JUST HOW GOOD IS A M39?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

JUST HOW GOOD IS A M39?

Post by Rusty »

I never have really shot my M39 as a benchrest rifle, it's just what stays near the back door and is fun to plink with. I have a 10/22 with a bull barrel I use for USBR matches, while I'm not top shelf with it, I do OK. I was just wondering if anyone has ever tweeked a M39 to do more with it?
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
Terry Murbach
Shootist

Re: JUST HOW GOOD IS A M39?

Post by Terry Murbach »

MY MARLIN 39 MOUNTIE MADE AN OLD FRIEND OF MINE SEND BACK HIS NEW KIMBER 22 RIFLE TO BE RE-BARRELED. THAT M39 WILL SHOOT RIGHT ALONG WITH MY R-P M541T HB WHICH AVERAGED 1.54 MOA WITH THIRTY TWO DIFFERENT 22LR LOADS, ALL TEN SHOT GROUPS, WHICH HAD TO INCLUDE A RELOAD AND RE-SETTING OF EVERYTHING TO FINISH EACH TEN SHOT GROUP. THE M39 WILL DO THAT WITH FIVE-SHOT GROUPS.
DO NOT BE SURPRISED IF YOUR M39 OUTSHOOTS EVERY 22 RIFLE YOU OWN AND EVERYONE YOU WILL BUY TO TRY AND BEAT IT.

PS: THIS M39 WAS RE-BARRELED BY MARLIN AS IT WAS THE SINGULAR WORST MARLIN I'D EVER SHOT, THAT MAKING IT THE ONLY---ONLY !!! ---BAD SHOOTING MARLIN I'D EVER HEARD OF LET ALONE SEEN AND SHOT MYSELF.
AND SO IT GOES...
RIDE, SHOOT STRAIGHT, AND SPEAK THE TRUTH
jnyork
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jnyork »

I shoot a 1967 model in lever action silhouette. When I was testing different ammos with it, I got a scope base for it and mounted a 20x target scope. Was very pleasantly surprised, it shot far better than I had expected. Showed a distinct preference for the Federal Champion 510, which I have been shooting ever since, have now run over 30,000 rounds thru it and never stuttered, and it was well worn when I got it. Cant remember the exact size of my groups, but were considerably under minute of ram. :D
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

my '57 vintage Marlin 39 is just as accurate as my 28" barreled Martini-Greener
and I shoot it just as accurately. Off hand or on the bench.
Same for my Cheif AJ 10/22. If I do my part the old 39 will put ten rounds into a ragged hole.

Some guys don't like the fat fore end but I like the added weight and the way it fills my hand.

jb 8)
Last edited by 2ndovc on Sat Apr 16, 2011 11:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 3leggedturtle »

When I was shooting regulary, had no problem with 2" groups at 100 yards. That was 15 shots BTW :D One of the last rifles i'd ever sell
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

250 Savage... its what the 223 wishes it could be...!
jdad
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jdad »

I have several 22's that will shoot smaller groups past 50yds, but nothing other than a 39A has won any of our silhouette matches.
I know a whole lot about very little and nothing about a whole lot.
Bigahh
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Bigahh »

Smoe guys don't like the fat fore end but I like the added weight and the way it fills my hand.

I could sure learn to Like it a great deal if it happened to be in my safe !
salvo
Senior Levergunner

Post by salvo »

I have an 1982 39A that I bought here from the classifieds!
I tested a bunch of .22 ammo from my bench. A few brands shot 1/4" at 25 yds and 3/4" at 50 yds.

At 25 yds - 5 shots

ScottS

"No arsenal, no weapon in the arsenals of the world, is so formidable as the will and moral courage of free men and women."
-- Ronald Reagan
Lastmohecken
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lastmohecken »

I have had some that shot better then others, but I used to shoot some 22 rifle silouette, back in the 80's and I had a 39A with a 12 power Leupold that I could often beat most of the older hands at the time who were shooting high dollar target rifles, that cost 3 and 4 times as much as my Marlin.

But my Marlin also had almost a hair trigger on it, and a top notch trigger can often make all of the difference, in that game. Because sometimes I just couldn't hold a tight enough wobble to insure a hit, shooting off hand on tiny steel targets, so with the Marlin, I would just swing ever so slowly onto the target, and start my squeese as I crossed the first edge of the target, and manage to get the shot off before I drifted off again. It usually worked. Timing is everthing sometimes, as the saying goes. :D
NRA Life Member, Patron
JB
Senior Levergunner

Post by JB »

You're kind of limited what you can do to a M39 other than smoothing up the trigger a little bit. I've fired some that were very accurate for lever guns, while other were just so so. The most accurate lever 22 I currently own is a 9422. I've owned others 9422's that were just averge shooters, but this one will shoot with a lot of bolts.
otteray
Levergunner 2.0

Post by otteray »

Mine, an octagon barreled from the 1920s, has an action as smooth as butter with accuracy to match using the original tang peep sight. A wonderful lever action!
I am "limited" to standard velocity because of the old bolt style.
I can't speak as to the later 39A models since I don't have one.
otteray
Charles
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Charles »

The Model 39 is a fine rifle and my 1954 vintage rifles is quite accurate. I think the 3/4 (50 yards) and 2 inch (100 yards) is a good average accuracy with ammo the rifle likes.

However, there were a number of other rifles, bolt action mostly, that would beat 39's accuracy handily. I have a Mossberg 146B (1949) that will shoot rings around the Marlin.

Back in the day, there were a number of man sized 22 LR rifles that were very accurate.