Anyone ever ream a Winchester throat?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Canuck Bob
Senior Levergunner

Anyone ever ream a Winchester throat?

Post by Canuck Bob »

Considering reaming my 32-20 Winoku 92 and 32 Special pre-64 Winchester 94.

Anyone done this? Cast shooters sometime recommend this for better cast performance.

Thinking a short freebore 2 thou larger than groove and a 1 1/2 degree leade ramp to bore. Again a common suggestion on cast forums.

Any advice on tooling, methods, and tricks?
Terry Murbach
Shootist

Re: Anyone ever ream a Winchester throat?

Post by Terry Murbach »

YOU MEAN....UUUUUHHHHHH.....LIKE AAAAAAAAAAHHHH....MRS WINCHESTER'S..........................??
RIDE, SHOOT STRAIGHT, AND SPEAK THE TRUTH
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

Uh, Terry, I don't think that's what he's asking. :shock:
Old Law Dawg
Canuck Bob
Senior Levergunner

Post by Canuck Bob »

I'm a happily married man gentleman!

Looking to shoot cast bullets not my own foot or worse!
Mainehunter
Senior Levergunner

Post by Mainehunter »

Not on a Winchester but I rented a reamer from 4D this past spring. Re-thorted my Marlin 336 35 Remington with excellent results! Have good cutting oil on had, go slooooowwwwww and check your work often.

Mainehunter :wink:
Canuck Bob
Senior Levergunner

Post by Canuck Bob »

Mainehunter wrote:Not on a Winchester but I rented a reamer from 4D this past spring. Re-thorted my Marlin 336 35 Remington with excellent results! Have good cutting oil on had, go slooooowwwwww and check your work often.

Did you fuss over pilot fit or did it work out ok?
Mainehunter
Senior Levergunner

Post by Mainehunter »

Canuck Bob wrote:
Mainehunter wrote:Not on a Winchester but I rented a reamer from 4D this past spring. Re-thorted my Marlin 336 35 Remington with excellent results! Have good cutting oil on had, go slooooowwwwww and check your work often.

Did you fuss over pilot fit or did it work out ok?
No I didn't loose any sleep over the pilot fit but if I was building a custom bolt action that's a different story. I just wanted to widen and lengthen the throat on Marlin, it was just too darn short and narrow! One thing that helped me was an indexed stop collar to adjust my depth. I had one from my other projects and I think you can rent those too. You could also try Pacific Tool if 4d doesn't work out.

Canuck Bob
Senior Levergunner

Post by Canuck Bob »

Thanks Mainehunter, the rental outfits don't mail to Canada.
Mainehunter
Senior Levergunner

Post by Mainehunter »

[quote="Canuck Bob"]Thanks Mainehunter, the rental outfits don't mail to Canada.[/quote]

Ahhhh forgot about that :oops: Most places don't ship them up there. One thing to try is Ebay, I see a few of them for sale but you just don't know what shape they are in. Worse case is to buy one and sell it when you get done with it. Good luck!

JFE
Levergunner 2.0

Post by JFE »

In my levers with short throats I managed to get around the loading flexibility and seating problems by using Lee FCD dies - I seat the pills where they chambered and functioned properly and then crimped them in place. Functioning was fine and accuracy unchanged.
Mike D.
***Rock Star***

Post by Mike D. »

Terry Murbach wrote:YOU MEAN....UUUUUHHHHHH.....LIKE AAAAAAAAAAHHHH....MRS WINCHESTER'S..........................??
:lol: :lol: :lol:
"Congressmen who willfully take actions during wartime that damage morale, and undermine the military are saboteurs and should be arrested, exiled or hanged"....President Abraham Lincoln
hfcable
Advanced Levergunner

Post by hfcable »

yes, on two different 1886 brownings, and on a model 92 44 magnum. the throats are some of these would not even allow use of most factory ammo. just rented reamer for the 45/70 and bought a throating reamer from brownells for the 44 mag. worked great!
cable
foxtrapper
Levergunner 2.0

Post by foxtrapper »

No Winchesters :| but all my Marlins have had the throats lengthened
Canuck Bob
Senior Levergunner

Post by Canuck Bob »

Moutain Molds does an article about lever throats specifcally;

http://www.mountainmolds.com/helpRifle.htm
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

That article was written with my Win 1950 in mind. Sloppy extra long chamber neck with no throat. Here's a pic of the chamber cast I did:
First cast full view.JPG
You can see where the rifling starts right at the end of the extra long neck. What a pain. This is also the one that splits case necks about 28% of the time.
I have a replacement barrel and I think I'm gonna do a chamber cast before I put it in. Just to see what the chamber is like.

Joe
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Canuck Bob
Senior Levergunner

Post by Canuck Bob »

J Miller wrote:That article was written with my Win 1950 in mind. Sloppy extra long chamber neck with no throat. Here's a pic of the chamber cast I did:
First cast full view.JPG
You can see where the rifling starts right at the end of the extra long neck. What a pain. This is also the one that splits case necks about 28% of the time.
I have a replacement barrel and I think I'm gonna do a chamber cast before I put it in. Just to see what the chamber is like.

Joe
Thanks Joe, never realized you were from Mountain Molds!!! My 94 is a '51. My Winoku 92 in 32-20 has an identical abrupt ramp from the chamber end. The difference is that the 32-20 chamber is only slightly longer (.020 maybe) than the case.

Once I slug the 32 Special I'll post a picture of the slug.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Canuck Bob wrote:
J Miller wrote:That article was written with my Win 1950 in mind. Sloppy extra long chamber neck with no throat. Here's a pic of the chamber cast I did:
First cast full view.JPG

Joe
Thanks Joe, never realized you were from Mountain Molds!!! My 94 is a '51. My Winoku 92 in 32-20 has an identical abrupt ramp from the chamber end. The difference is that the 32-20 chamber is only slightly longer (.020 maybe) than the case.

Once I slug the 32 Special I'll post a picture of the slug.
Bob,
I'm not from Mountain Molds. But as I read that article about the long necks and short throats it looked exactly like my 94. So I posted it.

Looking forward to your chamber cast.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Its a lot easier to make the ammo fit the throat.
Yes, It’s Mighty, No Need To Prove It…..
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Sixgun,

What if, as my chamber cast shows, there is no throat?

How then does one proceed?

Joe
JFE
Levergunner 2.0

Post by JFE »

J Miller wrote: What if, as my chamber cast shows, there is no throat?

Exactly as I suggested earlier. The chambers of my Browning M71, 1886 and Marlin 35 Rem have exactly the same problem, ie slightly longer neck but no throat at all. Ignoring the crimp location on the bullet, you simply seat the bullet to fit your chamber so that the cartridge cycles and chambers, then crimp in place using Lee FCD. Couldnt be simpler.

The risk you run by trying to open up the throat is that if you run the throating reamer slightly off centre, accuracy is likely to suffer. My rifles exhibited fine accuracy in stock form and I didnt want to take the risk of having the throats altered.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

JFE wrote:
J Miller wrote: What if, as my chamber cast shows, there is no throat?

Exactly as I suggested earlier. The chambers of my Browning M71, 1886 and Marlin 35 Rem have exactly the same problem, ie slightly longer neck but no throat at all. Ignoring the crimp location on the bullet, you simply seat the bullet to fit your chamber so that the cartridge cycles and chambers, then crimp in place using Lee FCD. Couldnt be simpler.

The risk you run by trying to open up the throat is that if you run the throating reamer slightly off centre, accuracy is likely to suffer. My rifles exhibited fine accuracy in stock form and I didnt want to take the risk of having the throats altered.
JFE,
I have some of the Lyman 311041 bullets (.310") loaded and some plated 170? (.308") gr bullets loaded as well.
Even though the chamber is a bit too long, the rifling still starts about where it would normally and both the cast and the plated bullet run right into the rifling.
The cast bullet is seated to and crimped in the crimp grove and the plated bullet is seated to the same length as the normal jacketed bullets.

Now what? I can't seat them longer, and I don't want to seat them too deep.

Joe
JFE
Levergunner 2.0

Post by JFE »

Forget about the crimp groove location on the bullet - simply seat the bullet into the case until the front driving band (on your 311041) clears the end of the chamber and functions in the rifle, then crimp into place using a Lee FCD. I usually seat just a little deeper to ensure trouble free use of hunting ammo. In my rifles it generally means I'm crimping the bullet in the middle of the front driving band, which is about 50 thou deeper than the crimp groove location. You can do the same with jacketed or plated bullets.
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Joe,
Our Austrailian friend JFE could not have said it better.! (Good job JFE :D ) That is exactly what I do--ignore the crimping groove and crimp with a LFCD. Hey! Its not a "fashion contest" on how the loaded round looks. Most of my "dash caliber" rounds have a lube groove showing, or maybe one and a half a groove showing.

I don't care what the manuals say about maximum overall length. It varies greatly from manufacturer to manufacturer. For an instance the manuals say 1.600 is max for the 44-40. In my 1873 I seat 'em 1.630. This measurement just clears and allows me to seat 'em into the rifling. In one .257 Roberts, its almost a disgrace on how far out I seat 'em--but............they feed and I can add 2 more grains of IMR 4895-------------oooooohhhhhhhh (or how ever you spell oooohhh) this .257 Remington Classic will bust clay pigeons all day long at 500 meters. :D

Common sense prevails here--always test first as you might not be able to chamber a round. Is what I do is "ever so slightly" size a case and then (without powder or primer) :wink: ----insert a bullet and send her home into the chamber---slightly===easily....----(remember when you were young)---oooohhhh :D ............then --------easily withdraw :D ..........and that will do it-----as long as its not too long to feed-----------------in that case, go to the max. that YOUR rifle will feed. :wink: -----------Whew, I need a drink.......and a ..............well, lets not say--------------------Sixgun
Yes, It’s Mighty, No Need To Prove It…..
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Thanks JFE and Sixgun. I got it now.

Joe