OT (?) Trying to help a friend...(w/ pics)

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Larsen E. Whipsnade
Levergunner 1.0

OT (?) Trying to help a friend...(w/ pics)

Post by Larsen E. Whipsnade »

A friend's grandfather has been struck with dementia. Apparently it came on rather suddenly. He's in a nursing home and often doesn't even recognize family members. Evidently he was quite the hunter, shooter, and fisherman. Various family members are keeping his firearms, archery, and fishing gear. One reloads for shotgun and is taking the press, powder, and components for that which were on hand. He also had considerable components on hand for pistol & rifle, but no one in the family is into that, so they want to sell this stuff (bullets, brass, powder) to help defray his medical expenses. I've bought what I can use, but for the rest, I've looked up the current prices of the different things, and the plan is to post a list at some local gun clubs. My first question is, what do you guys think would be a fair asking price (for both sides?) Obviously he bought it when prices were lower than they are now, but it would still cost someone else current retail to pick it up now. I was thinking, ask 75% of current price, and if haggling develops, go down to maybe 60%, at least for the stuff there is immediate interest in, and if necessary, lower for anything that doesn't move. Do you guys think that's fair, or would you start higher or lower, settle for less or more? The family really doesn't know where to start. They're not looking to squeeze the last nickle out, but they don't want to give it away, either.

Some of the powder cans he has appear to be pretty old. For instance, he has a can of 2400, and 2 of Unique, that are definitely packaged differently than when I started reloading (mid -70's). I'm wondering if they might have any collector value, and if so how much? (Some feel full, but I didn't open them for fear of decreasing value, if in fact there is any.)

There are several other types of powder in similar cans that are probably about the same vintage. I won't post all the pictures and clutter up the post unless you feel from the above examples they might have some value.

Another thing is a set of CH dies in .243 which are chrome plated. I've never owned CH so I don't know if they still make them that way, but the box looks old. Anyone know if there is any collector interest there?

He also has quite a few boxes of Herter's bullets, different calibers & weights, some of which still have an unbroken seal. As I recall, Herter's went out of business about 40 years ago. Any collector value there?

Finally, he has a couple of old revolvers. They consider them heirlooms and probably don't want to sell them, but would like to have an idea of their worth, and when they were made. The first is a Colt SSA in .32 WCF. It's in pretty rough shape, as you can see.

The pitting is pretty bad, especially on the outside of the barrel, (I didn't check the bore - afraid I'd cry) and the half-cock notch only catches about 1 time out of 10. I doubt if even Turnbull could resurrect it. I'm guessing it's only worth whatever someone might pay for a wallhanger. Any thoughts? The serial # is 2630xx. Can any of you Colt collectors tell me when it was made?

The other is older, I think. I'm pretty sure it's a .22 short. It's missing the base pin for the cylinder, but otherwise seems to be in decent shape. It has a brass frame, and the top of the barrel says "Whitneyville Armory CT. USA". The only other markings I could find was a 4 digit ser. # on the butt - 41xx. I recall reading something quite awhile ago that similar type revolvers came out around the 1860's. Can anyone identify it, date it, or make a guess as to value?

Thanks in advance to anyone who can help out.
homefront
Levergunner 3.0

Post by homefront »

I'm not far from Betlehem.
I doubt that I could afford the revolvers (you should post them at;
http://single-actions.phpbb3now.com/ind ... efab16afc0 - register there and pm a guy named John Taffin), but the powders interest me. I have no idea if they have any extra value due to age, but if they've been stored correctly I'll pay what they go for today. I would also be interested in a list of what's left; I could post it at my gun club in Sumneytown, if I don't buy it myself.
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

I have no idea on the value of either piece, but the condition of the Colt SAA almost makes me cry. Someone needs to give that thing some TLC soon or it'll all be lost.
Old Law Dawg
Greg807
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Greg807 »

I wouldn't sell anything until you have the whole Lott appraised buy a professional. Here's one in PA. http://www.quinbys.com/appraisals.asp
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Welcome to the Forum. I agree with Greg. Taffin should be able to give a fair assessment of both the Colt and the Whitneyville. If you look on EBay, you'll see some reloading gear go for quite a bit, as yes, the older powder cans (full or otherwise) and tools have a fair collector value.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
wm
Senior Levergunner

Post by wm »

I think the Whitneyville revolver was called a 'smoot'. I think they date back to the late 1860s and early 1870s.

I have seen them here and there on occasion but don't really know much more than that.

I hope that helps.

Wm
Larsen E. Whipsnade
Levergunner 1.0

Homefront, I sent you a PM.
Leverdude
Senior Levergunner

Post by Leverdude »

I'v got a pound of 2400 in one of those cans right now I'm working thru.
Surprisingly it chronyd right with the modern stuff.
Bluehawk
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Bluehawk »

MR Fields
its a shame you just missed the Allentown show and you could have taken some of the stuff and or pictures there and compared what dealers had on the tables to check out the selling prices . Its s good way to find out what prices our area is bringing .
Find another gun show in the area ( six gun keeps up with them more than I do ) and go to them with pictures and look a the tables for the same items and guns and you will see what they are worth FOR SALE .
Sorry I'm not in the market right now for any of those items if so I would have driven up and taken a look
Good Luck
The right way is always the hardest. It's like the law of nature , water always takes the path of least resistence...... That's why we get crooked rivers and crooked men . TR Theodore the Great
WIN 1894
Levergunner 1.0

Post by WIN 1894 »

Colt SAA Manf: 1905. Good luck :) :)
Noah Zark
Senior Levergunner

Post by Noah Zark »

IMO and experience, the powder CANS are probably worth more than the contents. I've seen prices on Hercules powder cans of that era (late 50s through early 70s) range from $25 to $45, earlier vintage cans even higher.

Noah
Might as well face it, you're addicted to guns . . .
homefront
Levergunner 3.0

Post by homefront »

Homefront, I sent you a PM.
Sorry, there's no pm in my mailbox!
Larsen E. Whipsnade
Levergunner 1.0

Homefront,
Sorry about that! I don't know how I managed to screw that up, but if you e-mail me at rhendricks@enter.net, I'll give you his daughter's e-mail address. She's the one who is going to be handling things so it's probably simpler if you deal with her directly. Thanks again.
homefront
Levergunner 3.0

Post by homefront »

Thanks, I'll e-mail tonight.