Model 71 Winchester Values

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Jarhead
Levergunner 3.0

Model 71 Winchester Values

Post by Jarhead »

Is it just me or have Model 71's doubled in value in the last 10 years? I've noticed a few for sale on gunbrokers.com bringing some pretty good money. Also, saw a 1937 carbine for sale in Cabelas Gun room for $7000...wow!
A nice clean Deluxe 24in barrel rifle is now selling for $3000 vs. $1500 ten years ago. I own a 1938 Deluxe Carbine with bolt peep sight that I bought for $2000 back in 2000. A good investment indeed :shock:
Last edited by Jarhead on Tue Feb 12, 2008 6:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Jarhead,
You are just a spring chicken. :D I remember when pre-war deluxes that were like new in the box selling for $400. This was in the early seventies. A real decent one could be had for $200.

Is what happened is that the 1886's got out of the reach of most regular working folk and those folk turned to the next best thing, the Model 71. The demand has pushed the price of 71's skyward and now people are turning to what is in still decent supply and fair on price, the Model 64.

As a teenager in the late sixties, I remember British Brown Bess's going for $300. Can not touch a decent one for less than 5 g's today.

Quality guns with "condition" and rarity have always been an excellent investment, rising faster than any 401K plan. You have done good on your 71 carbine. Don't let it go to your head and sell it as that carbine will be worth 10 G's in a few more years, and 15 G's in about 10 years. And when you do sell it, always demand ccccaaaaaaaaasssshhhh---its untaxable :wink: ---------------------Sixgun

Here's my pride and joy Model 71. Its a like new 3 digit#
Image,

Yes, It’s Mighty, No Need To Prove It…..
Jarhead
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Jarhead »

That's a mighty fine Carbine you've got there. Mine is like new as well and don't worry, I won't sell it. I too was a teenager in the 60's when a Vincent Black Shadow (British Motorcycle) went for about $5000....now you can't touch one for under $80,000 if you're lucky.

I own three Model 71's....we hunt Elk with ours in Eastern Oregon.

Have you killed an Elk with yours yet? :D
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

Jarhead,
I thought you were a spring chicken. We are just about the same age! :D (53) No, I never did take an elk with it, but I did kill two wild dogs that were chasing a little doe back in the eighties. Wasn't much left of those dogs.
I've killed elk with 1886's, one in .33 wcf and the other in 45-70 during the Colorado season. I take it you have. (with the 348) What bullet do you use?-------------Sixgun
Jarhead
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Jarhead »

We are the same age '53 :wink: I use the 250gr Silvertip. I picked up some very mint 250gr. Silvertips a few years back. I have some "Bear Boxes" and some very mint 250gr Silvertip that are not "Bear Boxes." I love the Model '71 but also love my Dad's old 1956 Pre 64 Model 70 '06. I lived in and hunted Alaska for 11 years. The Model 71 is still fairly plentiful up in that country. I have seen a few on Gunbrokers.com as well.
Last edited by Jarhead on Tue Feb 12, 2008 6:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jarhead
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Jarhead »

Six Gun,

Also, Have a 1895GS 45-70/457 Wild West Mag. Pushes a 45cal 350gr bullet at 2200fps. It's loaded with an Alaska Bonded bullet....Buffalo Bore loads the 348 with a 250gr. Alaska Bonded Bullet at 2150FPS, yet I have never bought or used any yet. I have killed deer with my 457 WW mag and found that it does less meat damage than a .243, .308, etc. I love it! :)
Last edited by Jarhead on Tue Feb 12, 2008 11:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
big bear
Levergunner 2.0

Post by big bear »

I would love to see pics of your carbines, I have only seen one pic of a 71 carbine in an old Rifle magazine. Thanks. I only have a 95% last year of production DeLuxe 71 and a beater for hunting with.
pharmseller
Senior Levergunner

Post by pharmseller »

Recall the Rule of 72:
Divide 72 by the interest rate your money is earning. The result tells you how often, in years, your money doubles.
A $1500 investment that is worth $3000 in ten years is approximately a 7.2% interest rate. Darned good for a risk-free rate of return, but nothing to crow about.
Let's look at the Winchester 1894 your grandpa bought new in 1920 for $20 (how close am I?). Long term the total market returns around 8.5%. 72/8.5= 8.5 (rounded up but not much) so that $20 doubles every 8.5 years. 1920 to now is 88 years, divided by 8.5 = 10 (rounded down but not much) doublings. My math gives $23,680.
Let's say I was off in the purchase price by $10. The original $10 would be worth close to $12,000 today.
I too am surprised by how much these wonderful tools can bring but to me they're not very good investments.
We are determined that before the sun sets on this terrible struggle, our flag will be recognized throughout the world as a symbol of freedom on the one hand, of overwhelming power on the other.

General George C. Marshall, 1942
big bear
Levergunner 2.0

Post by big bear »

That makes me feel better, I'm going to go shoot my 71 this weekend! To heck with investment value! :D
Jarhead
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Jarhead »

big bear wrote:That makes me feel better, I'm going to go shoot my 71 this weekend! To heck with investment value! :D
I hunt with mine all the time. I haven't taken any pics of any of my Firearms, but perhaps I will and post them.
Jarhead
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Jarhead »

pharmseller wrote:Recall the Rule of 72:
I too am surprised by how much these wonderful tools can bring but to me they're not very good investments.
I quess it depends on what type of investment you are making. I hunt with all my firearms and enjoy having them around. I would rather invest my time in the woods than invest my money, yet of course that is also important. I feel I get more out of it. I retired from a corporate career in 2005(collecting my pension and medical) and everyday that I'm away from it is worth a million dollors a day. I own 28.4 acres that boarders the Strawberry Mountain Wilderness area. It has been in my family for over 40 years. Now that was a smart investment on my Dad's behalf. I have 70,000 acres of wilderness in my back yard and carry what ever I feel like to include my Model 71s, Belgium BLRs, my Dad's Pre-64 06...etc. My daughters will continue to enjoy it long after I am gone. Hopefully I will have a grandson someday to pass my firearms and Big Game Trophies to :wink: Thanks Dad!!

You can't make more time, but you can always make more money....

A $2000 Carbine Purchased in 2000...7.5 years later it's worth $7000..That's a $5000 appreciation....not too bad, but who cares....it's not about the money, it's about enjoying the firearm and hunting with same. All the better if it goes up in value!
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

Jarhead,
You and I think alike. Nothing is as important as time and how you spend it. Being in the wilderness like you are is pure happiness and is comforting knowing there are not any liberals or system suckers in your backyard.

As for the numerical system in figuring out the value of fine Winchesters, we all know it did not make any sense while the guns were being made. Its when they STOP making them the value goes up. Then factor in the supply and demand. Model 71's have been going up 10-15% a year. .1886's are jumping 20% or more. And while some may argue the point of comparing nice guns with value, well, like you said, You can enjoy the guns and watch 'em climb $$ wise at the same time. What are going to do with a stack of hundred dollar bills, take 'em for a walk?-----------------Sixgun
Jarhead
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Jarhead »

[quote="Sixgun"]Jarhead,
You are just a spring chicken.

Sixgun,

I was born in Sept 1953 and am 54 heading towards 55...All in fun, maybe you're the spring chicken :P

Looks like we do think alike. I don't :x like liberals! They should have a hunting season on em' 8) :?:
OhhRA!