Years ago, I owned a Rossi/Puma .357 magnum kever rifle, and

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
dogngun
Levergunner 1.0

Years ago, I owned a Rossi/Puma .357 magnum kever rifle, and

Post by dogngun »

went and traded it on something else. I am thinking about buying a new one for my birthday late this summer. Are they still as good as the older ones?

FWIW, I have owned several other Rossi guns-including my current carry revolver, a Rossi 462, and I like them a lot and they have been trouble free.

Thanks for any opinions.

mark
The GOP/teabag party - Anti American AND stupid.
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Re: Years ago, I owned a Rossi/Puma .357 magnum kever rifle, and

Post by Old Savage »

They are better and if you treat yourself to one of Stevz gunz I think you will really be there. Quality of function and fit and finish vary one the new ones that I have seen over about a dozen examples with about 1/4 what I would want. The one I got is as good and in at least one way better than my B92.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

dogngun wrote:Years ago...
can cover a pretty good span. But, as someone I trust to know what they're talking about sez, "...in fact, in spite of the bolt safety, the new Rossi's are probably BETTER than the older ones." I understand that Rossi has re-tooled, that and with the most experience of anyone making a mdl 92, they have a much better product.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Mine has the safety, I know it is popular to eschew it but I like it.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Old Savage wrote:Mine has the safety, I know it is popular to eschew it but I like it.
Wow. I like the Marlin one ok, but find the Rossi ones don't stay put in the 'on' or 'off' position. If they did, I could maybe tolerate them.

Overall, I guess I mostly use guns as tools vs. art-objects (although I wholeheartedly agree that they can be both, have been both, and perhaps should still be both), so I'm not that picky about fit and finish (which have been actually 'average' for my recent-manufacture Rossi's), but just function (which has been flawless for me with them - YMMV).
Last edited by AJMD429 on Tue Apr 19, 2011 8:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

A little searching and you can come up with an older one. If so desired.
I picked up an early Interarms .357 at a local show new in the box for $250.

They're out there. Just have to look.

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
gak
Senior Levergunner

Post by gak »

I'm one of those that have had pretty good luck with the old ones--as in '78-'90 or so--anyway - Interarms before they cheapened them with the black mystery stain and got rid of the saddle rings. And then had no use for the LSIs that followed, as the bringers of the safety. EMF thankfully provided an alternative, thanks in large part to Steve (NKJ), with no safety and better sights, seemingly nicer wood or at least finish, and brought back the traditional saddle ring - which I like. As far as I can tell, after LSI left the Rossi scene, the subsequent Rossi/Braztech-Taurus offerings are virtually identical to them, which I understand if fine - for the most part.

Since the safety can be "dealt" with, if it truly bugs, if I lost all my older Rossis and "had" to, I wouldn't kick 'n scream too much if I got a newer one.
EMF eventually succumbed to the safety also - in 2006 - but all of mine are "pre" as well as early-to-mid Interarms. Happy camper -- except for the dumb non-standard dovetail sights on the older ones, which someday I'll hit Steve up for one of his fixes - as Marbles no longer makes a buckhorn type for.
dogngun
Levergunner 1.0

Post by dogngun »

The one I had was an old Puma with a big lever, which I was not crazy about and it was used when I bought it about 10 years ago...but it functioned just fine with .38's as well as magnums, and it was a good, handy size and an accurate rifle...I'm already saving and will probably start shopping in a month or so.
FWIW, the "new" Rossi 462 revolver I have now is first rate.

Thanks.
mark
gak
Senior Levergunner

Post by gak »

dogngun wrote: FWIW, the "new" Rossi 462 revolver I have now is first rate.
Thanks.
mark
I've looked at those and have heard generally very good things, save for the usual knee-jerk Rossi detractors. Few people know that it's one of the--if not "the" (at least among popularly known)--small frame six shooters DA in the .38/.357 class made now. I A-B'd one with a late model Detective Special, darn close to the D-frame Colt in nearly all respects except for some more beef ahead of the cylinder in the case of the Rossi. It was apparent to me that Rossi pretty much used the Cold DS as a template. Coulda done worse! I had a very nice, no-issue Pre-Braztech 971 some years ago, and would strongly consider this if in the market for a carry snubbie.
dogngun
Levergunner 1.0

Post by dogngun »

gak wrote:
dogngun wrote: FWIW, the "new" Rossi 462 revolver I have now is first rate.
Thanks.
mark
I've looked at those and have heard generally very good things, save for the usual knee-jerk Rossi detractors. Few people know that it's one of the--if not "the" (at least among popularly known)--small frame six shooters DA in the .38/.357 class made now. I A-B'd one with a late model Detective Special, darn close to the D-frame Colt in nearly all respects except for some more beef ahead of the cylinder in the case of the Rossi. It was apparent to me that Rossi pretty much used the Cold DS as a template. Coulda done worse! I had a very nice, no-issue Pre-Braztech 971 some years ago, and would strongly consider this if in the market for a carry snubbie.

I changed the hammer spring to get a better DA trigger-Wolff Springs recommended the same spring they sell for the S&W J frames. I own 7 Smiths right now, and a 1911 and several other smaller autos, and have been shooting all kinds of handguns since about 1970. I carry the Rossi every day...it is very accurate, reliable and really solid...a 26 ounce 2" snubbie...which is what I like in a shooter. AND 6 shots and all stainless.

mark