard Blue
The above is from the Cimarron site: http://www.cimarron-firearms.com/Repeat ... s/1873.htm#

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Charles
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Charles »

I have spend a fair amount of time over the years poking around on the insides of the Winchester 73. I don't think I would hold one of those things next to my face and touch off a full snort 44 Magnum load. Just saying.........
jnyork
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jnyork »

Charles wrote:I have spend a fair amount of time over the years poking around on the insides of the Winchester 73. I don't think I would hold one of those things next to my face and touch off a full snort 44 Magnum load. Just saying.........
Sound thinking. I would be VERY leery of such a setup.
Martini450
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Martini450 »

They're more than just off the drawing board, Taylor and Company has had them in stock for several months. I have no interest in owning one, but have handled one in there store up in Winchester, Virginia. Seemed like a well made firearm, same as all the Ubertis in my gunsafe. Regarding the action, I'm not sure what they've done to beef it up, but it is a toggle link, no doubt.
Leverluver
Senior Levergunner

Post by Leverluver »

I saw one that came in for a customer at the local gun emporium. This one came blued but don't know if that was due to the model or whether the steel they are made from won't fake CCH. It is a small town. The shop owner knows all his customers. I will see if I can get some feedback although he has not had it long enough (~4 months) to stretch anything yet. I have no doubt that it will withstand the strain. My question is how many TIMES it will withstand the strain.
Martini450
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Martini450 »

My understanding is the steel used in the receiver will not take CCH, that it is harder and stronger to take the extra beating, at least that's the scuttlebutt on the internet. There is a very interesting thread over on the CAS 1876 forum about this very topic:

http://www.cascity.com/forumhall/index. ... ic=30606.0

Like I said, I have no use for one, but I can't imagine Uberti is putting something out that is in danger of becoming a pipe bomb. Whether it stretches or shoots loose, that's another question.
Roland
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Roland »

That's the thread I last saw as well several months ago and back then the guns where in the stores even as someone got to handle one in person even. Someone was gonna buy it and post a report, never did see it.

And personally I would feel safer shooting .44 special loads out of a gun designed to take 44 magnum as well, also I wouldn't have to trim my brass down.