Maximum COAL for rossi 1892 44mag?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Roland
Levergunner 2.0

Maximum COAL for rossi 1892 44mag?

Post by Roland »

I am going to start casting soon, for my first mold I got a 4-cavity mold from NOE via a castboolits group buy, it's a 429241 style bullet, 245gr Keith SWC in other words.

Now I fed the specs of the bullets to Quickload and after setting it up I see I am getting a very long COAL, 1.648" or so. Will this be a problem in my 1892? I have some purchased 267 grainers that give a COAL of 1.68" and they will not feed in the '92. Is ~1.65" too much for the '92 action?

If so, anything I can do to tune the action to feed SWCs like this, I would like to make this bullet the mainstay of all my 44mag reloading.
Chas.
Levergunner 3.0

Re: Maximum COAL for rossi 1892 44mag?

Post by Chas. »

Even if 1.65 will feed in my Rossi, it may not feed in yours. I'd suggest loading a few to the length you need and try them.
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

It will vary slightly from one gun to the next but can be adjusted. You have to load for YOUR gun. If what you want to do with the cartridge won't work with your gun, you will have to change the gun. :wink:
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
mikld
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mikld »

The 429421 will not feed in my Puma when seated to the crimp groove. I haven't done any experimenting on seating depth because I found Ranchdog's 265 gr. RFN bullet that feeds perferctly and drops out of the mold at .432" (Puma bore is .431" to .432").
Mike
Vocatus atque non vocatus, Deus aderit...
I've learned how to stand on my own two knees...
Lefty Dude
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lefty Dude »

In my Rossi 92/44 I load my 240 gr. SWC's to 1.60". I have a 44-40 that will go, 1.625 and function-feed properly.
SASS# 51223
Arizona Cowboy Shooter's Assoc.
Cowtown Cowboy Shooter's Assoc.

Uberti 73/44-40 carbine, Rossi 92/44-40,
Marlin 94CB/44 24" Limited, Winchester 94/30-30
Roland
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Roland »

If it does not load, what do you do to get it to accept longer rounds? Replace part X or file this or that?

EDIT: Tried loading to 1.65 with another type of bullet and it feeds that, I guess 1.68 was just really a tiny tiny bit over its limits then.
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

I believe you have to change the cartridge guides. Write Steve at stevesgunz.com and ask.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

I had a Rossi 92 in .45Colt for a while. When it had to go to the gunsmith I had him adjust the action to work with full length Keith SWCS seated to and crimped in the crimp grove.
He shimmed the cartridge guides to improve feeding and I believe he filed the back of the carrier to allow for the longer over all length. BUT I'm not positive about that or how much he might have removed, so I can only recommend engaging the services of a gunsmith familiar with the 92 design. Steve Young is an excellent choice.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Roland wrote:Now I fed the specs of the bullets to Quickload and after setting it up I see I am getting a very long COAL, 1.648" or so.
I'm not familiar with Quickload, so I'll ask a dumb question - is the COAL of 1.648" a suggestion the software makes to optimize case volume for a given powder charge, or is it simply a matter of where the crimp-groove is for those bullets?

If you get a Lee factory-crimp die in .44-40, and file off the base just a few thousandth's, you can get the 4-prong type "rifle" crimp, which will pretty much hold any bullet anywhere, regardless of where the 'crimp groove' is. Unless that would have you seating unusually far into the case (which I doubt since the weight of the bullet isn't all that heavy for the caliber), I don't think I'd anticipate a problem.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Roland
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Roland »

Well for Quickload I fed it the length of the bullet, the seating depth required to crimp at the crimp groove, the length of my cases too as they seem to be slightly shorter than QL assumes(1.255" instead of 1.275"). That was 1.648" and I think this is correct to within a .003" variance.