For my Canadian Brothers, I have some questions, gun related

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

For my Canadian Brothers, I have some questions, gun related

Post by rjohns94 »

I would like to come into some type of understanding on # and types of firearms that are legal in your country, for residents to own. For instance, which of the following would not be allowed to be owned in your country?

little sharps (new manufacture) in .22 mag
1863 sharps (new manufacture) in .54 BP
1874 sharps (new manufacture) in 45-70
Win model 70 in 30-06
1886 (circa 1888) in 45-70
Marlin 1894 trapper takedown in .44mag
Modern in line .50 caliber BP
Modern Flintlock in .54 caliber BP
Over Under in 9.3x74R (modern manufacture)
side by side in 20 gauge
side by side in 12 gauge (rifled)
Benelli M4 in 12 gauge

.20 cal spring air pellet rifle

1911 4 inch barrel in .45 ACP, with .22lr conversion kit
1911 3 inch barrel in .45 acp

M1917 Colt in .45 acp

3 inch Smith model .44 mag
NAA 22 mag mini mag.

Thanks for your help.
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
iceman
Senior Levergunner

Re: For my Canadian Brothers, I have some questions, gun related

Post by iceman »

All the long guns are completely legal with a PAL (possesion, aquisition liscence safety course needed). I am not up to speed on all the side arms, but all except the mini mag can be owned as a restricted arm with a RPAL, (same as a PAL but with training in side arm handling and a more intensive back ground check) They can be kept at home and transported to your registered gun club, or to organized shooting event. No concealled or open carry.
The mini mag would be considered a prohibited and can only be kept at home under a grandfathered permit.
All long and side arms are "supposed" to be registered but the dead line keeps getting extended and the present conservative gouvernment is to shut down the long gun registery this session. They tried last year but couldn't pass it due to being a minority gouvernment. It was one of the things on their platform last election and probably one of the main reasons they have a majority gouvernment now.
I'm sure some of my fellow Canadians will pipe up shortly to help clarify any mistakes I might have made on the side arms.
Happiness is a comfortable stump on a sunny south facing mountain.
pdentrem
Levergunner 2.0

Post by pdentrem »

All the long guns are OK. The air rifle may get in without PAL if under 500FPS.

The handguns with barrel lengths under 105mm are prohibited. Anything that shoots pistol cartridges that are under 380 Auto are prohibited except 22rimfire.

Therefore 1911 4 inch barrel in .45 ACP, with .22lr conversion kit and 1911 3 inch barrel in .45 acp are prohibited and will be confiscated, as will the 3 inch Smith model .44 mag, NAA 22 mag mini mag. This only due to the barrel lengths.

For further info. Go to http://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/cfp-pcaf/index-eng.htm
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Post by KirkD »

As far as number of firearms you are allowed to own, it really only depends on your budget. There is no limit.
Kirk: An old geezer who loves the smell of freshly turned earth, old cedar rail fences, wood smoke, a crackling fireplace on a snowy evening, pristine wilderness lakes, the scent of
cedars and a magnificent Whitetail buck framed in the semi-buckhorn sights of a 120-year old Winchester.
Blog: https://www.kirkdurston.com/
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Could a non-citizen, but legal resident, own firearms in Canada?
pokey
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pokey »

pdentrem wrote:The handguns with barrel lengths under 105mm are prohibited.
105 mm = 4.13389 in. just to illegalize 4" barrels? :?: :roll:
careful what you wish for, you might just get it.

"BECAUSE I CAN"
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

100mm = 3.94 inches. Sounds like they were indeed trying to make sure 4-inch tubes weren't legal. :(
pdentrem
Levergunner 2.0

Post by pdentrem »

Handguns have been registered since 1934 in Canada. In 1995 they made it prohibited to own under 105mm barrelled guns and calibers under 380 Auto. It is also illegal to have the said ammo in your possession!
For example all the WW2 Lugers instantly had ZERO value in Canada and anything else as well. Most prohibs are now really only worth the weight of the steel. Now that is a crime! :(

If you were an owner prior to Feburary 14th, 1995 you were grandfathered in. You can buy and sell prohibs. This is 12.6 in the new rules. Only one problem, as the owners die off there are no new owners to pickup the guns. So what happens is that the guns end up on the hands of the destuction police, deactivated (welded shut-still worthless) or heaven forbid to are lost/sold to illegal owners (outlaws) :cry:

The gun manufacturers are now making 108mm or 4 1/4" barrels on the same guns that were under the 105mm and are not prohib unless the ammo is. This has improved the selection for handguns lately. :)

Could a non-citizen, but legal resident, own firearms in Canada?

Yes, just have to pass the tests. First you have to take the long gun test and after that the handgun test. Average cost 160 times 2. You can do it in one day. You can either crash the test, ie just go for it or do the course first and then take the test. The study books are available to prepare for the test. It is not that hard to pass. It is mostly safe handling of assorted firearms.
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Post by KirkD »

We can buy and sell and ship directly to each other, no FFL requirements. Once the registry disappears in a couple months, buying and selling will be completely private, like buying and selling a saddle, (except for handguns, which will still be registered.)
Kirk: An old geezer who loves the smell of freshly turned earth, old cedar rail fences, wood smoke, a crackling fireplace on a snowy evening, pristine wilderness lakes, the scent of
cedars and a magnificent Whitetail buck framed in the semi-buckhorn sights of a 120-year old Winchester.
Blog: https://www.kirkdurston.com/
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

Great info. I had the impression that modern calibers were not legal, not sure where I got that from. Looks Like a full size 1911 is called for along with a 4 and 5/8 inch Colt. glad to hear that the m1917 is good to go. I"m happy about the long guns being ok.
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
pdentrem
Levergunner 2.0

Post by pdentrem »

Please - Just remember that there are special rules for people coming from outside Canada with their guns. Many truckers have their guns conficated and the truck too, due to the rules. If coming to Canada be sure to dot the is and cross your ts or be labelled a criminal with a record etc etc.

A simple call to the people at the website that I listed earlier will take care of a lot of problems.

See here: http://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/cfp-pcaf/fs-f ... te-eng.htm always call for the latest information as it can change at a whim.
Killer Kanuck
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Killer Kanuck »

pdentrem wrote:In 1995 they made it prohibited to own under 105mm barrelled guns and calibers under 380 Auto. It is also illegal to have the said ammo in your possession!
It isn't illegal to have pistol ammo under 380 in your possession. Heck, there are plenty of rifles out there in 25-20 and 32-20, Marlin's 1894 a few years back in 32 H&R - you can buy ammo for them off the shelf in any well stocked gun store. If they ask if you have a 12.6 prohibited license for a certain type of ammo - you're shopping at the wrong store.
pdentrem
Levergunner 2.0

Post by pdentrem »

Killer kanuck makes a good point. As I sold off mine before the laws went into effect I can be wrong. Not the first time nor the last. Thus I had to look it up. Thanks Killer for the correction.

In the Regulations, at page 2715 of Canada Gazette Part II, Vol 132, No 20, there is a class established by Order in Council SOR 98-462, "prohibited ammunition." It does not include hollow-point ammunition. It covers only handgun ammunition "designed, manufactured or altered so as to be capable of penetrating body armour...", any projectile that is designed to ignite on impact (De Wilde .303, for example), or to explode on impact (7.65mm Argentine spotter cartridges, for example), or any cartridge that contains flechettes.

Near the bottom of the page.
http://www.gazette.gc.ca/archives/p2/19 ... 2-eng.html
big bear
Levergunner 2.0

Post by big bear »

Ysabel Kid wrote:Could a non-citizen, but legal resident, own firearms in Canada?
Landed immigrant can own firearms.Vistors with proper paperwork could bring in hunting type weapons, other classses for specific competitions ( you could bring an Ar15 in to compete in a match, permission would be time limited though).