Give me a gun with some scratches

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
getitdone1
Senior Levergunner

Give me a gun with some scratches

Post by getitdone1 »

Kind of an odd statement/title, I know, but I more and more appreciate good 'ole guns or even pickup trucks that have seen better days--cosmetically, that is. Always want'em reliable.

For instance, my dad's old Ford pickup. I can take that thing and do whatever I want and not worry a bit about dirt or scratches. Not so with my 2005 Chevy with cap and "Bed Rug." Then there's my recent purchase of an old model 64 Winchester. It's been reblued and the blueing is worn off on the end portion of the barrel. The stock is about perfect but shows it's age. Thing is, unlike my Browning 1886 or 71, I don't concern myself nearly so much about how I handle this old 64 and I like the history and aged look it shows. I wouldn't think of having it refurbished so it looked like new.

How about you? I know that member Malamute sees his guns as tools to be used and doesn't worry so much if they get a little beat-up.

Over the years I've fussed so much with the appearance of cars and guns that I'm beginning to get tired of it. Too, as I get older I better realize I'm going to be long gone while my guns, with new owners, will continue on for many years. Kind of helps put things into perspective.
In other words, me and my time (which is limited) come first so I'll be spending less time on gun and vehicle care. I'll have fewer guns before long, too.

Don
awp101
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Give me a gun with some scratches

Post by awp101 »

Yup! I prefer the "been there, done that" look, which is not to be confused with abuse.
Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits.
-Mark Twain

Proverbs 3:5; Philippians 4:13

Got to have a Jones for this
Jones for that
This running with the Joneses boy
Just ain't where it's at
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

I have both kinds and like them both for different reasons.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

86er
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 86er »

I am not a gun collector. While I appreciate firearms that have good looks, I purchase them for their applicability. I never know when I will have to crawl through brush, endore dust or a rain shower and it is going to get banged into something and get a spot of blood on in eventually no matter what I do. I find that I cannot enjoy a gun, or a truck for that matter, if I am constantly worrying about it or obsessing over the care of it. Many of the bumps and bruises bring back memories of the adventure, others I have no idea how they got there but I know it was from using it for it's intended purpose. My most expensive gun is a Purdey that belonged to the Earl of Sefton and I completely updated during apprenticeship. It is worth more than most brand new 4X4 trucks and even some houses. I don't want anything to happen to it but I enjoy using it so much I feel compelled to take it hunting. It has suffered a few minor nicks and dings, but I use it when I can somewhat predict the weather and other environmental conditions. Some people think I am crazy for taking it out of the house, but when I am on a bird hunt without it I actually miss it. So, it is used more selectively than any of my other guns but it still gets blood, dust, dirt and dog slobber on it while I drag it through grouse thickets and corn fields alike.
Professional Hunter
http://www.TARSPORTING.com
"Worldwide Hunting Adventures"

Professional Hunters Assoc of South Africa
SCI - Life Member
NRA - Life Member
NAHC - Trophy Life Member
DWWC - Member
adirondakjack
Senior Levergunner

Post by adirondakjack »

Ultimately, they are tools. Yep, they get scratched. But unless ya hang em on a wall, may as well get over it.

Once upon a time, having grown up poor, I struggled mightily to keep guns (and cars) "nice". These days I just use em. The guns will be here when I'm not, used and enjoyed, and the cars, well they are mostly gone anyway, and I give em little more concern than a milk carton. When they're "used up", move on.

This came home to my wife a few weeks ago. Her workplace had a damaging hail storm, and her car got a couple dozen dings in the roof and hood. She was a little upset as she told me about it on the phone. I asked "Is the glass all there?"
After a short pause, "Yes."
"Then don't worry about it. It's just a darned car."
Certified gun nut
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

I must admit I like guns to look like they have been used, my 9422 was scratched and worn and very cheap when I bought it, I got rid of the varnish and buffed up the bluing and now it looks like it was made in the 1870s instead of the 1970s but it's still reliable and accurate. :D
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

I buy brand new guns and they get used. I try not to beat them up, I'm careful with them, but not anal. Eventually they will get use marks. I don't really care.

I buy used guns and they get used some more. I try not to beat them up, I'm careful with them, but not anal. Eventually they will get more use marks. I don't really care.

I almost never have a gun refinished. I've never found anyone that will do it the way I want it done. And a regular refinish job destroys the history of all the use marks as well.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

:oops: I let some of mine get a bit....Um...."seasoned" :lol:
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
wecsoger
Senior Levergunner

Post by wecsoger »

Said many times before I refuse to own a gun that's wood has more character than I do.
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

Yea that's the way it is with my truck. It's always, hey uncle Rusty can I borrow your truck? I need to go to the dump. Or I need to go pick up a couch, or my mower needs to go to the shop.

How come it's never hey uncle Rusty can I borrow your truck? I want to see how those spinning brushes work on a really dirty vehicle down at the car wash. Or I want to see just how far above the full mark the needle on your gas gauge goes.

Oh well. :?:
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

Most people in the old days could only afford one or maybe two guns and they got used as the tools they are. Today many of us have more guns than we need for anything and some are kept nice and some are work guns. I have a Colt SAA that hardly ever gets used or my Browning 86 i bought new in 86, i get them out with the intention of using them and before long back they go because i don`t want to scratch them. Some guns are just to nice to scratch up as long as i have others that i don`t care if they get scratched. Take my new Marlin Cowboy 45-70, that`s my carry gun and it will get some dings in it i`m sure but it well be scars from service and that`s different.
If all i had were the Colt and the 86 they`d be out getting good and used don`t worry.
Because I Can, and Have
-------------------------------------------------------------
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Disclaimer, not responsible for anyone copying or building anything i make.
Always consult an expert first.
Terry Murbach
Shootist

Post by Terry Murbach »

I LOVE TO FIND SIXGUNS WITH REAL HOLSTER WEAR ON 'EM, THE SIGN THIS WAS A USIN' GUN , NOT A LOOKIN' GUN.
ABOUT TEN OR FIFTEEN YEARS AGO I FOUND A COLT SAA 5 1/2" 38SPL FOR SALE. IT HAD BEEN A WYOMING COWBOY'S GUN AND THE HOLSTER WEAR ON IT WAS BEAUTIFUL. IT TURNED OUT TO BE A " FIRST WEEK SECOND GENERATION " GUN, BUT WHEN YOU LOOK CLOSELY ALL THE PARTS IN IT ARE FIRST GENERATION PARTS. SOMETIME LATER I GOT A CALL FROM SOME FELLOW BACK EAST WHO OFFERED ME $1800 FOR IT SIGHT UNSEEN, OVER TWICE WHAT I HAD IN IT. I KEPT IT AS I DO NOT BUY GUNS AS "INVESTMENTS " [GAG BARF PUKE RETCH ] AND I ALREADY KNEW THE MOST IMPORTENT THING, IT SHOT LIKE A MILLION BUCKS DEAD ON THE SIGHTS AND LOVED 38/44 HANDLOADS. GIVEN AN OPPORTUNITY I WILL ALWAYS BUY USED WARN GUNS INSTEAD OF ANY NEW GUN.
ON THE OTHER HAND, THE TWO NEW COLT NEW FRONTIER SIXGUNS I'VE HAD ON ORDER SINCE 11/10 ARE BOTH MODELS I DO NOT HAVE [ I DO HAVE MOST ALL THE REST, ALL SHOOTING GUNS, INCLUDING THE THIRD RAREST COLT SIXGUN EXTANT..] AND WERE NEVER MADE IN THE 2nd AND 3rd GENERATION NF SIXGUNS.
RIDE, SHOOT STRAIGHT, AND SPEAK THE TRUTH
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

I don't mind some honest use and wear and tear, but if i'm starting off with a new or like new firearm, i'll do my very best to avoid the thorn bushes :lol:

However, i rarely look twice at a firearm with too much "character" (unless its 60 years old like the Colt Terry was talking about) ----- if its a late model Winchester or MArlin that looks like its been dragged through the wringer, i just shudder to think how the former user took care of the bore
----- Doug
gak
Senior Levergunner

Post by gak »

I purchased a pristine (99.5%) Pre 64 at a gunshow. I had several other Pre's, but nothing this clean, in fact liked the road wear on the ones I had--as someone said, used but not abused. But, being my birth year--a long time goal--this "new" one was that much more special. I carried that gun the next twenty or so minutes like it was a new born baby, in search of at least a cheap case so I could peruse the rest of the show without worrying. What'd I do? Turning a corner, I thought ever so gingerly but avoiding someone coming at me in the aisle, I put the completely blemish-free stock into the corner of a display case. Some 55 years young, its very first mark! Not big but there. Even in a mostly invisible spot. Still, that rankled me--sickened is more like it--for a long time--virtually new gun, and so unnecessary...and I hate having to be so careful. Why I have so few safe queens. I appreciate the ones I have for what they are, but I enjoy the ones with honest (and a few with "dishonest") wear even more. And...I'm with those that have said--almost always used versus new gun. I've had to make an exception out of some recent year Ruger .44 Specials and such, however :)
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

I love both old and new guns.
Honestly, does not matter if its a older gun that I have Dura-coated or a new shiny one. I use them when I need them and I treat them the same.If I am in bad weather conditions etc.I attend to my old one just as quick as my new shiny one.I would never take any gun and just throw it behind a truck seat slamming around.
That's just the way I was raised around guns.I feel if any gun you have is treated well it will be ready to serve you well back when needed.
Some things are just embedded in a person!
damienph
Senior Levergunner

Post by damienph »

I also am not a collector but am an avid accumulator. I've always said that I don't want to own a gun that I can't shoot. I have taken some very nice rifles and handguns hunting/shooting and have dinged and scratched them up some... Except, a few years ago I did trade into an ANIB 1954 Colt Commander (my birth year). Absolutely the most beautiful handgun (heck, gun, period) that I have ever owned. I have shot it several times but cannot bear to put it into a holster for fear of marring the deep blue mirror finish on the slide flats. I take it out in the box, shoot it and place it carefully back into the box.

I sort of wish that it had already seen some use before I got it.

My son can wear it out if he wants to when he inherits it but I just can't do it.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

I'm just going to ding 'em up anyway, so no point in getting a 'prissy' one unless it is one I want more for just looking at, or as an 'investment', than shooting.

I always feel I have to 'baby' a pristine-looking new gun, and in a way am glad when it gets its first ding, so I don't have the pressure of keeping it in "like-new, but without box or papers" :roll: condition.

Same goes for cars...

...maybe women, too. :lol: :lol:

< :shock: OUCH!!!! > :o
  • Oh hi, honey. . :oops: . . I guess I didn't see you standing there looking over my shoulder while I was typing...

...er, I mean I DID see you standing there, so I just typed that to be funny, that's what I did.

Well, I know it isn't really that 'funny', but it sort of IS, if you're a guy.

Yes, dear - you'd think it was equally 'funny' if I got off the computer and did the dishes.

Gotta go. :|
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
getitdone1
Senior Levergunner

Post by getitdone1 »

I really overstated things a bit with my title--esp. the word scratches. I should have said good, honest wear. I can't stand rust pits and just about gott'em recently on a shotgun. Part of what I was trying to say is I've babied my guns around so much for so long I'm tired of it. Then when I think of them lasting a lot longer than I will I'm about ready to go outside and run through some thick stuff with'em.

Well...I watch'em close and suppose I always will and that's why I've started liking the guns with good, honest wear so I can relax and enjoy'em more.

Get rid of about half of'em and use the heck out of what's left. I'm mak'in a sell list. Problem is I also have a buy list!

On and on it goes......... :lol:

Don
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

I've got new ones and old ones. I like'em all. I don't have any safe queens, I plan on shooting all of them. I don't abuse'em, just use'em with due care and caution. If they get a scratch, I don't like it, but it's not the end of the world. I really like an older classic with honest use and wear. They have character. I just can't usually afford'em so I have new ones. Eventually they'll look like the others.
Old Law Dawg
Dave
Senior Levergunner

Post by Dave »

I hate to beat a really nice collector gun. I have sold everything I had that was "too nice to use". I don't like an abused or butchered gun but I don't mind honest wear one bit. Really I wish I could find the time to get a whole lot more dinks on my guns.
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

Like these?

Smith 29 I bought new in about '82,

Ruger 45 I've had a while also. Done a few things to it over the years.

Another Ruger with a few miles on it,

One of my 94's that gets out a bit. It's one of my main truck and grouse guns.

In it's usual spot with one of the Ruger 45's,

I don't try to be hard on them, but when you use them and carry them a lot, there isnt much you can do to keep them shiny. The dust in Az and Wy permeates everything, including your holsters, and acts like sandpaper. Rifles have a bit easier time of it, but the ones that ride in the truck much get wear where they lay against the seat. All above I bought new or as new, just carried them a lot. The sixguns have been daily carry guns over several (20-some or so) years, the 29 the most.

This one was well worn when I got it, it was a ranch gun in Az. It was made in '27, and looked like it worked hard every day of it's life before I aquired it in the 80's.

I do have one or two shiny ones tho,

Last edited by Malamute on Tue Jul 12, 2011 10:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Isnt it amazing how many people post without reading the thread?
horsesoldier03
Advanced Levergunner

Post by horsesoldier03 »

I have a few nice guns left that have no scratches or dings. None of my guns have rust, but they sure have few dings and scratches on occasion, mainly my primary hunting guns. However, I do have the ones that I wouldnt exactly call safe queens, they get used a couple times a year, however, I did break down and buy me some gun socks for them while they are stored in the safe.
“Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.”
shooter
Senior Levergunner

Post by shooter »

I use my guns, plain and simple. I can't afford to be a true "collector", and every gun I have serves a purpose. I take very good care of my guns, but they do see a lot of use and tend to show it. No rust, but there is wear from holsters, riding in the truck, etc. I used to be anal about my guns, but soon realized that if I carry them in the bush much they are gonna show it.
‎"If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude greater than the animating contest for freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you; and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen" - Samuel Adams
getitdone1
Senior Levergunner

Post by getitdone1 »

Malamute,

Great to see some of your guns. Very nice photos.

The photos pretty much speak for themselves--and the owner of the guns.

For some of you who don't know: Malamute builds log cabins for a living and lives in "grizzly country."

Malamute, have you got the model 71 modified to your liking?

Don
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Malamute - very interesting - neat to see those guns that have seen so much use. I have nothing like that even with guns that have 1,000 to 6,000 rounds through them.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

GoatGuy
Senior Levergunner

Post by GoatGuy »

Hope no one else is like this. It's a curse, I tell ya'. When I stumble on to one or another of what I've been looking for, I'm naturally drawn to the most pristine example. And will usually wait to pull out the wallet until I find one just like that. After getting it home, and cogitating over all the uses I intend to put it to, I most often find myself thinking "it's to nice to be a using piece, ... wouldn't want it to get a ding on the wood or a scratch on the metal". So it then tends to be put away in the safe and I really never get to have the fun with it I wanted when it was bought. So after many months, sometime years, I often begin to think I need another example of the one relegated to the safe. At the first opportunity I'll pick up a copy of the safe queen, particularly if it comes pre-scuffed, dinged, blue worn, etc. Then I can have some fun shooting, carrying it, using it as a tractor or farm truck gun, etc. How stupid I am for not just getting the worn one in the first place. Would save money and eliminate the "don't you already have one of those" kind of questions from the better half. :roll:
"If a man does away with his traditional way of living and throws away his good customs, he had better first make certain that he has something of value to replace them." - Basuto proverb.
gak
Senior Levergunner

Post by gak »

GoatGuy wrote:Hope no one else is like this. It's a curse, I tell ya'. When I stumble on to one or another of what I've been looking for, I'm naturally drawn to the most pristine example. And will usually wait to pull out the wallet until I find one just like that. After getting it home, and cogitating over all the uses I intend to put it to, I most often find myself thinking "it's to nice to be a using piece, ... wouldn't want it to get a ding on the wood or a scratch on the metal". So it then tends to be put away in the safe and I really never get to have the fun with it I wanted when it was bought. So after many months, sometime years, I often begin to think I need another example of the one relegated to the safe. At the first opportunity I'll pick up a copy of the safe queen, particularly if it comes pre-scuffed, dinged, blue worn, etc. Then I can have some fun shooting, carrying it, using it as a tractor or farm truck gun, etc. How stupid I am for not just getting the worn one in the first place. Would save money and eliminate the "don't you already have one of those" kind of questions from the better half. :roll:
But thenyou wouldn't have the safe queen to admire :)
Jacko
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Jacko »

Check out how this fella runs in his new Rifle

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TRRahHX9 ... r_embedded
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

That's broke in alright. :shock:
Old Law Dawg
Mike D.
***Rock Star***

Post by Mike D. »

All of my Winchesters, and others, have appropriate marrs and scratches to both metal and wood, I would have it no other way. What bloody good is a no go show boat safe queen? :D
"Congressmen who willfully take actions during wartime that damage morale, and undermine the military are saboteurs and should be arrested, exiled or hanged"....President Abraham Lincoln
Meeteetse
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Meeteetse »

Never really thought about it, but I do prefer a gun that shows use but not abuse. I guess that is why I have bought more guns in private sales than gun shops. None of my guns have any real wear because none of my guns have been used that much. Like someone said, I have more guns than I need, so only a few are used because they are my favorites for hunting or whatever. I have some handguns that have holster wear but very little wear from shooting. I have only two scoped bolt guns and they are like new because they get little use. My lever guns run from nicely worn to near new because I have always tried to "acquire" two of any model so I could use one and save one in case the other one wears out. Well after "acquiring" guns for more than 50 years, I have yet to wear one out from good use.

To me there is nothing better than a nicely worn Winchester or a S&W large frame revolver, especially if I know the story of the gun.
All it takes for tyranny to succeed is for good men to do nothing.

Previous member of Mr. Kelly's forum.
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

I really think it depends on what you want it for. As high condition Winchester & Colts are better than any 401K plan, they are best left as is---------high condition. Yea, shoot 'em but be careful. Other guns that are bought for tools and occasional shooting are OK if they have some wear. In any gun--it is what it is :wink: -------------------Sixgun
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

El Chivo
Advanced Levergunner

Post by El Chivo »

Most of mine have gotten scratched up right away, it's the nature of the places I take them.
"I'll tell you what living is. You get up when you feel like it. You fry yourself some eggs. You see what kind of a day it is."
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

I'm nervous about posting on this thread, as it's the one I was drafting a response to when my computer crashed... but I ain't superstitious (much)... :evil:

A gun showing use doesn't scare me off a purchase... in fact, I'm more likely to leave a pretty gun in the rack when there's one there I can't possibly won't harm any more. I like a pretty gun, or at least what my idea of pretty is!

And even a 20 year old customization can remain pretty if you take just the minimum care of it. And this one is constantly out of a case and back in. It's taken to EVERY cowboy shoot I go to... just in case there's a long range event... and accompanies me on every hunting trip as either a backup or my primary gun.

I've only got one gun, (a Winchester 94 B-Centennial) that remains unfired... but every once in a while I think about shooting even it.` But, it's crammed in the safe along with just about all the other guns. (Taken today, about 2 guns for every actual slot meant to hold one)!

IMO, there's nothing to fear from a pretty gun that an ugly one can't suffer!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Catshooter
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Catshooter »

Malamute,

Those are great pics of some great guns. I've used the one of your 29 as computer background for quite a while.

What caliber is the 94? What loads do you use for your grouse shooting?

Cat
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Griff wrote: Image
Griff, I know its off the subject a bit but what are you doing with a fireplace in the homestead? :D I always thought it was hot all year 'round down in Texas. BTW, nice wood on that '94 :D ---------Sixgun
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Old Savage wrote:I have both kinds and like them both for different reasons.
+1
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Sixgun wrote:Griff, I know its off the subject a bit but what are you doing with a fireplace in the homestead? :D I always thought it was hot all year 'round down in Texas. BTW, nice wood on that '94 :D ---------Sixgun
Compared to where I grew up in CA, it gets downright frigid in N. Texas! :twisted:
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!