Win 94AE in 375

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
JFE
Levergunner 2.0

Win 94AE in 375

Post by JFE »

Anyone know how many AE's were made in 375 ?

Most Win 375's were top ejects and I've only ever seen a few AE's in 375. Most of the AE's I've seen were in 307 or 356 calibres.
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Win 94AE in 375

Post by Pete44ru »

IDK, but it couldn't have been very many - most likely well under 1,000 I'd WAG.

I didn't even believe the .375 was continued over into the AE series, until I finally saw an example last year.

Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

I have never seen or noticed a 375 in Britain ever!

Shame.

N.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

Don't know but
John Taffin wrote:The .375 Winchester came first in 1978 in the then new Model 94 Big Bore. Meanwhile Winchester became USRAC, and in 1983 the Model 94 Big Bore became the Model 94 XTR Angle Eject. This signaled an interior change that would cause the spent cartridge cases to be ejected at an angle to the right instead of straight up -- facilitating the use of a scope. The other two new chamberings, the .307 and .356 Winchester, would be introduced with the Angle Eject Model.......

......The .375 Big Bore Model 94 was dropped in 1988.

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m ... 103381593/
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
JFE
Levergunner 2.0

Post by JFE »

Thanks for the feedback. A google search suggested not many were made either, but apparently exact records are no longer available.

Anyhow over the last weekend I managed to buy one with one of those hideous monte carlo stocks. I cant show pics as I'm waiting for my permit to acquire to come through. Most likely this one will be scoped and have that buttstock swapped out.
damienph
Senior Levergunner

Post by damienph »

Nath wrote:I have never seen or noticed a 375 in Britain ever!

Shame.

N.
Now that IS a shame! My 375 top eject is one of my favorite rifles.

JFE, let us hear how you like it. I shoot both 375 (jacketed) and 38-55 (lead) through mine.
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

[ managed to buy one with one of those hideous monte carlo stocks]

While the BB94 Canoe Paddle stock "may" have some collector value, many have simply rasped the MC comb off/down & refinished the buttstock.

JFE
Levergunner 2.0

Post by JFE »

[/quote]
JFE, let us hear how you like it. I shoot both 375 (jacketed) and 38-55 (lead) through mine.[/quote]

I already have 2 top ejects. One is a stockie and the other was in poor condition and is currently being re-chambered to 375/356. I do like the 375 Win and its a very under-rated cartridge IMO. At about 6.5lbs its a very handy sized, hard hitting carbine.
Pete44ru wrote:[ managed to buy one with one of those hideous monte carlo stocks]

While the BB94 Canoe Paddle stock "may" have some collector value, many have simply rasped the MC comb off/down & refinished the buttstock.
Totally agree on the looks. The buttstock looks totally out of place on a levergun.
olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by olyinaz »

The whole idea with the AE was to put a scope on it in order to compete with Marlin. The high comb stock actually works pretty well with a scope.

Oly
JFE
Levergunner 2.0

Post by JFE »

From what I gather, based on info gleaned off the net, Winchester only offered the high comb stock in 1983, the year the AE was introduced and, strangely enough, the same year Marlin dropped the 375 chambering. I'm sure the MC stock works well with a scope but, functionality aside, I guess a lot of people must have felt the same way about the styling to prompt Winchester to drop it so quickly.

I bought this one with the intention of scoping it and there seem to be a few options for scope mounts. Are there any mounts that work better than others for positioning a scope on the rifle ?
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

:?: What .375's came with (or without) the "rebounding hammer" that everyone dislikes so...?
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

JFE wrote:I cant show pics as I'm waiting for my permit to acquire to come through.
What is a "permit to acquire"...?

Oops - my bad. I thought your location said "Alabama" not "Australia"... :oops:

Sorry you guys have to put up with such ridiculous stuff, but if it were in Alabama, I'd expect to have heard of the revolution already starting. :|
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
JFE
Levergunner 2.0

Post by JFE »

AJMD429 wrote::?: What .375's came with (or without) the "rebounding hammer" that everyone dislikes so...?
None of the top ejects had one. Net info suggests they were introduced in 84/85. If you dont plan to use a scope, the top eject 94BB's are one of the better made 94 Winchesters. The ones I have are as smooth if not smoother than my pre-64 30/30.

Over here we tend to only get bread and butter models, however if Winchester has trouble selling a particular model in the US you can almost bet we'll see it here. BB375's were quite common here. Now we are seeing some Win 1895's, but only TR editions. I'm guessing these arent selling well over there at present.