brand of jacketed bullets

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
93marshooter
Levergunner 2.0

brand of jacketed bullets

Post by 93marshooter »

Other than your own cast bullets what brand of commercially made bullet do you like best? I have lots of surplus bullets from Hi Tech ammo for .308 and .223 but want information about 30-30 jacketed bullets. There may be no "best". All of them seem expensive. Most are $0.20 to $0.40 a round. Even gas checks are going up near $40.
Gary
Levergunner 2.0

Re: brand of jacketed bullets

Post by Gary »

For me, availability is the deciding factor. Where I shop, Hornady is always found so that is what I use now. However, my favorite is Speer 30-30 170's for accuracy & terminal performance.
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

In the 30-30 I like the Rem Core-Lokt, but the Hornady Interlock is good too. 170s
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

For leverguns I like Speer Hot Core - now Deep Curl I guess. I like 170's for the 30-30 and 30-30AI calibers and 220's for the 35's. 220 Hornady RN for the 30-40 Krag. For 45-70 deer hunting, the Remington bulk 300 grain hollow points do the trick. Hornady 300 sp's for the 405 - or if I take it after Elk, 300 TSX.

I do you one comercially procuced cast boolit - Lasercast .309" 170's - which are a gas check design sans gas check, so I just put my own on and get a dandy 1950 fps boolit for the 30-30 and 30-30AI.

If I had to pick just one favorite bullet company though, it would be Hornady.
NRA Endowment Life
Phi Kappa Sigma, Alpha Phi 83 "Skulls"
OCS, 120th MP Battalion, MSSG
MOLON LABE!
damienph
Senior Levergunner

Post by damienph »

I shoot more Hornady bullets than any other brand because they are usually easiest to find, and priced reasonably. I've had good luck with both Remington CorLokt and the Sierras.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

When I was shooting a lot I preferred:
Hornady for my .45 Colts,
Speer and Hornady for the .357s,
Speer for the 30-30s,
Sierra for the 303 Brit, 30-06, and 308s

Not sure I could say why at this time, but that's how it worked out.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

For the 30-30 my rifles and me both prefer the speer hot cors.

In the other rifle cartridges that get jacketed bullets, Hornady is the choice, except for the 405 and it gets North Fork.
Last edited by Don McDowell on Wed Aug 24, 2011 10:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

They are all good and it depends how they individually perform in your rifle. I found that different brands perform better in two Ruger 77R 270s. Depends on the individual rifle/barrel. Same loads give different velocities in those rifles.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

iceman
Senior Levergunner

Post by iceman »

As others have said, it is mostly what is available at the time, and most of the time it is Hornady for me. Once in a while I find some Remingtons.
Happiness is a comfortable stump on a sunny south facing mountain.
Mike D.
***Rock Star***

Post by Mike D. »

Barnes TSX, a stone killer of medium sized game.
"Congressmen who willfully take actions during wartime that damage morale, and undermine the military are saboteurs and should be arrested, exiled or hanged"....President Abraham Lincoln
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Old Savage wrote:They are all good and it depends how they individually perform in your rifle. I found that different brands perform better in two Ruger 77R 270s. Depends on the individual rifle/barrel. Same loads give different velocities in those rifles.
Bingo!

I've used them all and they all work. The OLD Sierra 150s and 170s were .307" instead of .308" and they really did give an extra 100 fps compared to the others in whatever gun. However, they've gone to the industry standard of .308" and velocities have likewise dropped the 100 fps. Still good bullets though.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Considering availability; sigh ...... in days of yore I could walk into guns stores and sometimes dept stores and find row on row of every brand of bullets you'd ever want. Hornady, Speer, Sierra, and others. Take your pic. As the years passed the dept stores dropped their sporting goods, and then many gun stores reduced their stock to the bare minimum. Oh sure they could order anything you wanted, but they never seemed to stock any. That became the time of "whatever was available".
Thankfully, the internet has mostly cured this ailment. We can now get what ever our little hearts desire just by clicking a mouse button.

Sigh, I was musing about how many times I went exploring out in the desert with my lever guns and how much I actually did shoot. Some days 100s of rounds, other days, not a single shot.
I like jacketed bullets. They are simple and easy to load.

OK comes back to what is or was available. On the way back to the house from the desert I'd usually hit most any gun store and buy enough bullets to replenish what I'd shot up + a bunch.

Try that in Illynoise. Bahhhh :x :x :x

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

GreenBox CorLokt 170 ammo is so cheap, I don't bother to reload it....If I did, I'd get a bulk 170 CorLokt and never look back, they shoot so good in my 336. :wink:
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
93marshooter
Levergunner 2.0

Post by 93marshooter »

Thanks to all who commented.
Rick