410 Loads with 3 Buckshot Balls

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Pop Watts
Levergunner 2.0

410 Loads with 3 Buckshot Balls

Post by Pop Watts »

Hi Everyone,

I am sure that I read a comment on a post that at least one of you guys is loading 3 Buckshot Balls into a 410 case.

I am going to pick up an M6 Springfield tomorrow and I would like to try out a home grown buckshot load in it eventually.

Anyone else remember this??

Thanks,

Pop.
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Re: 410 Loads with 3 Buckshot Balls

Post by gamekeeper »

I have seen 2 1/2" .410 shells with 3 #OOO and 3" .410 shells with 5 #OOO.
Winchester & Remington both sell buck shot loads in .410.
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

Pop, if you look on graybeard's outdoor forum in the H&R shotgun section there is some information there as well as in the GB shotshell loading section. If I ever get around to it I'm going to try some of those in some brass cases.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

How about a duplex load with a combination of 000 buck and # 4 buckshot? I'm going to try something like this in the ol' blunderbuss here soon. :D
Stan in SC
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Stan in SC »

A guy gave me a sample five pack of 12 Gauge Tri Ball loads from Dixie Slug Company.I haven't tried them yet but they sure look dangerous when you look at the company's website.The concept of multiple large shot seems to me to be a very good one in any shotgun gauge.
I have shot some of the .410 buckshot loads at a 25 yard target and they grouped all three balls pretty close.

Stan in SC
The more I listen,the more I hear....and vice versa.

45-70,it's almost a religion
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

I got an e-mail from Natchez Shooters supply the have S&B .410 on sale right now.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
rimrock
Levergunner 2.0

Post by rimrock »

Nothing new about the concept. Google "garrison load" and you'll see the U.S. Calvery used them in 45/70 around the stockade.

Within the last few months Mike Venturino wrote about multi ball loads in either American Handgunner or Guns. IIRC, 3 balls printed in a triangle for .45C.

rimrock
kemosabi45
Levergunner 1.0

Post by kemosabi45 »

Check out this youtube, this guy has a bunch of stuff that may interest others here.
This is the one about the Judge 410 loads.

http://www.youtube.com/user/hickok45#p/u/9/VRvCC8ugCAw

Marlin guide gun video.

http://www.youtube.com/user/hickok45#p/u/9/VRvCC8ugCAw
Catshooter
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Catshooter »

My brother's bear rifle is a 20 gauge NEF. Load is three .641 ball over a charge of Blue Dot. Runs about 1000 fps, each ball weighs 392 grains, so his payload is 2.7 ounces per shot. Mag-Tec all brass shells. They print an inch and a half triangle at 25 yards.

Mind you, this is really a rifle. Heavy rifled barrel, no choke. The load isn't max by a long ways. With a different powder I think we could get to at least 1600 - 1700 feet. But we stopped at 1000 as he likes it.

I've also tried the Mag-Tec 410 in the American Derringer. Recoil is the limiter here. I was using (at first) four .437 balls, 115 grains each. Four was too much of a good thing though, recoil was too much for me. Three at about 800 feet is workable though.

Cat
Gobblerforge
Senior Levergunner

Post by Gobblerforge »

There is a lot of recoil when you start pushing 2+ ounces from a gun. I once shot a turkey with a double barrel muzzle loader. My finger slipped of the first trigger to the second as the first barrel went off. Pushed two loads of 2 oz. at the same time. Needless to say, I went back a little and the turkey went down.
Gobbler
Click Click Boom
Catshooter
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Catshooter »

That can be a true statement. My brother's rifle has a very heavy barrel, with a .626 bore the outside muzzle diameter is over an inch. Then he filled the buttstock bolt hole with lead shot, so the rifle weighs in at about twelve pounds. Too heavy for me, but he likes it.

It seems to kick about as much as my 94 in .38-55. But of course the recoil velocity is much lower on his than mine, 1000 vs. 1750 is quite a difference and you can feel it at the shoulder.

Cat