Stetson anyone?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

Stetson anyone?

Post by olyinaz »

Stetson hat to be new Army standard headgear:

http://www.army.mil/-news/2011/04/01/54 ... ine-title0

With the dress uniform I like it A LOT. With a combat uniform?? I dunno...at least you can fold a beret and stuff it in your cargo pocket.

My beloved Airborne keeps their maroon beret (daggum right) and the Rangers get their black beret back (about time).

I would imagine the Cavalry is not amused! I think they'll still be the only ones with the distinctive jack boots and saber authorized.

Cheers,
Oly
Cheers,
Oly

I hope and pray someday the world will learn
That fires we don't put out will bigger burn

Johnny Wright
awp101
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Stetson anyone?

Post by awp101 »

The Army's official adoption date of the Stetson will be April Fool's Day, 2012.
:wink:
Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits.
-Mark Twain

Proverbs 3:5; Philippians 4:13

Got to have a Jones for this
Jones for that
This running with the Joneses boy
Just ain't where it's at
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Don't know what to say but I bet the Lone Ranger ain't gonna like this.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

jkbrea
Senior Levergunner

Post by jkbrea »

I sure hope it's an April Fool's joke. :shock:
olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by olyinaz »

awp101 wrote:
The Army's official adoption date of the Stetson will be April Fool's Day, 2012.
:wink:
Oh man!!! They got me good. :lol:

Daggumit! That hat DOES look good!! :P

OK OK - move along...nothing more to see here. :D

Oly
Cheers,
Oly

Johnny Wright
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

As my buddy said, "...it's always been allowed," said the attitude among his fellow 3rd CAV members was, '...I'm in Iraq, come make me remove it!'
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
txpete
Departed Friend

Post by txpete »

yup I see them doing that about the same time as they give out the "order of the spur" the the mess hall :lol: :lol:

http://www.first-team.us/tableaux/apndx_11/
DAV life member.
C. Cash
Advanced Levergunner

Post by C. Cash »

I sure wish giving the coveted black beret to all Army Soldier's had been an April Fools joke. :shock:
But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8
Booger Bill
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Booger Bill »

Man, if I was young again I would jine up just ta git thet hat! It`s almost as good as this ol tom mix model I got! If I thought it true I would be calling up my broker right now to roll over my entire 401K into stetson stock!

olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by olyinaz »

C. Cash wrote:I sure wish giving the coveted black beret to all Army Soldier's had been an April Fools joke. :shock:
Agreed!

Oly
Cheers,
Oly

Johnny Wright
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

olyinaz wrote:
C. Cash wrote:I sure wish giving the coveted black beret to all Army Soldier's had been an April Fools joke. :shock:
Agreed!

Oly
+ another!
spaceman spiff
Levergunner 3.0

Post by spaceman spiff »

+1

I was in the Army and would have felt undeserving of wearing a beret. I knew what the soldiers
who wore them had to go through for that honor.

spaceman
I didn't fail the test, I just found 100 ways to do it wrong.

Benjamin Franklin
COSteve
Advanced Levergunner

Post by COSteve »

As a member of an Armored Cav unit in the 60's, I was proud that we distinguished ourselves from the other elements of the Army by our Stetsons and tanker boots and would have been disappointed to see them commonly worn by the masses.
Steve
Retired and Living the Good Life
No Matter Where You Go, There You Are
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

+ 1, 2, and 3 :!: That was quite an insult (and I never wore one)
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Gobblerforge
Senior Levergunner

Post by Gobblerforge »

I never understood the loosing of the shade from the billed cover.
Gobbler
Click Click Boom
txpete
Departed Friend

Post by txpete »

COSteve wrote:As a member of an Armored Cav unit in the 60's, I was proud that we distinguished ourselves from the other elements of the Army by our Stetsons and tanker boots and would have been disappointed to see them commonly worn by the masses.
I can remember nco calls and if you didn't have your stetson you were in deep trouble.1/9,2/9,7/17 and 1st cav.there was several nights coming out of the blackhorse pub things were a bit fuzzy :lol: air cav wore the black beret until about 78-79 fuzzy again :wink:.I never liked it and was worthless on the flight line.
DAV life member.
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

I wore the maroon beret. What it was good for was distinguishing those who had gone through jump school and were on airborne status. We were rather proud of it. The black and the green berets were even more prestigious and harder to earn. It was an insult to me when everyone got to wear a beret. We earned the right to wear that silly headgear.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by olyinaz »

piller wrote:I wore the maroon beret. What it was good for was distinguishing those who had gone through jump school and were on airborne status. We were rather proud of it. The black and the green berets were even more prestigious and harder to earn. It was an insult to me when everyone got to wear a beret. We earned the right to wear that silly headgear.
Yes, and we wore it right. I wish I had a dollar for every Army Joe/Jane I see these days with it plopped on top of their head like a cow pie.

Cheers,
Oly
Cheers,
Oly

Johnny Wright
horsesoldier03
Advanced Levergunner

Post by horsesoldier03 »

Well, I never thought we would be wearing a black beret, yet, I seen that even while I was on active duty. At least the Stetson will keep the sun out of their eyes I guess. In my opinion, the integrity of "Earning Your SPURS" went out the window a long time ago. Much of the time for officers its nothing more than a check the block with a GROUP night time mounted land nav. course. (WOO HOO)
Sometime the stupidity of the senior leaders in the Army never ceases to amaze me!

Maybe they should all wear DRILL SERGEANT HATS!

The way the Army is headed with uniforms we will only be bested by the FRENCH and third world country dictators!
“Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.”
horsesoldier03
Advanced Levergunner

Post by horsesoldier03 »

[quote="Booger Bill"]Man, if I was young again I would jine up just ta git thet hat! It`s almost as good as this ol tom mix model I got! If I thought it true I would be calling up my broker right now to roll over my entire 401K into stetson stock!

Dont go messing with your 401K, they will probably outsource it to china like they did with the first berets! :lol:
“Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.”
awp101
Advanced Levergunner

Post by awp101 »

piller wrote:It was an insult to me when everyone got to wear a beret.
It was to me as well and I was AD at the time. The only things I had in common with a Ranger were taking the same oath and wearing the same BDUs. Other than that, it was pretty easy to tell which was me and which was the Ranger without even having to look for the tab or beret. :lol:

And it didn't do a thing for my esprit de corps either... :roll:
Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits.
-Mark Twain

Proverbs 3:5; Philippians 4:13

Got to have a Jones for this
Jones for that
This running with the Joneses boy
Just ain't where it's at
Paladin
Senior Levergunner

Post by Paladin »

+4, I wore my first one in 1974.
It is not the critic who counts
C. Cash
Advanced Levergunner

Post by C. Cash »

I simply couldn't believe it when I heard it. I was an Infantryman with the five jump chump status(earned my wings but I couldn't get a slot at the 82nd after graduation), and next to the CIB those black berets and ranger tabs represented the highest honor that any Infantryman could possibly achieve in the Army. It represented the best of the best. It was all we dreamed of, but you knew you had to pay alot more blood, sweat, tears and maybe your life to earn them. I agree we are essentially not a beret wearing people, but those were/are the exception. It was quite an insult to give those to everyone when so many fought so hard to wear one. All to raise self esteem ??? :shock:

Gobbler: In the field, even the Rangers wore a field cap with a visor, though they had a way of wearing them that was in itself unique.

I've always thought that the Air Cav. had the coolest headgear around. I would be all for it, but I don't know how the inner city dudes would take to them. :wink:
Last edited by C. Cash on Mon Apr 04, 2011 8:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8
txpete
Departed Friend

Post by txpete »

I still have my stetson but I gave my spurs to my daughter to give to my grandson someday.

DAV life member.
COSteve
Advanced Levergunner

Post by COSteve »

Deleted
Last edited by COSteve on Thu May 01, 2014 12:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Steve
Retired and Living the Good Life
No Matter Where You Go, There You Are
horsesoldier03
Advanced Levergunner

Post by horsesoldier03 »

I didnt read the bottom line of the article. I have been told that the comment below was to make it understood that this was an APRIL FOOLS JOKE, however, I have not contacted the source!

"The Army's official adoption date of the Stetson will be April Fool's Day, 2012."