Aircraft overhead-- Pics added

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Thunder50
Senior Levergunner

Aircraft overhead-- Pics added

Post by Thunder50 »

Hope to get some pics later.

Was heading to the Ford store to talk to them about the repair of my Turbo coupe. Had the window down and heard a strange noise, then it got louder and I thought, RADIAL ENGINES!!!!

Slowed down and looked out the window and about 400ft above me flew a B-25 Mitchell light bomber on takeoff. Sent chills up and down me. Saw my Fathers logbook once and saw he had flown B-25's

Walked out the front door of the dealership, hoping they would do a go-around again, but no go. Did see the B-17 "Sentimental Journey" in the distance, turning from downwind to base, then to final.

Will try and go get some pics for you tomorrow. Wonder what it costs to ride in the B-25? :)
Last edited by Thunder50 on Sun Oct 02, 2011 9:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
The meek shall inherit the earth, but I reserve the mineral rights!
All the knowledge in the world, is of no use to fools! (Eagles-long road out of Eden)
new pig hunter
Senior Levergunner

Re: Aircraft overhead

Post by new pig hunter »

adirondakjack
Senior Levergunner

Post by adirondakjack »

The 25 is indeed "sound" to behold. Every now and then the engines sync just right, and it's magic. My FIL talks about how the sound of B-25s made for easy sleeping when he was on a ship in the Pacific...
Certified gun nut
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Great plane. One of my Uncles flew B24Js in the South Pacific. Not intending to drift, but I don't know anyone who flew the B25. There were some really amazing examples of ingenuity flying during WWII.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
Thunder50
Senior Levergunner

Re: Aircraft overhead *Pics now*

Post by Thunder50 »

here are some pics taken this evening.
The meek shall inherit the earth, but I reserve the mineral rights!
All the knowledge in the world, is of no use to fools! (Eagles-long road out of Eden)
gak
Senior Levergunner

Re: Aircraft overhead-- Pics added

Post by gak »

Great pics! Takes me back. My father flew both.
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Neat pics Thunder 50! :D As to your question on a price, my buddy took a ride in a B-17 two years ago. I don't know the name but it was from some foundation. If I remember correctly, it was $400 a person. Him, his wife and several other guys took the plunge.

This is a guy of "regular means" and he still talks about it to this day.

On another note, there was a P-51 Mustang there and the price was $800. :D I guess these are things on my "to do list" before I bite the dust.----------------Sixgun
Yes, It’s Mighty, No Need To Prove It…..
Ben_Rumson
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ben_Rumson »

Very Nice.. They sure sound like heavy metal...
Every time I see twin .50s in close proximity to the pilots... I can't help but wonder how bad the muzzle blast would be on a fella when you only have the thin aluminum skin between you and the muzzle... Either mounted like on the Mitchell or the top turret on the 17 firing forward...I mean just behind and in back of your head in the 17s case...
"IT IS MY OPINION, AND I AM CORRECT SO DON'T ARGUE, THE 99 SAVAGE IS THE FINEST RIFLE EVER MADE IN AMERICA."
WIL TERRY
jager3
Levergunner

Post by jager3 »

There is nothing quite like the old "radials" to stir the "inner child" in an aviator. I was among some of the last "intrepid" naval aviators that trained in the T-28 with its 1425shp, Wright/Cyclone engine. We thought we were the best-of-the-best when we finished that phase of advanced training (egotistical youth :D , huh?). Coincidentally, it was a friend of my father's who was a B-25 pilot during WWII that got me interested in flying by taking me on my first flight at the tender age of 9.
This month, our EAA chapter is sponsoring a "fly-in" where a B-25 will be there to give rides for donations. We are also hoping to get a C-47 to participate. Anyone interested who might be in the area, it will be in "mid-Missouri" at H21 on the 15th of Oct. Thanks for some really awesome pictures of some truly "classic" planes!