OT - Challenging range session (report)

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Ysabel Kid

OT - Challenging range session (report)

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Well, last weekend Y2K and I got an invite from the father of one of his fellow scouts to go shooting locally at one of his friend’s pieces of property. We’ve shot with them once before on this land, and it is great. It’s only a few minutes from our house, and is a large open lot with a big excavated area that provides a fantastic backstop and a nature sound break.

The day was great too. Sunny and warm – upper 60’s. Plenty comfortable enough for shorts or jeans, without being too warm.

So, Y2K and I thought about what we wanted to shoot. His scouting-buddy was very interested in shooting my Kahr/Auto-Ordnance “Thompson 1927A-1 Deluxe (T1)”, the semi-automatic version of the famous (or infamous) “Tommy Gun”. This one has the steel receiver, and it ain’t a lightweight! I wanted to fire this as well – as I hadn’t had a chance to. So I loaded up a 50-round drum so we wouldn’t have to at the range.

Well, naturally, going with the Tommy I decided to bring my Auto-Ordnance 1911. Heck – they shoot the same cartridge (the venerable .45 ACP), and Y2K’s buddy has never fired one (Y2K has), and he’s probably going to inherit one from his grandfather at some point.

So that was two – but we had to bring more.

Number three was another “virgin”, a Remington Model 700 ADL Varmint in .308 Winchester. This is a heavy-barrel model. Dick’s Sporting Goods had them on sale before the holiday, and both TedH and I picked up one. Ted had great luck with his, so I couldn’t wait to get this one out. With all the firearms I own, this is my first modern centerfire bolt-action rifle. I have other bolt-action centerfire rifles, but they are all World War I or World War II vintage arms. The deal at Dick’s was great – I couldn’t pass it up. I had a Leupold Gold Ring variable that I purchased 23 years ago that has been waiting for the right gun all that time – and the Remington 700 is it! I mounted a bipod on it, bore sighted it, and couldn’t wait to get it on paper.

Well, if we were bringing three guns, we might as well bring a couple more!

Last time out with our friends the boys fired their M91/30 Mosin-Nagant’s, so I decided to bring a gun firing the little brother of the cartridge that rifle shoots (the 7.62 x 54R Russian), a Russian SKS in 7.62 x 39mm. They had fired an intermediate round before – the .223 Winchester in an AR-15, so this made a lot of sense.

Finally, I brought an old standby, a Ruger Mark II in stainless with a bull-barrel. This gun is just a ton of fun to shoot. Accurate and reliable – and I always bring a .22 whenever I hit the range.

Our friends brought two guns – the father’s Beretta M92, and his brother’s Mosin-Nagant carbine.

So, with a small arsenal ready to go, we decided to start with the Thompson.

And that is when the trouble started.

We couldn’t get the darn drum to feed – at all. Finally gave up on it, and started shooting my 1911. And then the rear sight retaining screw broke, and the sight would sit still. Two guns up – two problems. Well, that is why you bring more guns.

So we tried the Beretta M92, and it started jamming immediately. It was the ammo – purchased reloads. Still, we were now three for three. Okay, time to jump ahead to bring out “ol’ reliable” – the Ruger Mark II.

You guessed it – it jammed with almost every round. It was cleaned after the last shooting session – where it performed flawlessly, chewing through everything I fed it. Just like it always does. But not today. Only thing I can figure was that the ammo was to blame (Winchester “X-Pert” bought at Wally-World). Four for four. A this point, I seriously considered calling it a day. :evil:

Well, the Mosin-Nagant was next up, and it worked great. Finally – a gun functioning the way it was supposed to. Talk about embarrassing up to that point. Only thing that saved face for me was that their first gun also had problems! :oops:

Here’s a picture of our friend firing the Mosin. It is a carbine, wearing a 6x scout scope.

I can tell you, the muzzle-blast, report, and recoil on the carbine is significantly greater than the full rifle – but not uncomfortable and certaining a hoot to shoot. The boys loved it – we all did!

Meanwhile, I tried the Remington. The bore sighting had worked – it was on paper at 100 yards with the first shot. In fact, it was on target with the first shot – and this was shooting cheap Wolf 150-grain FMJ ammunition. Actually, I never touched the scope the whole session, and everyone hit what they shot at with it! This is a keeper!!! :D

Meanwhile, I had thought ahead enough to bring a stick magazine for the Thompson. We loaded it, and it functioned flawlessly! What a relief. Here’s Y2K’s buddy shooting it:

And him holding it mugging for the camera (this is now his facebook photo! :lol: ).

And here is Y2K trying to shoulder it:

Did I mention it was heavy? Between that and the length of pull, shouldering it properly may be another couple years off. Well, there is always hip-firing it:

And Y2K trying to mimic his friend:

I'll have to talk to him about where he needs to keep his trigger finger! :shock:

Finally, we broke out the SKS. No pictures – you’ve all seen them. The boys had a ton of fun shooting it, and it worked flawlessly. Just what you'd expect.

So, all in all, despite the issues, any day shooting is a good day. Sorry for the long-winded report! :D
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Re: OT - Challenging range session (report)

Post by JReed »

Way cool :mrgreen: It was to cold last weekend here to go to a range so we just settled for shooting CCI CB caps in the yard. Didn't you pick up an Enfield that you have yet to pull the trigger on?
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

To err is human, To forgive is devine, Neither of which is Marine Corps policy
Semper Fidelis
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Nope - shot that one in December - with the boys - when we shot at this place for the first time. It was a hoot! Y2K is getting to shoot something new almost every time we go out. Lucky little turd! :lol:
Bigahh
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Bigahh »

Looks like a Great Day was had !
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

Glad you finally got to shoot it. I know when we met up in November you hadn't yet.

I hear you on how fun the Rugers are. I just got a Mk III last Friday. I haven't fired it with 22LR ammo yet but with CB caps it is a ton of fun to shoot.
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

To err is human, To forgive is devine, Neither of which is Marine Corps policy
Semper Fidelis
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

I used to have a semi-auto Thompson, mine was the 1928 M1 military model. It was fun to play with at the range, but I eventually sold because it was so heavy and didn't have any real utility in my arsenal.

I replaced it with a Marlin Camp 45.

:?
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

Sounds like you had fun despite the hiccups. That's how it goes sometimes.
Old Law Dawg
Stan in SC
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Stan in SC »

Mosins are really enjoyable to shoot.They are rugged,simple and STRONG.The scout scope setup looks good.It is similar to the set up I have for sale here although mine is in a synthetic stock.Your pictures make me have second thoughts about selling it.Good report.

Stan in SC
The more I listen,the more I hear....and vice versa.

45-70,it's almost a religion
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

I once shot next to a guy using a Mosin carbine, they sure have a lot of muzzle flash.. :o

Glad you had fun despite the hiccups.
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Kid,
That is one of the best ways to spend a day! :D You got your buds, your kids, neat guns, and an unrestricted place to blast. :D

Yep, those Thompsons are heavy. You can make some changes to that, that will reduce the weight and add to the "cool factor". The best and easiest way would be to replace the barrel with an original SMG barrel. You will have to register it as an NFA gun but for $200, it will be worth it. And yes, do the proper paperwork before doing any changes :wink:--------------Sixgun
Yes, It’s Mighty, No Need To Prove It…..
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

YK, I think I suggested to you before! Use real wheel guns, not those shuttle back things :roll: :lol:

We all get issues with guns, be boring if not.

Glad you had fun with your son, priceless!

Nath.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
C. Cash
Advanced Levergunner

Post by C. Cash »

Those days are frustrating, especially when the kids are there. Yep, Nath's got it....got have some more wheel guns in the mix there Jay! :wink:
But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

Had them kinda days before, had my Kahr Tommy a couple days before the rear sdight popped off, then the groove in the bolt that holds the bolt open after the last shot wore out.
Sent it back and they sent it back with some new parts on it but haven`t figured out how to fix the problems.
Drilled out the screw holes for the sight and tapped next bigger size and put brass screws in mine, the hold open problem is another story but i fixed it.
Would i buy another one, no.
Enough rant from me :roll: ,

Cool pics and looked like fun for all. 8)
Because I Can, and Have
-------------------------------------------------------------
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Disclaimer, not responsible for anyone copying or building anything i make.
Always consult an expert first.