OT: Cellphone Flashlight

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Blaine
Posting leader...

OT: Cellphone Flashlight

Post by Blaine »

I didn't want to steal the thunder on the current flashlight thread, but most smart phones can be set up for turning the camera flash into a flashlight. Prolly have to download a free app for it. Mine has three brightnesses, a flash, and an SOS in it....I love all this new-fangled stuff :D
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Re: OT: Cellphone Flashlight

Post by J Miller »

Although I do have a cell phone, I still have my old black rotary dial SW Bell Telephone. It works and if all the cell phones in the world quit working I wouldn't care ...... too much.

As for making the camera flash do an SOS; with the way my life has been lately I'd have to set it there and leave it!

There is way to much gee gaws and do hickies in cell phones now. Pretty soon they'll be putting Tri-Corders and Phasers in them too.
Now .... I just might go for that :mrgreen:

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
pwl44m
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pwl44m »

Joe U crack Me up, r U related to Elmer Fudd ? I Have a 3year old LG Shine cell phone that works just fine. When it rings- if I can hear it, I answer it. No bells and whistles.
Perry in Bangor----++++===Calif
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

I just downloaded a free Coyote Call.....Bite me :lol:

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

I just got a Casio Commando that uses the android system. The first app I bought was "Radar Now" so I could see weather systems ahead of time and not be surprised.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
Cliff
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Cliff »

I haven't used a cell phone for a flash light but in a pinch one time I did use the light on my timex Indiglo wrist watch. Worked pretty good if your eyes are adjusted to the dark. Just saying. ATB
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

BlaineG wrote:I just downloaded a free Coyote Call.....Bite me :lol:
Your behind the times I have had that App for almost a year. :lol: :lol:
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

To err is human, To forgive is devine, Neither of which is Marine Corps policy
Semper Fidelis
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

Rusty wrote:I just got a Casio Commando that uses the android system. The first app I bought was "Radar Now" so I could see weather systems ahead of time and not be surprised.
You can also get the free Weather Bug App for android.
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

To err is human, To forgive is devine, Neither of which is Marine Corps policy
Semper Fidelis
20cows
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 20cows »

It's already a tri-corder and a communicator combined.

Need to work on that phaser part, though...
Grizzly Adams
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Grizzly Adams »

I have the Casio Brigade. http://www.casiogzone.com/brigade/ This is a pretty neat phone for anyone who needs a mil spec all around outdoor activity phone. It takes a licking and keeps on ticking....uhhh, ringing! :lol: It has a built in flashlight. :roll:
If you can read this, thank a teacher. If you can read this in English, thank a Vet!
COMNAVFORV, Vietnam 68-70
NRA Life, SASS Life, Banjo picking done cheap!

Quyana cekneq, Neva
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

I haven't used my new adroid as a flashlight... yet... although one early morning on the way to the deer stand, I realized after about 75 yards of riding on the back of friend's 4-wheeler... I'd forgotten my flashlight... Hey, stop this thing, I'll walk back and fetch my flashlight. Off he drives into the new morning; then I turned around. AYE GAWD IT WAS DARK AS SIN OUT! Couldn't see my hand in front of my face... cloud cover, no moon, no stars... nothing! I couldn't see the ground to know if I was on the trail back to the truck, or wandering off on a tangent... never to be seen until daylight! 2 hours off! Then remembered... AHA! Remote control. Pressed the button, and there off my port bow was the flash of marker lights and another press of the button, headlights that remained on to lead me "home".

Yep, technology is grand!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Chris83716
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Chris83716 »

But can you hold your Droid phone in your pie hole while you change a flat? I love my Android phone but am still voting for the key chain flashlight.

Chris
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Chris83716 wrote:But can you hold your Droid phone in your pie hole while you change a flat? I love my Android phone but am still voting for the key chain flashlight.
Chris
Change a flat!!!!???? Gosh darn those lugnuts are torqued to 300+ lbs/sq.in. If I'm lucky! Had one where they had to cut the lugnut off and replace the stud! Good thing I had the records where one their outlets did the prior work! Regardless, for these big 22.5s I'm callin' the service truck.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

Griff wrote:
Chris83716 wrote:But can you hold your Droid phone in your pie hole while you change a flat? I love my Android phone but am still voting for the key chain flashlight.
Chris
Change a flat!!!!???? Gosh darn those lugnuts are torqued to 300+ lbs/sq.in. If I'm lucky! Had one where they had to cut the lugnut off and replace the stud! Good thing I had the records where one their outlets did the prior work! Regardless, for these big 22.5s I'm callin' the service truck.
Yeah, not quite going to get the floor jack out and fire up the impact wrench 50 miles from nowhere and change a big rig flat. That's funny, Griff. :D
Old Law Dawg
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

That's why I have the cell phone, so I can call the tire guys. :D

They always wake me up when they're done. :lol:

Pisgah
Senior Levergunner

Post by Pisgah »

Rusty wrote:I just got a Casio Commando that uses the android system. The first app I bought was "Radar Now" so I could see weather systems ahead of time and not be surprised.
My house and truck have the same feature -- except it's called "Windows". On quick look, and
I can tell what's coming... :lol:
adirondakjack
Senior Levergunner

Post by adirondakjack »

Maglight app for the Droid 2 is handy for oh, I dunno, maybe changing a fuse in total darkness when the flashlight that lives in the car has gone dead from the cold, or finding the correct key among a bunch of em in total darkness.

Is it the preferred method? No. Do I always have my phone with me? Yes.
Certified gun nut
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

I work with a guy who has an iPhone with the "flashlight" feature. We have had to go out to a site once or twice and trace cables under a raised floor or collect an odd serial number from a dark corner.

The need will be recognized and he'll offer up "I've got a flashlight!" and he'll pull out his toy, whereupon I reach into my pocket and pull out my 200-Lumen Streamlight and inform him once again regarding his little glow thing "That is not a flashlight. That's something that you'd use if you lost your privates in the dark of your trousers. It's just a **** finder."

He's a young guy and always gets sheepish after I deliver one of those. I guess he's not used to old guy humor.

Anyway, IMO, or at least in the case of my young co-worker's device, those things don't throw much useful light unless you're just trying to find a keyhole in the dark.

:) :lol:
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

FWiedner wrote:I work with a guy who has an iPhone with the "flashlight" feature. We have had to go out to a site once or twice and trace cables under a raised floor or collect an odd serial number from a dark corner.

The need will be recognized and he'll offer up "I've got a flashlight!" and he'll pull out his toy, whereupon I reach into my pocket and pull out my 200-Lumen Streamlight and inform him once again regarding his little glow thing "That is not a flashlight. That's something that you'd use if you lost your privates in the dark of your trousers. It's just a **** finder."

He's a young guy and always gets sheepish after I deliver one of those. I guess he's not used to old guy humor.

Anyway, IMO, or at least in the case of my young co-worker's device, those things don't throw much useful light unless you're just trying to find a keyhole in the dark.

:) :lol:
Well, you'd be the expert on finding a guy's **** in the dark, so I'll take your word for it..... :|

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

Heck, I can't find my **** in the dark..

... but if I do I'll let you know so you can Bite Me.

:wink: :lol:
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

I have used the small amount of light mine puts out even without a light app. When you're in near total darkness anything works but I wouldn't want to change a tire with one.

Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

:lol:

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV