Dreaming about a 32 Winchester Special

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Canuck Bob
Senior Levergunner

Dreaming about a 32 Winchester Special

Post by Canuck Bob »

I'm laid up a bit for the weekend and started dreaming about my next rifle. I'm a sucker for the model 64 Winchester long barrel rifles. No disresect to others but that is what a Winchester should look like to me.

I also want to get a lever that falls between my 444 and 32-20. The rifle will be a dedicated cast bullet shooter so the old long neck cartridges have a ton of appeal. The 30-30 is hard to beat for price, availability, and component sourcing. However the 32 Special has a great name and gentle twist for good cast performance.

Anyone care to comment?
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Dreaming about a 32 Winchester Special

Post by O.S.O.K. »

Check gunbroker - there's several listed. :)
NRA Endowment Life
Phi Kappa Sigma, Alpha Phi 83 "Skulls"
OCS, 120th MP Battalion, MSSG
MOLON LABE!
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

Mines a 41 carbine...
not too much difference between it and the 30-30
I think its pretty darn accurate...all i need is a factory crimp die to load
although Terry told me you can use a 30-30...
Its good choice ......if you want something between the 444 and 32-20
but I like the 38-55 better...
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Its 6 and 1/2 dozen of the other. I've shot and loaded for both of them out of many various firearms and both handle cast well. Each rifle of any caliber has it's own quirks and once you learn them, well, its a piece of cake to make 'em hit little targets way out yonder.

Over the years I've probably had better luck getting a 30-30 to shooter better faster and more easily than the 32 Spl. with less load development and range time.----------Sixgun
Yes, It’s Mighty, No Need To Prove It…..
Canuck Bob
Senior Levergunner

Post by Canuck Bob »

O.S.O.K. wrote:Check gunbroker - there's several listed. :)
Canadian here, must be in Canada for legal and reasons of cost.
Canuck Bob
Senior Levergunner

Post by Canuck Bob »

Sixgun,

The 30-30 is an option. It is impossible to get a better calibre for component choice. A box of shells is available from the Arctic Coast to any hardware store. I still have 30 cal envy when i try to track down 32-20 bullets ands see the rows of 30 cal. bullets!

Oddly, a nice clean 32 Special seems easier to get at a good price. they were very popular here and many old homesteaders and trappers did prefer them.

This is also about maybe moving along my 444 as I will not use it in the bush again. A handy little cast shooter with a reasonable punch would be great.
pokey
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pokey »

RIHMFIRE wrote:Mines a 41 carbine...
had to read this post a couple of times. :lol:
i thought there's a caliber i haven't tried. :roll:
careful what you wish for, you might just get it.

"BECAUSE I CAN"
mod71alaska
Senior Levergunner

Post by mod71alaska »

Canuck Bob wrote:....I'm a sucker for the model 64 Winchester long barrel rifles.

....The 30-30 is hard to beat for price, availability, and component sourcing. However the 32 Special has a great name and gentle twist for good cast performance.

Anyone care to comment?
You mean like one of these?

These Winchester Model 64s date from 1940 to 1953; three are 30-30 and three are .32WS. If you lived in the States, Bob, I could help you out.

Good luck in your search. The original Winchester Model 64 is a wonderful rifle!

Victor
damienph
Senior Levergunner

Post by damienph »

Don't pass on the Marlins. My early '50s Model 336 Sporting Carbine is a good shooter and has taken several white tails by my Dad and myself.
Canuck Bob
Senior Levergunner

Post by Canuck Bob »

Mod71Alaska, I am so jealous. Just when I started thinking maybe a 64 wasn't an option you post that pic. The extra coin isn't the issue it was and its your fault.

I'm fond of pistol grips and never write the Marlin out either. If I went Marlin I would go 30-30 as they are readily available. I need to handle a straight grip 94 to get a current feel for the handling, arthritis has tightened up my wrist quite a bit.
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

pokey wrote:
RIHMFIRE wrote:Mines a 41 carbine...
had to read this post a couple of times. :lol:
i thought there's a caliber i haven't tried. :roll:
1941 carbine... :D
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Canuck Bob wrote:Sixgun,

The 30-30 is an option. It is impossible to get a better calibre for component choice. A box of shells is available from the Arctic Coast to any hardware store. I still have 30 cal envy when i try to track down 32-20 bullets ands see the rows of 30 cal. bullets!

Oddly, a nice clean 32 Special seems easier to get at a good price. they were very popular here and many old homesteaders and trappers did prefer them.

This is also about maybe moving along my 444 as I will not use it in the bush again. A handy little cast shooter with a reasonable punch would be great.

Canuck Bob,
It is always a wise choice to get what "hits the soul". The 32 Spl. with a cast bullet going 1800-2000 will clean the clock of anything you wish to tangle with. I wish you luck in your endevor.

That Model 71 Alaska has a mess of 'em. Take a ride over to his hideout and swipe one. He is always outside because the weather is nice where he lives so you can just park down the street, walk down and get the one that suits your fancy :D ----------------Sixgun
Yes, It’s Mighty, No Need To Prove It…..
Canuck Bob
Senior Levergunner

Post by Canuck Bob »

Canuck Bob,
It is always a wise choice to get what "hits the soul". The 32 Spl. with a cast bullet going 1800-2000 will clean the clock of anything you wish to tangle with. I wish you luck in your endevor.

That Model 71 Alaska has a mess of 'em. Take a ride over to his hideout and swipe one. He is always outside because the weather is nice where he lives so you can just park down the street, walk down and get the one that suits your fancy :D ----------------Sixgun[/quote]

I have to agree. Life is too short to always be sensible, specially with shooting iron. Heck a guy could do fine with one nice 22, one 30-06 deer rifle, and a good 12 gauge pump and be well fed and safe. BORING!!!!

My Dad helped build the Alaskan highway in the forties so a trip north, we don't say that a lot here, might be in order for nostalgia. They refused him enlistment because he was 15 and his 3 brothers were already overseas. But driving to Mod71's house to boost a gun might get me a trip to some terrorist compound in Cuba!!! He might be a little overprivelaged in the lever department but still a nice guy. He posted a collection of 22's on another post. He has too many choices for a walk in the woods.
earlmck
Advanced Levergunner

Post by earlmck »

Canuck Bob wrote: I'm a sucker for the model 64 Winchester long barrel rifles. No disrespect to others but that is what a Winchester should look like to me.
Yeah know what you mean. I was wandering around the local gun show a few months ago, one of the fellows had a couple nice Marlin 336A's (Marlin's equivalent of the Win 64). I said "I've got the 30 and the 35, but might have to have a 32 spcl". Nope, he didn't have that but thought a booth back up the way had one. So I wandered up there. No Marlins but there was this kinda' beat-up Win 1894 with the 26" Octagon barrel. It followed me home. Roughish barrel, but seems to shoot awful well, and that nice old weight-forward barrel just hangs on target waiting for you to drop the hammer.

And dang, still need to find that 336A. But have brass and dies for it now: always good to have a head start on a worthy project.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
The greatest patriot...
is he who heals the most gullies.
Patrick Henry
model55
Levergunner 3.0

Post by model55 »

I'm not bias or anything but don't pass on a model 55 if you run across one either.Basically looks similar to the 64 but with a straight grip and came as take downs.
Canuck Bob
Senior Levergunner

Post by Canuck Bob »

model55 wrote:I'm not bias or anything but don't pass on a model 55 if you run across one either.Basically looks similar to the 64 but with a straight grip and came as take downs.
thanks I'll google but they rarely seem to pop up here.
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

I like my .32 quite a lot --- Its obviously a carbine, so not the configuration your interested in. Mine is a 1947 with some minor finish wear from carrying it . To me it looks perfect. Unlike the new Glock i was prattling on about in an earlier post today, i can sit in my chair with this firearm and just look at it, wondering what kind of adventures or misadventures it saw before i took posession of it.

And bonus for me ---- it was zeroed properly on the first tube of bullets i put downrange, so i haven't had to tinker with it :D It will be used by me for the first time here in about 3 1/2 months in whitetail rifle season :D

Last edited by Streetstar on Sun Jul 17, 2011 9:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
----- Doug
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

----double post :o :o
----- Doug
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

I wanted the same thing: a NIB .32 Special w/24" bbl - something WAAAY outta my price range.

Soooo, what I bought was a NIB .32 Special w/24" bbl for a LOT less $$$ (like, less than 1/2) - a Model 94 Canadian Rail Road Centennial Commemorative Rifle, which I promptly peeped & hunted. (The slip-on pad is to assimmilate a thick cold-weather hunting coat during hot weather practice)

Canuck Bob
Senior Levergunner

Post by Canuck Bob »

Pete44ru wrote:I wanted the same thing: a NIB .32 Special w/24" bbl - something WAAAY outta my price range.

Soooo, what I bought was a NIB .32 Special w/24" bbl for a LOT less $$$ (like, less than 1/2) - a Model 94 Canadian Rail Road Centennial Commemorative Rifle, which I promptly peeped & hunted. (The slip-on pad is to assimmilate a thick cold-weather hunting coat during hot weather practice)

These models never turned my crank for collecting but I've spotted a couple that would make great shooters. I quess if they have been shot and have no box c/w box liner or documents they are basically just used guns.

The CPR has a great deal of Canadian History attached to it. We were a very small population in a huge land when that was achieved. As a Colony we grew up.
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by .45colt »

Bob, I'll go the other way and reccomend a 30-30. I know it's a boring ole round but ammo is everywhere and so are bullets.. I have a 64 made in '53 that is just a well used hunter,I bet it was never fired 100 rnds in it's life. that rifle just begs for a crisp fall day.
Canuck Bob
Senior Levergunner

Post by Canuck Bob »

.45colt wrote:Bob, I'll go the other way and reccomend a 30-30. I know it's a boring ole round but ammo is everywhere and so are bullets.. I have a 64 made in '53 that is just a well used hunter,I bet it was never fired 100 rnds in it's life. that rifle just begs for a crisp fall day.
Your advice is sound. I think it will come down to the rifle more than the caliber. I'll not overlook a good deal on a 30-30 for a 32. I am researching the post-64 options for a good shooter priced downright cheap. I can save hundreds if I can put up with the weird plated receiver thing. Many hunters seem happy with thier post-64s once the carrier, pins, and such were upgraded. The USRA and safety models don't fare as well.
Canuck Bob
Senior Levergunner

Post by Canuck Bob »

Quick note for future searches. Convinced by true experts 30-30 and 32 Special really too similar to worry about as far as performance. 30-30 is never a mistake in a deer rifle.

I chose a 32 pre-64 94.

1- Cast was important and many posts said the 32 was the easiest cast rifle they ever loaded first time out, read it many times. Many satisfied owners for rifle and cartridge combo.

2- 32 Marlins were hard to find in Canada during my search. Would have considered one in a heartbeat. Liked the early RCs and owner's rave about the SCs. I consider them slightly better designed and built than the touted pre-64 I bought. I enjoy cleaning my 444 from the breech and MG barrels are real shooters, cast or jacketed!

3- New H Leverevolution Powder should shine in this cartridge for power loads.

4- Real popular in Canada in its day. Heritage always matters.

5- Great name, 32 Special, shouldn't matter but does!

6 - Larger diameter bullets, even a little, is never a bad idea.
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

[ Great name, 32 Special, shouldn't matter but does ! ]

Yep - "Special" is special ! . ;)

And you forgot #7 - get a .32 gun, for fun. . :mrgreen: . :mrgreen: