Recently acquired 1881 Marlin - modified

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
levallois
Levergunner

Recently acquired 1881 Marlin - modified

Post by levallois »

I know the value of this rifle (now carbine) has been significantly dimished but when I saw it, I had to have it. This M1881 in 40 cal that started life in 1885 as a 28 inch rifle but it now 20-inch short rifle. Whomever did the mod was a pro and based on the patina it was done a long time ago. The action is tight and the bore very good-excellent. It really looks handy and very street-howitzer like. Need to get some black powder 40-60/40-65 to try her out. Thanks for looking.

John

"It ain't like the old days, but it'll do"
pokey
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Recently acquired 1881 Marlin - modified

Post by pokey »

cool beans :mrgreen:
careful what you wish for, you might just get it.

"BECAUSE I CAN"
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Very nice!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

John,

Welcome to the forum.

Most of us here are not collectors. We shoot our babies and enjoy them.
That rifle of yours might have been altered but and I mean this seriously, who cares. From your description it will still get the job done and do so in a handier configuration.

So, when you get some ammo loaded up show us some smoky pictures.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

I once had a .38-55 Marlin Model 93 to which the same mods had been done. Bulldog is what comes to mind when I think of it. I wish I had it back!
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

Looks might handy. Now we need a range report. :D
Old Law Dawg
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

Considering how heavy a large frame 1881 was, I'm sure some previous owner thought he'd make it a easier rifle to pack while hunting. Made perfect sense back then, and although collectors will cry at the thought of a bobbed barrel, the owner probably really enjoyed his gun much more after doing the mod.
If it were mine I'd do the same; really enjoy it for hunting, or just shooting. As long as it shoots well, the rest doesn't matter much now.
Last edited by marlinman93 on Mon Aug 15, 2011 9:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Post by M. M. Wright »

SWEET!!!
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
Swampman
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Swampman »

Very cool!!!
"I have reached up to the gun rack and taken down the .30/30 carbine by some process of natural selection, not condoned perhaps by many experts but easily explained by those who spend long periods in the wilderness areas."~Calvin Rutstrum~

"You come to the swamp, you better leave your skirt at the house"~Dave Canterbury~
levallois
Levergunner

Post by levallois »

I appreciate all the great comments! I've got some black powder cartridges on order to give her a whirl (don't reload this yet) and will post a range report. Thanks again, great forum!
"It ain't like the old days, but it'll do"
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Post by KirkD »

What a great old rifle. Somebody way back liked it enough to have a good job done of shortening the barrel and mag tube. That is part of it's history. Enjoy that old timer and on those darkening autumn evenings as you sit under a tree waiting for a Whitetail buck to come along you may hear whispers of the old rifle's memories from more than a hundred years ago softly speaking in the dusk ... The crackling of a fireplace in a farm home in the 1880's, woodsmoke, a hearty supper of venison on the table, laughing children, now long grown and gone, running up to the table, the hint in the evening wind of an early snow ... The old rifle has many memories that sometimes come back as you sit alone with it in the hardwood forest and think of days from a century long past. It is one of the reasons I love these old lever guns.
Kirk: An old geezer who loves the smell of freshly turned earth, old cedar rail fences, wood smoke, a crackling fireplace on a snowy evening, pristine wilderness lakes, the scent of
cedars and a magnificent Whitetail buck framed in the semi-buckhorn sights of a 120-year old Winchester.
Blog: https://www.kirkdurston.com/
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

Very nice Rifle. thanks for sharing.

Well Said KirkD.
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Very, very cool! 8)
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Nice piece but.........you don't need black powder. I have a 4 digit 1881 in 40-60 M with a 30" barrel and load 22 gr. of 5744 behind a 275 gr. NEI cast gc. Dang rifle weighs 12 pounds and shoots like a scoped boltgun.

Is was a little tricky getting the .408 bullet to chamber though-----Good luck---Sixgun
Yes, It’s Mighty, No Need To Prove It…..
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

That is a handsome firearm.

:)
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.