"Interesting" From 1907 (pics)

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
cshold
Advanced Levergunner

"Interesting" From 1907 (pics)

Post by cshold »

San Antonio, Texas, Sept. 19 1907. Gun Editor "Sporting Life." All records for rifle shooting at wing targets were broken yesterday when A. D. Topperwein, of the Winchester Rep. Arms Co., broke 5,750 targets without a miss. Mr. Topperwein had to stop after making the above score because powder from the cartridges had lodged in his eye. He continued his remarkable run of rifle shooting at flying targets today and passed the 7,000 mark without a miss. The target used was a 2 & 1/2 inch wooden block. San Antonio, Tex., Sept. 21. Gun Editor "Sporting Life." Adolph Topperwein, the Winchester expert, just finished one of the most remarkable feats in marksmanship in the history of rifle shooting by breaking 19,990 out of 20,000 flying targets with a straight run of 8840 and another run of 4991 straight without a miss. San Antonio, Tex., Dec. 29 1907. Gun Editor "Sporting Life:" The most remarkable shooting exhibition ever recorded with fire arms was concluded here today, when A. Topperwein completed a ten days' shooting, series, during which time he shot at 72,500 targets and missed only nine.

In 1907 Mrs. Topperwein shot at 8080 targets breaking 91%.

Aussie Chris
Levergunner 2.0

Re: "Interesting" From 1907 (pics)

Post by Aussie Chris »

I remember seeing the pic of him sitting on top of thousands of these blocks. I thought it's gotta be fake it is just that unbelievable

http://gunsandrovers.yuku.com/topic/602 ... opperweins

Chris
A man can never have too many WINCHESTERS...
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

Unbelieveable. I can't imagine the concentration and talent it took to do those feats. But, if it's your job, it's your job.
Old Law Dawg
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Wasn't there someone called "Chief A.J." who did a similar feat, or was that the same guy...?
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Barcelona Rick
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Barcelona Rick »

If y'all ever get to SA check out the Lone Star Brewery.....the Hall of Horns and Hall of Fins is great. There is a neat room with all sorts of targets, photos etc...

rick
MrMurphy
Senior Levergunner

Post by MrMurphy »

In Waco, I believe it was at the skeet range there, is a trick target shot by Mr. Toepperwein (which a couple local streets and things are named after as well) where he shot his name in a sheet of metal IIRC.
kaschi
Levergunner 3.0

Post by kaschi »

Amazing! In today's world, the men in white uniforms would pick him and take him in for a mental evaluation.....
GonnePhishin
Senior Levergunner

Post by GonnePhishin »

Doc, Chief AJ is a gentleman who teaches how to "instinct shoot" using bb guns, plus has some other interesting stuff on his website. I think he does hold some sort of record using the bb gun, but can't remember what he shot at.
"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it." - Thomas Jefferson

"I know not what course other men may take, but as for me, Give me Liberty or Give me Death!" - Patrick Henry
soon 2 retire
Levergunner 2.0

Post by soon 2 retire »

Here's something I remember from an old Remington Nylon 66 ad. I found it on an NRA site.

In 1959, Tom Frye, a field representative for Remington, set out to surpass Ad Topperwein's world record (set in 1907) of shooting 72,500 2 1/2-inch wooden blocks as they were tossed into the air while missing only nine. Frye used three Nylon 66 rifles and maintained an average pace of 1,000 shots per hour (one shot every four seconds) for 13 consecutive eight-hour days. When the smoke cleared, he had shot at 100,010 blocks and hit 100,004, missing only six! The rifles were cleaned only five times during the Marathon trial.

Bob in NE Indiana
Don't look back something might be gaining on you.
-Leroy "Satchel" Paige
JHarold
Levergunner 2.0

Post by JHarold »

jumbeaux wrote:If y'all ever get to SA check out the Lone Star Brewery.....the Hall of Horns and Hall of Fins is great. There is a neat room with all sorts of targets, photos etc...

rick
I thought the Lone Star Brewery was closed?? I was there in 1998 it was very interesting. Long Necks and Catfish, 2 of my favorite things.