what gun you wish

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
greyowl
Levergunner

Re: what gun you wish

Post by greyowl »

38-55, Marlin 336 CB. Very good condition. Williams receiver sight on it. $525. I hummed and hawed for three weeks last winter, then finally got serious, went to the shop, you guessed it, GONE. That straight grip and 24" barrel felt good. I'm currently making the same mistake probably on a 450 Marlin 1895M. Good condition, ported, Leopold scope in scout configuration,$679. Will I ever learn?
Shooting is the national passtime/ walk softly and carry a big stick
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

Boy,a Ithaca Double 10ga Full/full (Lewis Model)for $595 :o
http://www.gunsamerica.com/904322247/Gu ... _MODEL.htm That might be one!!!!!
Bucks Owin
Levergunner

Post by Bucks Owin »

Man, I've owned a lot of Winchesters over the years that I wish I had back, pre-64 M70s mainly. But also Models 88 and 100 in .284 and a few M-12 shotguns. I should have talked my dad into keeping a M-95 in .405 years ago too. Most recently I let a 10" Ruger .44 Flattop slip away (The "author" of my avatar).... :cry:
Roland
Levergunner 2.0

Re: OUCH

Post by Roland »

There was this wonderful Sako M92s in the local store a few years ago. Unfortunately it was quite expensive, 1500+ euros but they aren't made anymore and prices only go up.

It's gone now ofcourse and I am in the process of saving up money to buy a Sako while I still can, I shoulda gotten it back then.
DBW
Senior Levergunner

Post by DBW »

.50 BMG for shooting JBT critters in the near future.
"Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati"
prebans
Levergunner

Re:

Post by prebans »

To the guys who passed up or sold off NFA (machine guns), OUCH. :| But Southern Man, that Barrett story made me quiver a little...

-----

You know, two important things stick out to me in this thread:

1. Never leave firearms unattended in a vehicle;
2. Don't sell firearms for anything involving women.

Mike
bearhunter
Levergunner

Post by bearhunter »

It was my first gun show. There, over on the rack to my left, there was a Savage 99 22 Hi Power. IN 100% CONDITION!!!! I'm so mad now that I didn't buy that.
oldCop
Levergunner

Post by oldCop »

Always wanted a Winchester Pre-64 Model 70 in .257 Roberts and a Model 71. Finally got the 71 a couple of weeks ago. Found a nice original (buttplate intact-no ugly recoil pad) at Cabela's in Ft Worth...I may also find that Model 70 one of these days for less than the arm and a leg some folks think they are worth. :)
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Travis Morgan wrote:What a sad story... at least there's a happy ending. No matter whether I replace hem or not, I always miss a gun I gave up. I guess I'm in a committed relationship with every gun I own!
:lol: Me too. I can't sell 'em unless the kids are near starvation and then I miss 'em something terrible! :lol: (no, not so much the kids... :lol: :wink: )
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

The Griffin & Howe I just bought. Was #1 on my desire list. Never thought I would pay the bucks for one or find one in the condition I desired.
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

OH and Paco, the store was Winfree's on route 17 near Yorktown.
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
Centaur 1
Levergunner

Post by Centaur 1 »

It was a Ruger Mini-14 in stainless steel. The gun belonged to my dad, I loved that gun. It had a black composite folding stock. My dad decided that he didn't want it anymore and he never thought to ask me or my brother if we wanted it. He sold it to a co-worker for $275 so that he could buy paneling for the family room. To add insult to injury he had my brother and I do all the paneling. This happened in 1986 and I still give him a hard time about not selling it to me. :cry:
Marlin 336SS in .30-30win.
Bushnell Elite 3200 2-7x32mm
Millett Angle-Loc Detachable Rings
model55
Levergunner 3.0

Post by model55 »

There used to be a gun store out on a farm around here when the big flood of swedish mausers came into the US.The old man had two wine barrels full of them, 50.00$ a piece-no paperwork should have bought one every pay check-that and the Israeli Fal.......
rafter-7
Levergunner 2.0

Post by rafter-7 »

About 10 years back Glen Hockett out of Montana had a...

1886 in 33WCF with 11 special order features pistol grip deluxe light engraving and the big one IVORY diamonds were inletted in to the stock... I looked at Glen and said this thing cant letter??? He then reached under the table and pulled the factory letter out// not a Madis one either the real thing! asking price was $3000.00
I had the money at the time and I did not buy that one I bought a 1886 45/70 light weight instead. Very stupid on my part

6 months later I heard that gun sold in California for big bucks... well into the five figures

I learned my lesson that day!

^
Lawyer Daggit
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Lawyer Daggit »

Winchester 71( or clone) in 375 JDJ.
Kansas Ed
Senior Levergunner

Post by Kansas Ed »

Some years ago, my new wife and I were planning on moving to WY. Knowing my arsenal was scant for any "bear encounter rifles" I went to John Wall's gunshop in Blairstown Mo. John used to have the largest gunshop in the US, and purportedly brought in Remington and Winchester by the train car load. I don't doubt it, as he owned most of the old storefront buildings downtown and used them as gun and ammo warehouses...My first choice was the "new" Browning 1886...but he said they couldn't be ordered . So my second choice was the 1894 BB in 356...but he didn't have one...so 307....nope...but he did have a used .375 Winchester BB in the rack. I paid $225 for that one. But as I was looking at it there was a beat up Henry on the rack beside it. I think he wanted about $800 for it. It wasn't modified from my recollection, just beat up and worn. I asked the guy if a person could even buy ammo for them...to which he answered "no" and I put it down and bought the BB....yea...I guess that was a big mistake...

Ed
kbak303
Levergunner

Post by kbak303 »

my grandfather's Weatherby's and Marlins when he passed away 10 years ago

Grandmother wanted them all sold for the $$$ and I didn't have the cash to give her. All his guns got sold off, Mark V Germany, over and under, .444...all he shot were Weatherby's and Marlins

didn't have the cash and she wanted the money right then. sold them quick
brno602
Levergunner 2.0

Post by brno602 »

When I was 17 years old I let a Win 95 in .303 British go, the guy selling it was asking $200.00 for it and in a way and still do I thought it was a ugly gun. Had it been a 86 in any cal I would have bought it. But I thought it's cool but ugly I still feel that way about the 95's a friend has one in 7.62x 54 Russian bet he could get at least $1300.00 for the gun in 70% condition.
EA Cable
Levergunner

Post by EA Cable »

Winchester Model 94 pre-64 in pristine condition I was about 15 years old and decided I didn't have the funds at the time. Big Mistake. Another Winchester Model 94 one was a Trapper model, the other was a regular Model 94, both were post-64. Each one was selling for between $350 and $400, again I was a little strapped for funds, but could have bought at least one. Two months later, Winchester's New Haven plant closes its doors and those two carbines went up to about $750 apiece. It made me feel sick.
Cable
"The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that's good" George Washington
Shooter7

Post by Shooter7 »

Back in 1983 I bought a Colt Trooper Mark III in .357. I paid $150 from a co-worker who needed cash and this was all she had to sell (divorce), it had never been fired. 5 years later the Big "D" visited me and in all the comotion I lost that revolver.

On the positive side I have never lost a rifle....knock wood.
stanforth
Levergunner 1.0

Post by stanforth »

I am from the UK and I lost a lot of guns when our laws changed in 1998.

Colt SAA First generation (1881) in .45 LC
2x Colt Bisley's in .45LC
Colt .22 newline
S&W number 1 first model
S&W number 1 second model
S&W number 1 third issue

They were personal guns. I also lost a lot of stock weapons.
greyowl
Levergunner

Post by greyowl »

Winchester 94 Legacy in 30-30. I know it's not anything overly special, but I shot it well and it was accurate. I liked it's long sleek profile too. I'd like to be able to try it with the LE ammo. Oh well, sometimes you eat the bear, sometimes it eats you.
Shooting is the national passtime/ walk softly and carry a big stick
Lawyer Daggit
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Lawyer Daggit »

I was in Smith's gun shop in Sydney about 20 years ago, there was a nice looking double rifle on the shelf made by Mekel. I picked it up. The calibre reference on the barrel was one I did not know so I put the gun down.

Condition and price were right, but I did not want to buy a pig in a poke that I could not get ammo for. On researching it that night I realised the calibre was a metric reference for the 30-30. I raced into the gun shop the following morning but it had gone.

A nice light double rifle in 30-30 would be just what the doctor ordered for chasing pigs in 'the thick stuff' that they so love.
Rus Ler
Levergunner

Post by Rus Ler »

Mine was a S&W Mod. 60, Stainless with a 2"bbl and Pachmayer Grip we used to shoot 25mt Service match until the "Guvment" deemed them to be illegal along with 45 cal Semi Autos. Had to hand it in (they were only concerned with registered guns), so my Son and I took up Cowboy Shooting and bought 12 guns to compensate :twisted: . Way to go to get registered guns out of the community :mrgreen: .
Cheers,
Rus Ler
The difference between Men and Boys is the price of their toys.
She who must be obeyed 2004
pablom
Levergunner

Post by pablom »

I got a good one, no B/S either. 6-7 years ago in Milwaukee walking in the gun show talking to the man in front of me. He had a nice used but not beat 1911 colt pre war model. He said I want $300.00. He said as soon as we get checked in the door I could buy it no dickering. I was happy with the Great Deal!!The moment later the fat arrogant guy at the check in table asked him if he was selling. He said the guy behind me in line was buying it. You probably know where this is going..... The fat dude says nope I got it in hand and heres the $300.00 and gave me a F - U look. I was horified. I never exected such a shister move and would never dream of doing it to anyone else. True but lesson learned. Sometime nice guys really dont finnish first.
choctaw
Levergunner

Post by choctaw »

When I first got married, our money was extremely tight. We had just moved and my wife didn't have job, and mine covered the bills with little leftover. It was Christmastime and we didn't have enough money for a glass of eggnog, much less a dinner and presents. So, I sold my Winchester Trapper 30-30 that I had gotten one Christmas as a teenager, as well as a Winchester 9422 that my dad had given me when I was a boy. Although I am glad I was able to provide a good Christmas for us, my wife will never know how much it actually cost me.
Roland
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Roland »

Don't you wish this gun was real? (it's a photoshop) :P

handirifle
Senior Levergunner

Post by handirifle »

I had the chance once, to pick most any gun I wanted, I won't say what I chose :( , but I WISH I had chosen a Shiloh Sharps, in 45-70. Maybe someday.
Baja_Traveler
Levergunner

Post by Baja_Traveler »

I'll be the third person in this thread who regrets the loss of their Colt Python. A beautiful 6" blued work of art I sold to my bunkmate in the Coast Guard with the intention of replacing it with the (then) new stainless model. Never did buy the replacement, and I'm still kicking myself for it.
rodeo kid
Levergunner 3.0

Post by rodeo kid »

Back in 1972, when I had only been a Deputy for six months, a female Jailor was quiting to get married and move out of state. She had a Colt Viper that was 9 months old and had only been fired once to qualify. She offered to sell it to me for $100. I wanted it but could not come up with the cash before she left. That sounds crazy today when we think nothing of forking over $1000-$1200 routinely for a firearm. But back then we made $625 a month before taxes. How times have changed. God Bless. :roll: :roll:
Member : NRA
Oklahoma Rifle Assoc.
NPPAS

TRUISM: if guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns. So, my advice is: Buy more guns!
ollogger
Advanced Levergunner

Post by ollogger »

this is my bigger mistakes that i let go
all 99s
22-250
250-3000
list could go on, but there aint nuff room
ollogger
Crazy Horse
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Crazy Horse »

A like new Beretta 687 O/U 12 ga that someone traded in at my local gunshop. It was in the box with eveything and absolutly beautiful. I could have got it for $999.. I had 2 guns on lay-a-way at the time so I called a friend and he bought it. darn I wish I would have bought that gun!

I passed on a LAR Grizzly 45 mag. once and have always wished I had bought it.

I found a like new 25th aniv. ruger 44 mag carbine at a gunshow a few years ago for $ 425 but didn't have the money that day. :.(