messed up marlin

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
deadhorse
Levergunner

messed up marlin

Post by deadhorse »

Been a member for awhile but first post
just had to tell what I saw today at our local wholesale sports store
I was talking to my friend behind the gun counter. This young guy brings back his new marlin 336w mr serial #, gun won't lift cartridge up to chamber. My buddie asks me to look at it.
First thing I saw what appeared to be the barrel screwed in off center ridge stiking up above the receiver, then notce it wasn't the barrel but a shim between the barrel and receiver. it was sticking up above every thing. Then noticed two screws that wern't flush, they were tight but sicking up way high. pushed the safety almost past the inside edge of the receiver.
HOW COULD THIS HAVE GOT OUT OF THE FACTORY
Deadhorse
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Re: messed up marlin

Post by J Miller »

You said "new" Marlin. Is this one of the new ones made since Remington bought out Marlin? If so that's a sad example for sure. The Marlin made guns had a "JM" proof mark, the Remingtons have something else.

If it's brand new, I'd take it back for a refund and if that wasn't possible I'd send it back to the factory for repair or replacement.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

Boy that is a bad one, must of been a Friday Rem gun. MR ser. number is new Rem stuff :roll:
Because I Can, and Have
-------------------------------------------------------------
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Disclaimer, not responsible for anyone copying or building anything i make.
Always consult an expert first.
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

deadhorse wrote:Been a member for awhile but first post
just had to tell what I saw today at our local wholesale sports store
I was talking to my friend behind the gun counter. This young guy brings back his new marlin 336w mr serial #, gun won't lift cartridge up to chamber. My buddie asks me to look at it.
First thing I saw what appeared to be the barrel screwed in off center ridge stiking up above the receiver, then notce it wasn't the barrel but a shim between the barrel and receiver. it was sticking up above every thing. Then noticed two screws that wern't flush, they were tight but sicking up way high. pushed the safety almost past the inside edge of the receiver.
HOW COULD THIS HAVE GOT OUT OF THE FACTORY
Deadhorse

Money back time!
Go get a nice older Marlin/Winchester made in the 70's/80's or otherwise go buy a new Browning :?:
damienph
Senior Levergunner

Post by damienph »

I really don't understand why this is happening. A friend of mine recently bought a new Remington 700 CDL. It is absolutely beautiful. It only stands to reason that the Remington built Marlins would have just as good quality control.

Why buy a quality brand/product just to let it go to the dogs?!
jdad
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jdad »

damienph wrote:I really don't understand why this is happening. A friend of mine recently bought a new Remington 700 CDL. It is absolutely beautiful. It only stands to reason that the Remington built Marlins would have just as good quality control.

Remington knows how to build a bolt gun, but not a lever gun.
I know a whole lot about very little and nothing about a whole lot.
damienph
Senior Levergunner

Post by damienph »

jdad wrote:
damienph wrote:I really don't understand why this is happening. A friend of mine recently bought a new Remington 700 CDL. It is absolutely beautiful. It only stands to reason that the Remington built Marlins would have just as good quality control.

Remington knows how to build a bolt gun, but not a lever gun.

Apparently so.
pwl44m
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pwl44m »

U want a Marlin ? U won't when We get through with the Name. I better hang on to My 80s vintage 1894s (44 & 357). Sabotage Ya think,just seems like too many to be random lack of QC
Perry in Bangor----++++===Calif
Dave
Senior Levergunner

Post by Dave »

That is really sad. I guess it is time to pick up any good Marlin that comes along. My pawn shop buddy has two good ones right now. I told him I'd buy the better one this month. I'm glad I did.
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

My understanding is that when the Marlin plant was moved NONE of the assemblers moved with it. SO, they are training new assembly people and the trainers need training. Add to that the teething problems of any new plant and you're going to see a lot of, well, you know.... :roll:
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
pwl44m
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pwl44m »

Hobie wrote:My understanding is that when the Marlin plant was moved NONE of the assemblers moved with it. SO, they are training new assembly people and the trainers need training. Add to that the teething problems of any new plant and you're going to see a lot of, well, you know.... :roll:
Thx Hobie, that helps to understand a little. I wasn't up to speed on how the operation went. But still ! Never Mind lol :arrow:
Perry in Bangor----++++===Calif
Bruce
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Bruce »

Our local gun shop has had two 336's come in recently where the barrels were installed cross threaded and off center. Check the chambers on the new ones also, some are very rough and will require polishing.
http://www.pumprifle.org/
Bruce Hamlin's Pump Rifle Forum
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

Didn't someone want to know WHY Rossi were making the Rio Grande ????

Now you know! :wink:
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
lthardman
Levergunner 2.0

Post by lthardman »

This is certainly not good news. I need a Marlin for the collection, guess I need to check the classifieds first. Passed on a good one a while back, wish I hadn't.
"Now it cuts like a knife, but it feels so right." - Bryan Adams
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

I think I'm going to check out the local toy stores and see if they have any of the new Marlingtons. If so I'll check it out.
It makes no sense to me that Remington or their owners would buy out a successful profitable company, and then destroy the product.

Hopefully it's only growing pains. But with the way things are going, I'm not so sure.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***