OT - Winchester 571 Magnum Shot Shell Powder

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
damienph
Senior Levergunner

OT - Winchester 571 Magnum Shot Shell Powder

Post by damienph »

Is there any handgun or rifle application for this powder. I aquired a three pound can of it; probably early '70s vintage. I am not a shot shell reloader (yet, anyway) but I sure would like to use this powder, if possible.
earlmck
Advanced Levergunner

Re: OT - Winchester 571 Magnum Shot Shell Powder

Post by earlmck »

Shotgun powders make nice pistol powders. I have never used 571, but my Winchester load book from the 1990's shows your 571 useful for 38 Special, 9mm, 10mm, 45ACP. They show a number of different loads for each. What do you have you want to use it for?

The ball powders don't get used much for reduced loads in the rifles, I think just because of large velocity variations. I don't have direct experience here: I haven't tried it, but I probably would if I came on a "good deal" in one of the shotgun-speed balls. My "good deal" from many years ago was a large keg of Green Dot which may be a lifetime supply if I don't get back into shotgun reloading. But it is real handy for 38 special and 45ACP, which your 571 should also fit nicely.
The greatest patriot...
is he who heals the most gullies.
Patrick Henry
damienph
Senior Levergunner

Post by damienph »

The 3# can of W571 was essentially free. The only one of the calibers that you listed that I don't load for is 10MM.

Last night, I found a "Powder Equivalents" chart on adi-limited.com (ADI Powders); it indicates that W571 is equivalent to Hodgdon HS-7, Alliant Blue Dot, Accurate AA9, and VV N350.

I've never heard of ADI but I am going to look at some of my newer books and see if I can confirm that these are truly equivalent. When I posted my question, I had only looked at my 1973 Hornady book and an early '70s era Winchester freebie pamphlet that I have. Neither of which showed any handgun use for this powder.

As a side note, I was surprised at how few bullets Hornady offered at that time, compared to today.

Earl, thanks for the reply, I do appreciate it!
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

damien,

The late 90s Winchester pamphlet has lots of W571 data. Email me your email addy and tell me what calibers you're wanting to use it in and I'll scan it in and email to you.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
damienph
Senior Levergunner

Post by damienph »

Thanks Joe, sending PM

Damien
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

You're welcome. PMs received and email on it's way to you.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
damienph
Senior Levergunner

Post by damienph »

I got them Joe. Thank you very much!!