Lever action .35 Whelen

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Lever action .35 Whelen

Post by vancelw »

We had a small gun show in town this weekend.

I spied a Marlin Levergun on a table --the tag read .35 Whelen. Caught my attention :o
I looked at the barrel and it said .35 Remington.
Asked the dealer it it had been bored out (wondering silently if a case that long would feed from the tube to the chamber)
He said, no, but he'd been shooting .35 Whelen through it just fine? Was insistent upon it. I point out the the barrel says .35 Rem and he gets even more vocal-no, the barrel hasn't been modified but he's been shooting .35 Whelen in it with no problems. Not to argue (?!?!?) I lost interest in the rifle, eased away from the table and went about my business.

Today I cruise by his table and Whelen is marked out and Remington written in.

Was he nuts or am I missing something. A Whelen round wouldn't even fit in a .35 Rem chamber would it?
"Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world." - Thomas Carlyle
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Re: Lever action .35 Whelen

Post by Malamute »

Not by a long shot, nor would it feed through the action, no matter how much work you did.

No, wait, maybe if you took two guns, cut them apart in the middle to make a longer action and duct tape them together like Red Green did to make a stretch limousine,..... :shock:
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Isnt it amazing how many people post without reading the thread?
Mainehunter
Senior Levergunner

Post by Mainehunter »

With a wad of cash in one hand and a 35 Whelen round in the other, I would pay triple the asking price if he could prove to me it would not only chamber the round but fire it as well :!:

Mainehunter :wink:
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

I had a similar debate over a Winchester '92 in .32WCF.

The guy had it marked .32 Winchester Special. I was very nice and was trying to inform him that
there is a big difference between .32 Spl. and .32 Winchester Center Fire. He started getting nasty and
I said I was going a couple rows over and buy a box of .32 Special ammo and give it to him and $1000 if he could
make them work in that '92.
He took the rifle and put it under the table. As I was walking away the guy with the table behind him says " That kid was right."

:D

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

I wasn't trying to prove him wrong :D On the contrary, if he did, indeed, have a Marlin 336 that was chambered for .35 Whelen I would have snapped it up-just to have something different.
What had me puzzled at first was I was wondering if he had been shooting the wrong shells in it. But I knew .35 Whelen was based on a .30-'06 case and didn't think it would fit.

I was disappointed. I thought I had found a gem among the rubble, but had only found a whack-a-doodle.

Instead, I went home with a Bear recurve bow, a 1925 Winchester model 12 in 16 ga (2 3/4" chamber- modified choke) and a (1970s?) Remington 870 in 16 ga. (2 3/4" chamber-26" VR imp. cyl). The 870 is a near perfect mate to a 12 ga Wingmaster I've had for 30 years. Judging by the serial number, I think they were made within a year of one another. Waiting to hear from Remington.
"Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world." - Thomas Carlyle
JB
Senior Levergunner

Post by JB »

In was in a local shop when the owner had a 375 Winchester. He told me that they didn't know what ammo it used. The 375 H&H they tried to load it with wouldn't fit. I told him that it was a very good thing it hadn't worked. I sure wouldn't want to be around when he fired it! :o
Last edited by JB on Mon Mar 28, 2011 11:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
earlmck
Advanced Levergunner

Post by earlmck »

Yeah, kinda' funny what you can run into in a gun show. Especially out here on the "left coast" there are a lot of folks that have no clue what a 35 Remington is. Everybody and his brother has a 30-30, but to get a 35 Rem you have to get one from "back east" (at least as far "back east" as Texas) :D
The greatest patriot...
is he who heals the most gullies.
Patrick Henry
Mike D.
***Rock Star***

Post by Mike D. »

Even it you could chamber a 336 in .35 Whelen you would be committing a serious error. I doubt the gun would hold together for more than a couple of shots, more'n likely it would blow with the first one. :shock:
"Congressmen who willfully take actions during wartime that damage morale, and undermine the military are saboteurs and should be arrested, exiled or hanged"....President Abraham Lincoln
kaschi
Levergunner 3.0

Post by kaschi »

Some dealers can be disgruntled morons who don't know.......well, I won't say what......Instead of just admitting they are wrong, they would rather stonewall with arrogance to save face.
On another note a 30-06 Browning or Winchester 1895 would be a nice platform for a 35 Whelen!
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

This reminds me of a recent similar situation - in California. I've opened this area for sales for my company with a new distributor there. One of the guys that owns the place is the son of a local Police Cheif. Somehow we got to talking guns and he tells me that his Dad told him that the 9x19 (he just said 9mm) was more "powerful" than a .357 Mag. Well I politely inform him of the differences between the two rounds and suggest that perhaps his Dad was talking about "firepower"= number of rounds that could be carried = no, he insisted that his Dad told him that the 9mm was much more powerful... but he was thinking about what I said about velocity and bullet weight... shocked to learn that his Dad the Police Cheif could be wrong about a gun related fact....
NRA Endowment Life
Phi Kappa Sigma, Alpha Phi 83 "Skulls"
OCS, 120th MP Battalion, MSSG
MOLON LABE!
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

I have mentioned before that I have a 336 that used to be a 35 Rem that is now a .358....the bbl is so marked and a fellow forumite has shot it. I may finish it up someday and shoot it...for now, it remains in the safe.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

BlaineG wrote:I have mentioned before that I have a 336 that used to be a 35 Rem that is now a .358....the bbl is so marked and a fellow forumite has shot it. I may finish it up someday and shoot it...for now, it remains in the safe.
.358 Winchester? Isn't that a rimless case as well? Tell us more! Details man! Don't worry about hi-jacking. We're all friends here. :D
earlmck
Advanced Levergunner

Post by earlmck »

vancelw wrote: .358 Winchester? Isn't that a rimless case as well? Tell us more! Details man! Don't worry about hi-jacking. We're all friends here. :D
As is the 35 Remington rimless. The Marlin especially doesn't depend on the rim for stopping the cartridge, and I'll bet a little alteration would allow the winnys to handle 'em also. But the 358 Win must operate at the same pressure as the 35 Whelen that started the thread, doesn't it Blaine? This gonna' be all right?
The greatest patriot...
is he who heals the most gullies.
Patrick Henry
buckeyeshooter
Senior Levergunner

Post by buckeyeshooter »

marlin rifles will take a 2.55 inch overall length from the factory. There are gunsmiths who can modifly to take a 2.7 inch length. The whelan is 3.34 inches overall---- ain't gonna fit!
Mainehunter
Senior Levergunner

Post by Mainehunter »

vancelw wrote:
BlaineG wrote:I have mentioned before that I have a 336 that used to be a 35 Rem that is now a .358....the bbl is so marked and a fellow forumite has shot it. I may finish it up someday and shoot it...for now, it remains in the safe.
.358 Winchester? Isn't that a rimless case as well? Tell us more! Details man! Don't worry about hi-jacking. We're all friends here. :D
I'm having my Marlin 336 35 Remington converted to a 356 rimless by Nonneman, here is the link to the post: http://www.levergunscommunity.com/viewtopic.php?t=32205 I should be getting mine back hopefully by end of this spring.

Mainehunter :wink:
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

earlmck wrote:
vancelw wrote: .358 Winchester? Isn't that a rimless case as well? Tell us more! Details man! Don't worry about hi-jacking. We're all friends here. :D
As is the 35 Remington rimless. The Marlin especially doesn't depend on the rim for stopping the cartridge, and I'll bet a little alteration would allow the winnys to handle 'em also. But the 358 Win must operate at the same pressure as the 35 Whelen that started the thread, doesn't it Blaine? This gonna' be all right?
Beats heck out of me. The fella I got it from was selling it for a dead friend's widow. He said it's been shot and that he shot it. It's awful rough now, no sights and ugly finish. If and when I fix it up, I suspect I'll shoot pretty light loads it it, maybe like a 35 Rem +P. I would trust it up to 42,000.

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
Mike D.
***Rock Star***

Post by Mike D. »

The .358 W ruins at 58,000 PSI and will would be very hazardous to run through a 336 Marlin. :shock:
"Congressmen who willfully take actions during wartime that damage morale, and undermine the military are saboteurs and should be arrested, exiled or hanged"....President Abraham Lincoln
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Mike D. wrote:The .358 W ruins at 58,000 PSI and will would be very hazardous to run through a 336 Marlin. :shock:
:idea: That's why I'll load it down...I don't trust it, either. Actually, I'm afraid to sell it...someone might blow it up and hold me responsible. :roll:

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

BlaineG wrote:
Mike D. wrote:The .358 W ruins at 58,000 PSI and will would be very hazardous to run through a 336 Marlin. :shock:
:idea: That's why I'll load it down...I don't trust it, either. Actually, I'm afraid to sell it...someone might blow it up and hold me responsible. :roll:

tell them your name is Hillary when you sell it!

I forgot .35 Rem was an automatic round. I had it in my pea-brain that all lever action rounds were rimmed. I even forgot about the .45 acp threads. All this gun talk makes me want to go buy some more. I think a .30-40 krag is in my future.