New to me Savage 99DL in 308

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Noah Zark
Senior Levergunner

New to me Savage 99DL in 308

Post by Noah Zark »

This is one of the infamous "no such model" 99M-stamped 99s from the 1,000,000 s/n block, this DL is in 308 that I picked up late winter this year. Yep, one of the Savage equivalents of a "post-64 Winchester," this DL has a steel rotor and aluminum stock bolt. But "this is my rifle, there are many like it . . . "

When I examined the 99DL at the seller's table, the lever/bolt would jam partway open, then if closed and opened again once or twice the lever would completely drop and the bolt would fully retract under the upper tang. The seller asked $350 for it, "because there's a problem." Having hung out at a part-time 'smith's shop as a kid in the '60s dusting, sweeping, oiling, and being an extra pair of hands I recalled seeing the problem in a 99 before. We did the deal at $300.

Removing the stock proved the hypothesis -- the wooden tab inside the right stock "cheek" had split off and was now and then jamming the lever/bolt mechanism. The tab was pretty mangled so I cut a shallow channel in the inside of the cheek and inlaid with glue a new piece of Juglans Nigra to serve as the tab under the rear edge of the receiver. Good to go.

The best part about this 99DL is its accuracy. I've been able to chase 20 oz plastic soda bottles all over the 100 yd berm offhand with the open sights on a consistent basis. I'm not a fan of Monte Carlo pistol-gripped stocks, but the DL "fits me" and the results suggest that we work well together.

Noah
Might as well face it, you're addicted to guns . . .
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Re: ON TOPIC -- New to me Savage 99DL in 308

Post by J Miller »

Noah,

That is a very nice looking rifle. It's amazing just how well a gun shoots when it fits us. Kind of like my Marlin MR-7. It just fits.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
earlmck
Advanced Levergunner

Post by earlmck »

If it fits you it just has to be good. A Savage 99 in 308 is a nice find and you got a heck of a price on it. I have your Savage's twin brother here but I gave closer to $500 for it and didn't think that was bad. Good goin' there, Noah.
The greatest patriot...
is he who heals the most gullies.
Patrick Henry
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Congrats - a very good looking rifle.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Terry Murbach
Shootist

Post by Terry Murbach »

A NICE ONE !!! I HAVE ONE LIKE THAT, A BIT OLDER, THAT LOOKS THE SAME OTHER THAN IT HAS A 2-5X WEAVER SCOPE ON IT AND IS CHAMBERED IN 300SAVAGE. IT ALSO HAS A BEAUTIFUL BRASS MARBLES COMPASS INLETTED IN THE BUTTSTOCK AT THE REAR TOP. I TOO PAID 300 BUCKS FOR MINE FROM A FELLOW BACK EAST. THERE IS JUST SOMETHING ABOUT THE SAVAGE 99 RIFLES AND CARBINES THAT SET 'EM APART FORM ALL OTHER AMERICAN SPORTING FIREARMS. MAYBE THAT IS WHY THEY'RE THE FINEST RIFLE/CARBINES EVER MADE IN THE U.S.of A., YOU THINK ??
RIDE, SHOOT STRAIGHT, AND SPEAK THE TRUTH
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Well Terry, a few years ago I came across an almost pristine 1954 EG in 250 Savage - very accurate - that I traded a new Kimber rifle for. I am sure I got the better of the deal. Won the Kimber on a $20 card raffle at the local NRA banquet.

In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

bdhold

Post by bdhold »

on topic and pretty
Terry Murbach
Shootist

Post by Terry Murbach »

Old Savage wrote:Well Terry, a few years ago I came across an almost pristine 1954 EG in 250 Savage - very accurate - that I traded a new Kimber rifle for. I am sure I got the better of the deal. Won the Kimber on a $20 card raffle at the local NRA banquet.

WHATTA BEAUTY !!! YOU SKINNED 'EM GOOD THERE. I LOVE IT !!
I TOO HAVE A 250-3000 RIFLE JUST LIKE THAT BUT IT HAS REDFIELD RECEIVER APERTURE SIGHTS. MY M99 SRC 250-3000 STRAIGHT GRIP CARBINE CAME ALL-BUT-NEW BUT WITH SCOPE BLOCKS ALREADY MOUNTED. OH HOW I WISH THEY WERE THE OTHER WAY AROUND.
RIDE, SHOOT STRAIGHT, AND SPEAK THE TRUTH
Noah Zark
Senior Levergunner

Post by Noah Zark »

Old Savage wrote:I came across an almost pristine 1954 EG in 250 Savage - very accurate - that I traded a new Kimber rifle for. Won the Kimber on a $20 card raffle at the local NRA banquet.

Dat's nice right dere. Real nice.

Noah
Might as well face it, you're addicted to guns . . .
Hobie

Re: New to me Savage 99DL in 308

Post by Hobie »

Even the later 99A series guns are a cut above anything you can find today (and that includes the BLR :wink: :lol: ).
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Pisgah
Senior Levergunner

Post by Pisgah »

Hobie, I've got a 99a .308 twin to your two, right down to the sights --- or would that be "triplet"? Sweet, sweet rifles.
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Pisgah wrote:Hobie, I've got a 99a .308 twin to your two, right down to the sights --- or would that be "triplet"? Sweet, sweet rifles.
Yes, they are!
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Ben_Rumson
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ben_Rumson »

It’s a shame...Last year I picked up the 99 Saddle Gun in 250 Sav. off of GunBroker!!...I was thrilled to get one but paid close to a hunnert more than I knew I should have... But hey...they don't come along that often so I went for it... Upon inspection I found a bulge in the barrel :shock: about seven inches back from the muzzle ... I was very disappointed and sent it back...That would have been a really fun rifle :cry:
"IT IS MY OPINION, AND I AM CORRECT SO DON'T ARGUE, THE 99 SAVAGE IS THE FINEST RIFLE EVER MADE IN AMERICA."
WIL TERRY
LeverBob
Senior Levergunner

Post by LeverBob »

Drool, drool, drool....a 99. More droooooool. Gadzooks, I will find my 99. Congrats Pard on finding yours! :wink:

LB