Leather Holster Treatments

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Beaker
Levergunner 3.0

Leather Holster Treatments

Post by Beaker »

Just purchased a new Hunter brand leather holster for my Ruger Single Six in stainless steel today. What recomendations do you all have for treating the leather for breaking it in and for preserving, water proofing, and protection of both the leather and the revolver? Do you recomend putting neatsfoot, mink or baseball glove oil in it silicone or leaving it raw?
Hobie

Re: Leather Holster Treatments

Post by Hobie »

Lexol? I've got something else that's good but can't remember the name off hand. :roll:
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
stickfred
Levergunner 1.0

Post by stickfred »

You might look into Obenauf's products Beaker. All natural with bee's wax and propolis that won't eat up stitching and is safe for use on boots with GoreTex. The paste is a heavier. longer lasting treatment. I recently used the liquid on some raw leather deck shoes that I found and it got them wearable without all the stiffness it had after many applications. I'll throw on a paste treatment once we get a little warmer with some more consistent sun. I use neetsfoot, too, from time to time but only pure neetsfoot. Have fun and the best to you and your new holster setup.

Rick
InTheWoods
Levergunner 2.0

Post by InTheWoods »

Many modern holster makers recommend that you put nothing on the holster that will soften the leather and reduce the effects of the boning they have done to form fit the holster to your particular gun. The holsters often come hard as a rock (or quite stiff anyway), and are designed to stay that way. Most are treated with chemicals at the maker to reduce water absorption and the effects of aging. For sheer appearance sake, a thin coat of the appropriately colored shoe polish probably won't cause much harm.

Generic holsters, not designed to exactly fit a particular gun model, may be a different story.
foxtrapper
Levergunner 2.0

Post by foxtrapper »

I agree with ITH . I put nothing on my leather holsters. Just fill them with steel!!!!
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

I have several different Hunter brand holsters. I wear them hunting in rain and snow and have never treated them with anything. They hold up well and don't seem to absorb any large amount of moisture. I'd be afraid of any treatment (like neatsfoot oil) mucking up the gun and attracting dust.
"Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world." - Thomas Carlyle
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

Skidmores Leather Cream.
http://www.skidmores.com/index.htm

GOOD STUFF !!
Richard
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Richard »

Many options to consider here. I highly recommend Obenauf's Heavy-Duty Leather Preservative – 8 oz from Cabelas. :) I have some experience working with leather and recently found this creme and have used it one several new holsters, my stiff Leatherman tool holder, and a few belts and leather brief case. Also used it on gloves and my Duluth work boots, no polish! :P

Work it in numerous times, by hand is the best, taking your time to work it slowly & deep into the leather. Dry a day or so between applications with a minimun of three. Youl'll feel the difference as the leather softens and come back to life. Work it till you're satisfied with your holster.

http://www.cabelas.com/catalog/product. ... e1f6d8dc56
“What no eye has seen, nor ear heard, nor the heart of man imagined, what God has prepared for those who love him” — 1 Corinthians 2:9
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

Most custom professional holster makers suggest using nothing, but a neutral shoe paste like Kiwi's. Or it may just soften the leather to much. I agree with using Skidmore's, Obenauf's is good, I also use Peccard's. Peccard's is highly recommended by the custom whip makers as keeping their expensive kangaroo leather soft and pliable, but not soften it to the point it stretches. Believe me, a whip stresses leather like nothing else.
Old Law Dawg
Beaker
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Beaker »

Thanks Guys, I appreciate the input.
Kansas Ed
Senior Levergunner

Post by Kansas Ed »

One thing to take into account I would think is the makeup of the treatment. Does it have something in it which will cause rust on your firearm. I don't know what treatments consist of chemically, but I would be wary of anything which might have any type of salts in it for preservative, or any other rust causing agent. I know that I treated one holster years ago with something (I think mink oil), and within a few weeks, the pistol (which had resided in it for some time previously without harm) started getting surface rust on it. Made me wonder what else was in it.

Ed
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

From my personal experience, I wouldn't use mink oil. Most mink oil manufactured today isn't all mink oil. Plus, mink oil will soften the leather to much and it will lose shape and stretch.
Old Law Dawg