348 Winchester

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
SJPrice
Levergunner 3.0

Re: 348 Winchester

Post by SJPrice »

TMair wrote:
WinM71 wrote:Be sure to get a Lee Factory Crimp Die! The absolute best thing ever invented for loading the .348. I even bought a spare. Another real key is to find a neck sizer die (Victor, mod71alaska, had some extras for sale at one time). It will extend your case life a great deal, as well as making the sizing process much easier.
I had thought about a factory crimp die, so they do make a big difference?

So I am assuming the neck sizer die just resized the neck so you are not working the rest of the bras? I can see where that would save a lot, and with the cost of brass saving every little bit is a good deal.
Thanks for the advise.
Terry
The factory crimp die is the only way to go when using the Hawk bullets. The have no cannelure for crimping. Without the Lee Crimp Die you will get bullet set back on rounds in the mag tube from recoil.
Always Drink Upstream From The Herd
WinM71
Levergunner 2.0

Post by WinM71 »

Using a neck sizer saves a lot of work on the brass, and greatly reduces case lengthening. In my experience it easily doubles case life. It also avoids the messy case lube/lube removal process that is absolutely necessary when full-length sizing.

If you don't have a Lee Factory Crimp die, you have to be extremely careful trying to use the roll crimper in a normal seating die. All your cases better be very nearly exactly the same length (doesn't matter with the Lee die). If a case is a bit long, it's not unusual to buckle the case and ruin it. On a case that's shorter, you get less crimp. Not the way to go.
My mind reader refuses to charge me..........

Now listen boy, I'm tryin' to teach you somethin'. That ain't an optical illusion, it only LOOKS LIKE an optical illusion.
TMair
Levergunner 2.0

Post by TMair »

Yeah it's been a wile since I reloaded, I am looking forward to getting back into it, I know I enjoyed it almost as much as shooting, well maybe not, but I enjoyed it, I need to order a few things, I never did have a case trimmer, don't know how I got by with out that, and I am going to get a factory crimp dye for a couple of my different calibers, thanks for the heads up you guys!
Terry
Wrangler John
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Wrangler John »

The Winchester '86/'71 are possibly two of the most attractive rifles in existence, along with the Savage 99 spool magazine rifles of course. I bought a Browning M-71 carbine when they first came out, along with two '86's. At the range the carbine liked Hornady bullets and the Barnes discontinued X bullet, but never really shot very well. The bore would quickly foul on one side and require constant cleaning. Another problem was that the lever would pop open a little at each shot. So I put it in the safe to investigate later. Later was 20 years later. Finally sent it off to Midwest Gun Works for evaluation and repair. Turns out that the locking bars were defective. They replaced and timed them, which took care of the lever popping open. It still isn't all that accurate, about 2.5" - 3" at 100 yards, but that's enough for a big game hunting rifle. The bore still fouls, but not as bad after breaking in a bit.

I was thinking about having a custom double-lapped cut-rifled barrel made up for it, maybe chambered for the .35-348 Winchester Ackley, maybe send it off to Turnbull for a work over, but thought better of it. So it sits, unblemished except by a receiver sight, on the throne row of my safe reserved for safe queens and rifles built before I learned to recognize a bad idea. Like the elk rifle I had custom built, it sat about unused while time took it's toll of wear and tear on my body until the possibility of great hunts faded into dreams of what could have been.

Still, for all that, there is something unidentifiable about the 71 that whispers of well worn gun shops, ones with creaking wooden floors, and air tinged with the aroma of cigar smoke, walnut and Hoppies that I find a comfort. I take it out and hold it occasionally, and drift off to an imaginary place along the Yellowstone at a time before the world became complicated, when automobiles had clutches and starter peddles. A time before the world went mad and never completely returned to sanity. That may be enough of a reason to keep it, even if I never fire it again. If you find one purchase it, and enjoy the grace of an earlier time.
mod71alaska
Senior Levergunner

Post by mod71alaska »

Wrangler John wrote:The Winchester '86/'71 are possibly two of the most attractive rifles in existence....

.... there is something unidentifiable about the 71 that whispers of well worn gun shops, ones with creaking wooden floors, and air tinged with the aroma of cigar smoke, walnut and Hoppies that I find a comfort. I take it out and hold it occasionally, and drift off to an imaginary place along the Yellowstone at a time before the world became complicated, when automobiles had clutches and starter peddles. A time before the world went mad and never completely returned to sanity. That may be enough of a reason to keep it, even if I never fire it again. If you find one purchase it, and enjoy the grace of an earlier time.

A fine job of waxing poetic there, John! I think I'll grab one of my 71s now, close the door to my study/gun room, and drift back to that good place in time. Thanks...
SJPrice
Levergunner 3.0

Post by SJPrice »

I agree. Great job of describing how the 71 can transport you to another time and another place. As a result of my recent work with the 348 Winchester, I have been reading some old books dealing with deer and elk hunting techniques as well as some favorite old stories of deer and elk camps of the past. One of my favorite authors, Francis Sell was a true fan of the 71 and the 348 Winchester. Does anyone know of any other authors who discussed the model 71 or the 348?
2X22
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 2X22 »

Wrangler John wrote: there is something unidentifiable about the 71 that whispers of well worn gun shops, ones with creaking wooden floors, and air tinged with the aroma of cigar smoke, walnut and Hoppies that I find a comfort. I take it out and hold it occasionally, and drift off to an imaginary place along the Yellowstone at a time before the world became complicated, when automobiles had clutches and starter peddles. A time before the world went mad and never completely returned to sanity.
Holy Moly! I drifted off to that 'imaginary place' pretty quickly while reading just this!

Time to fondle my own 348 and talk to my son tomorrow on the way to the gunshow about that planned moose hunt we've been comtemplating. No time like the present before the wold becomes any more mad :wink:

2x22
"Yes, we did produce a near-perfect republic. But will they keep it? Or will they, in the enjoyment of plenty, lose the memory of freedom? Material abundance without character is the path of destruction." - Thomas Jefferson
tman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by tman »

348 WCF! waaaaaaaaaaY 8) We need to get winchester to produce the ammo on a full time basis. At a much more reasonable cost.
TMair
Levergunner 2.0

Post by TMair »

tman wrote:348 WCF! waaaaaaaaaaY 8) We need to get winchester to produce the ammo on a full time basis. At a much more reasonable cost.
True, true, but I am just waiting for Hornady to come out with their Flexpoint in 348, the email I received from them said it was in the works, I wonder what size it will be!
Terry
SJPrice
Levergunner 3.0

Post by SJPrice »

I want Winchester to bring back the original 250 (elk, hog and bear), 200 (deer and antelope), and 150 (coyote, javelina and varmints) grain silvertip bullets and factory ammo. And while we are at it put them in the original box with the grizzly picture.

IS THAT TOO MUCH TO ASK?
BigSky56
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BigSky56 »

You would be hard pressed to find a better bullet than the hdy 200 FN Ive been using it for years on mulies & elk it acts like a partition in performance and retained weight. I havent found anyone that is using FT on elk in any caliber and happy with them. I believe the new extreme powders will add velocity to the round which will increase the performance and help in real cold temps. danny
2X22
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 2X22 »

SJPrice wrote:I want Winchester to bring back the original 250 (elk, hog and bear), 200 (deer and antelope), and 150 (coyote, javelina and varmints) grain silvertip bullets
YES! Oh my, could you imagine the 250gr silvertip available again to handloaders?

I bet I would spend a fortune building up my stores....and prob'ly not shoot so many cast rounds :D

2x22
"Yes, we did produce a near-perfect republic. But will they keep it? Or will they, in the enjoyment of plenty, lose the memory of freedom? Material abundance without character is the path of destruction." - Thomas Jefferson
tman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by tman »

Hornandy has brought back the 444-265 grain FLATPOINT in loaded ammo :D , perhaps we'll see a flat point and a flex-tip for the .348 :?:
Wrangler John
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Wrangler John »

2X22 wrote:
Wrangler John wrote: there is something unidentifiable about the 71 that whispers of well worn gun shops, ones with creaking wooden floors, and air tinged with the aroma of cigar smoke, walnut and Hoppies that I find a comfort. I take it out and hold it occasionally, and drift off to an imaginary place along the Yellowstone at a time before the world became complicated, when automobiles had clutches and starter peddles. A time before the world went mad and never completely returned to sanity.
Holy Moly! I drifted off to that 'imaginary place' pretty quickly while reading just this!

Time to fondle my own 348 and talk to my son tomorrow on the way to the gunshow about that planned moose hunt we've been comtemplating. No time like the present before the wold becomes any more mad :wink:

2x22
Taking your son moose hunting is the culmination of all things good. I can speak of that with some authority. I am an anachronism, someone out of his time if not place. Born in 1945 on what has been called V.E. Day, the first day after Germany capitulated ending WW II, my parents were older than the average. My father had been born in 1893, prior to the Spanish American War, when "Little Ben" Benjamin Harrison was president, my mother in 1908 during the final months of Theodor Roosevelt's second term. My father died when I was 10, a disadvantage to having older parents. Yet he had been a powerful influence on my life. I can vividly remember his taking me to machine shops, a foundry, and places kids wouldn't ever go. He gave me a tour of a Southern Pacific ferry boat engine room as it sailed across San Francisco Bay. He had been a marine steam engineer, shipyard superintendent and worked for Matson Navigation. I can still recall the trip we made to San Francisco's Crystal Palace Market, the Costco of it's day, where he and I ate giant hot dogs at the lunch counter, while he quaffed an Anchor Steam beer and I a Coke. I was turning his lathe on and off for him at age 3, as he watched carefully while turning parts of one or another invention. I recalled he stood quietly describing how he came by the Indian head insignia painted on aircraft canvas as a souvenir of his time in the 103rd Pursuit Squadron during WW I. Maybe that accounted for his fondness of General Billy Mitchell. I found his name in Gorrell's History of the AEF Air Service.

All of which brings us back to the Model 71 and sharing with your son. Using the brick of history laid upon the mortar of the present, we build memories for each other; memories that prove to be the foundation of our children's character. That Model 71 is more than rifle, it is a connection to our storied past, something uniquely American, made here by our craftsmen. I urge you to carry out that planned hunt, nothing could be a better monument to a father son relationship.

P.S. The Spanish American war found the United States Navy caught in the middle of switching out naval rifles from brown powder to smokeless models, so the war was fought with brown powder. Brown powder was made with toasted wood fiber instead of charcoal, to lessen black powder's tendency to absorb moisture, giving it a brown color. Shaped in prismatic cubes, it was called prismatic brown powder and sewn into silk bags for breech loading artillery. The entire Pacific Theater used brown powder manufactured by the California Powder Works of Santa Cruz, California. http://www.santacruzpl.org/history/articles/11/

Sorry for the long post, I do carry on sometimes! It's a flow of consciousness thing.
SJPrice
Levergunner 3.0

Post by SJPrice »

I am sure glad I started this thread a few weeks back. It has, and continues to me some incredible reading. From facts and information to great stories that let you drift off to where ever the writer takes you for a few minutes. Thanks for all the posts and please keep them coming.

Also a question. Does anyone have information about the WW Silvertips? How they are constructed, jacket thickness, measurements, alloy, hardness etc? Maybe it would be possible to get someone out there to produce them? Or, does anyone have a connection at Winchester where we could make a request for the same and possibly a run of factory ammo?
TMair
Levergunner 2.0

Post by TMair »

SJPrice wrote: Also a question. Does anyone have information about the WW Silvertips? How they are constructed, jacket thickness, measurements, alloy, hardness etc? Maybe it would be possible to get someone out there to produce them? Or, does anyone have a connection at Winchester where we could make a request for the same and possibly a run of factory ammo?
I have a small punch press, cant remember how many Kpounds pressure, anyway I have been thinking of seeing if some one like Corbin will make dies for it, then I could make my own 348s, and 416s, maybe some for others!
Terry
TMair
Levergunner 2.0

Post by TMair »

SJPrice wrote:
TMair wrote:
WinM71 wrote:Be sure to get a Lee Factory Crimp Die! The absolute best thing ever invented for loading the .348. I even bought a spare. Another real key is to find a neck sizer die (Victor, mod71alaska, had some extras for sale at one time). It will extend your case life a great deal, as well as making the sizing process much easier.
I had thought about a factory crimp die, so they do make a big difference?

So I am assuming the neck sizer die just resized the neck so you are not working the rest of the bras? I can see where that would save a lot, and with the cost of brass saving every little bit is a good deal.
Thanks for the advise.
Terry
The factory crimp die is the only way to go when using the Hawk bullets. The have no cannelure for crimping. Without the Lee Crimp Die you will get bullet set back on rounds in the mag tube from recoil.
I just wanted to say thanks for the advise, I got three factory crimp dies, one for the 30-30, one for the 348, and one for the 45-70, I loaded some heavy 45-70 loads, and I loaded up some 200 gr. Hornadys in the 348, I am using them to fine tune the sighting, then I will adjust for the more expencive Hawks, anyway I love the factory crimp dies, they are fantastic.
Thanks again
Terry
Mike D.
***Rock Star***

Post by Mike D. »

Luckily, for me, I have 20 boxes of W-W 200 Silvertip ammo, about 200 of those bullets and the same number of 200 Hornadys. That, plus a few hundred new brass and 100 rds reloads, plus the original owner's dies came with my gun several years ago. No need for anything to do with the .348, except shoot it. :D
"Congressmen who willfully take actions during wartime that damage morale, and undermine the military are saboteurs and should be arrested, exiled or hanged"....President Abraham Lincoln
Boreman
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Boreman »

Mike D. wrote:Luckily, for me, I have 20 boxes of W-W 200 Silvertip ammo, about 200 of those bullets and the same number of 200 Hornadys. That, plus a few hundred new brass and 100 rds reloads, plus the original owner's dies came with my gun several years ago. No need for anything to do with the .348, except shoot it. :D
I like the way Mike D has planned for his M-71/348
I have the following items for my beloved M-71's.I have tried to planned ahead,also.I really like my M-71's................alot!!!!!!!!!!
1675 /200gr Hornadys
100 / 220gr Barnes
100 / 250gr Barnes
88 / 150gr Remington
264 / 200gr Remington
150 / 180gr Speer
50 / 220gr Speer
125 / 150gr Winchester ST
100 / 200gr Winchester ST
277 / 250gr cast
910 / Rounds of brass
60 / Rounds 200gr Win ST
30 / Rounds 250gr Win ST
I forgot to add 80 rds of various reloads.

And any thing else I can find along the way.....................
Model-71's forever !!!!
NRA Patriot Life Member
Endowment level
FOPA #5
GOA,Inc
WVCDL,INC
71fan
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 71fan »

WOW!! I haven't checked in for a while, and it seems the Levergunners have written a whole new book on the 71 :) Lot's of good information here, and a nice read. It's neat to see a constant resurgence of interest in this fine rifle and cartridge.

TMair,
You asked me a question way back on page 3 or 4...where did I hunt in Utah...so here is my answer over a month late:
Fish Lake / Thousand Lake / Plateau, Early. We hunted primarily around the Fish Lake, Hightop, Sevenmile area. Nice country and nice elk. I'd love to go every year, but alas, it's a pretty difficult area to draw so it will likely be fifteen to twenty years before I get to go back.
Chad
71fan
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 71fan »

Boreman wrote:I like the way Mike D has planned for his M-71/348
I have the following items for my beloved M-71's.I have tried to planned ahead,also.I really like my M-71's................alot!!!!!!!!!!
1675 /200gr Hornadys
100 / 220gr Barnes
100 / 250gr Barnes
88 / 150gr Remington
264 / 200gr Remington
150 / 180gr Speer
50 / 220gr Speer
125 / 150gr Winchester ST
100 / 200gr Winchester ST
277 / 250gr cast
910 / Rounds of brass
60 / Rounds 200gr Win ST
30 / Rounds 250gr Win ST
I forgot to add 80 rds of various reloads.

And any thing else I can find along the way.....................
I thought I was bad. I think you have me topped, although I'm not too far behind. I figure I have enough components to last me and my three boys our entire lives (they are now 3, 5, and 8 :wink: ). Among the standard Hawks and Hornady's, my store includes 300 gas check 270s, "lots" of Barnes-X 200s and Barnes-O 250s, and about the same amount of brass as you. I have WAAAAAY more components than I have time to do anything with them.
Chad
2X22
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 2X22 »

Wrangler John wrote: All of which brings us back to the Model 71 and sharing with your son. Using the brick of history laid upon the mortar of the present, we build memories for each other; memories that prove to be the foundation of our children's character. That Model 71 is more than rifle, it is a connection to our storied past, something uniquely American, made here by our craftsmen. I urge you to carry out that planned hunt, nothing could be a better monument to a father son relationship.
Thank you for your post, Wrangler John!

My relationship with my son is something most could only dream of. He first started hiking steep mountains with me at 6 years of age. By 10 he was going out of State on mule deer hunts with myself and his Granddad. By 17 he was going with me and flying into backcountry drop off hunts. Now at 30 years of age, HE is the one setting up all of our hunts, the in State hunts and usually puts us in for deer, elk, sheep and moose (or just one or two species) in around 9 States per season. One of these years we are going to be shocked by being drawn in 4 or 5 States and end up broke............ :lol: Last year he and I hunted out of State togather in 3 states, the year before 2 states. Most of the time it is just the two of us alone, other times we have friends. But I tell you what, there are few things more special in this world than hunting with your children.

Now I can't wait until my Granddaughter gets a few years older so I can start taking her along! At 2 1/2 her Ma just ain't gonna let it happen yet :mrgreen:

2x22
SJPrice
Levergunner 3.0

Post by SJPrice »

2x22,

Good for you sir and my hat is off to you and your son.

Steve
TMair
Levergunner 2.0

Post by TMair »

Just wanted to mention for those of us who don't have two lifetimes worth of reloading supplies Sportsman's Warehouse has a new run of Hornady's 348 200 gr. FPs in stock, just went to pick up a gun safe I had them holding and picked up two boxes (all they had on the shelf).
Terry
SJPrice
Levergunner 3.0

Post by SJPrice »

Sounds like your good luck. I just checked their website and they are listed as "unavailable"
TMair
Levergunner 2.0

Post by TMair »

I guess that could be it has been a long time since I bought any of these, but the box it kind of cool looking, and it says "Interlock" on it, don't know how long they have called them interlock, but I look every time I go into the store and they never have them, I just can't believe they found two boxes laying around and just put them out for me :roll: :D
Terry
rodeo kid
Levergunner 3.0

Post by rodeo kid »

Youse guys need to get rid of those tinker toy 348's and get the only real rifle, a 45-70. :) :mrgreen: :) :mrgreen: :lol:
Member : NRA
Oklahoma Rifle Assoc.
NPPAS

TRUISM: if guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns. So, my advice is: Buy more guns!
TMair
Levergunner 2.0

Post by TMair »

As much as I like my Browning 1886 45-70, I still like my Browning 71!
Now if I just had two more of each!
Terry
TMair
Levergunner 2.0

Post by TMair »

SJPrice wrote:Sounds like your good luck. I just checked their website and they are listed as "unavailable"
Ok I guess it was my lucky day, I just went to Hornady's web site and looked, the new boxes are different than the ones that I found, and the price was about $10.00 below their MSRP...not that that means anything.

So got to pick my first ever gun safe, and scored 2 boxes of 348s for a decent price...yee haw.
Terry
71fan
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 71fan »

rodeo kid wrote:Youse guys need to get rid of those tinker toy 348's and get the only real rifle, a 45-70. :) :mrgreen: :) :mrgreen: :lol:
I would venture a guess that most M71 owners also have a "real rifle" :wink: I have three in that persuasion and would like more....many more. Come to think of it, I could grow old with just 348, 45-70, and a scoped '06. I could use the 348 for plinkin' :D
Chad
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

Well, my "sickness" is up to two .348s, and three "real" rifles. Not to mention the other related symptoms (.38-55, .30-30, .44 mag, .45 Colt. ,40-65 and so on, and so on)

I don't want to be cured.
"Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world." - Thomas Carlyle
big bear
Levergunner 2.0

Post by big bear »

TMair wrote:I guess that could be it has been a long time since I bought any of these, but the box it kind of cool looking, and it says "Interlock" on it, don't know how long they have called them interlock, but I look every time I go into the store and they never have them, I just can't believe they found two boxes laying around and just put them out for me :roll: :D
Terry
How much per box out of curiosity?
Boreman
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Boreman »

71fan wrote:
rodeo kid wrote:Youse guys need to get rid of those tinker toy 348's and get the only real rifle, a 45-70. :) :mrgreen: :) :mrgreen: :lol:
I would venture a guess that most M71 owners also have a "real rifle" :wink: I have three in that persuasion and would like more....many more. Come to think of it, I could grow old with just 348, 45-70, and a scoped '06. I could use the 348 for plinkin' :D
71fan is right on the money,I have a "real rifle" and 4 of those "tinker toy 348's". I would like to have a whole safe full of those "tinker toy 348's" if I could afford them. Prices of "real" M-71's have gone out of sight.Even the Brownchester's are crazy priced.
In keeping up with the quote,I also have that scoped '06.That should cover the bases. Now what to do with the other 16 leverguns ??? :)
Model-71's forever !!!!
NRA Patriot Life Member
Endowment level
FOPA #5
GOA,Inc
WVCDL,INC
SJPrice
Levergunner 3.0

Post by SJPrice »

I copied this comment from another thread here. I think 2x22 sums it up pretty well.

"Neither. I ain't choosin'. I'm keeping them both.

My '86 in 45-90 and my 1936 348 are the only two guns I own that have names.

Thunder and Lightning.

2x22"

My experience bears this out. the 45-70 is capable of hitting harder, but the 348 will get there faster and flatter. Each has it's time and place, and I am not giving up my 1886's or my 71.
TMair
Levergunner 2.0

Post by TMair »

big bear wrote:
TMair wrote:I guess that could be it has been a long time since I bought any of these, but the box it kind of cool looking, and it says "Interlock" on it, don't know how long they have called them interlock, but I look every time I go into the store and they never have them, I just can't believe they found two boxes laying around and just put them out for me :roll: :D
Terry
How much per box out of curiosity?
$34.99 box of 100, I thought that was a bargin compared to Barnes, or Hawks, not that those are bad bullets, just a little steep compared to these, but the box I have in my reloading room from when I bought my first 71 is marked $15.99, is that on target with inflation?
Terry
TMair
Levergunner 2.0

Post by TMair »

vancelw wrote:Well, my "sickness" is up to two .348s, and three "real" rifles. Not to mention the other related symptoms (.38-55, .30-30, .44 mag, .45 Colt. ,40-65 and so on, and so on)

I think we're all a little sick, I have the above mentioned 45-70, and 348, then I have a lever gun in 45 colt, 44 mag, and 30-30 win, then a scoped 416 Rem. mag, dang I thought that was going to go some where :cry: but I do have a nice scoped 270!
Terry
SJPrice
Levergunner 3.0

Post by SJPrice »

TMair wrote:
vancelw wrote:Well, my "sickness" is up to two .348s, and three "real" rifles. Not to mention the other related symptoms (.38-55, .30-30, .44 mag, .45 Colt. ,40-65 and so on, and so on)

I think we're all a little sick, I have the above mentioned 45-70, and 348, then I have a lever gun in 45 colt, 44 mag, and 30-30 win, then a scoped 416 Rem. mag, dang I thought that was going to go some where :cry: but I do have a nice scoped 270!
Terry
270? I am not sure that would be capable of a clean kill on a ground squirrel these days. Just check the gun magazines or the forums if you do not believe me.
mod71alaska
Senior Levergunner

Post by mod71alaska »

SJPrice wrote: 270? I am not sure that would be capable of a clean kill on a ground squirrel these days. Just check the gun magazines or the forums if you do not believe me.
Hey, .270 Win is one of my favorite calibers!!! How can you go wrong with a .270 and a .348? That is a perfect pairing. Add a .223 Rem and you pretty much have it covered for hunting calibers. :D Only thing left is the fun part...extravagance! :lol:
TMair
Levergunner 2.0

Post by TMair »

SJPrice wrote:
TMair wrote:

Terry
270? I am not sure that would be capable of a clean kill on a ground squirrel these days. Just check the gun magazines or the forums if you do not believe me.
Boy I know, back when I got it things where different, but you know how it works, we develope bullets with heaver jackets, they develope heaver, well, jackets, these atomic ground squirrels, but thats where the 416 comes in, now if some one would develope a 200 Gr mega velocity varminter for it before the squirells catch on :shock:
Terry
TMair
Levergunner 2.0

Post by TMair »

mod71alaska wrote:
SJPrice wrote: 270? I am not sure that would be capable of a clean kill on a ground squirrel these days. Just check the gun magazines or the forums if you do not believe me.
Hey, .270 Win is one of my favorite calibers!!! How can you go wrong with a .270 and a .348? That is a perfect pairing. Add a .223 Rem and you pretty much have it covered for hunting calibers. :D Only thing left is the fun part...extravagance! :lol:
I just gave my 22-250 to my son for Christmas, my thinking was why would I need a 22-250 when the 270 can be loaded with light bullets that go plenty fast for varmints, then loaded up for deer, and elk if you want.
Terry
SJPrice
Levergunner 3.0

Post by SJPrice »

270 is a great cartridge, no doubt about it. It is no 348 Winchester, but it is good cartridge none the less. :D
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

SJPrice wrote:270 is a great cartridge, no doubt about it. It is no 348 Winchester, but it is good cartridge none the less. :D

Yeah - For GIRLS! :lol: :lol:

j/k - calm down :D
"Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world." - Thomas Carlyle
brucew44guns
Senior Levergunner

Post by brucew44guns »

I've got # 4079. My dad bought it like new from Howard Hill in 1945, the famous archer of the 50's, actually it was Howards son-in-law. Dad gave it to me in 1962, 50 years ago now. It's killed many mule deer, one elk in Oregon in the Coast range. No man can buy the rifle from me, nor would I sell the still unfired set of 4 Brownings, in Hi and Lo Grades, rifles and carbines. I don't know how any one can get by with less than 5 model 71's.
To hell with them fellas, buzzards gotta eat same as the worms.
Outlaw Josey Wales

Member GOA
NRA Benefactor-Life
Kyle B.
Levergunner

Post by Kyle B. »

I just noticed the 348 win. topic thats been going on for some time. I've owned a model 71 win. for a couple of years now and have hunted with it. My rifle was drilled for scope mounts and I've thought about selling it and buying one that is original. Well that's not going to happen. If it was all original I be too worried about condition to take it out in bad weather to hunt.Our elk seasons are in late Oct. and Nov.. So I've decided the drillings are a blessing in disguise. I 've shot two bucks with it using Barnes Original bullets that were 250 grains. Neither bullet passed through . I found the bullet in the second buck and it had and it had suffered a core separation. When I drew an elk tag I ordered some Hawk bullets. I shot a very large bull and bullet performance was perfect. I do not crimp these bullets as I believe it's not necessary. Twice I loaded 4 rounds , fired three and then measured the last round to see if oal had changed. It had not. The 348 has a long neck,uses long bullets, and has great neck tension.
cshold
Advanced Levergunner

Post by cshold »

I’ve made the decision…

A model 71 will be my next very near future rifle purchase/investment 8)
WinM71
Levergunner 2.0

Post by WinM71 »

You'll never regret it. I'm certainly biased, but I can never look at one without thinking that the 71 represents the ne plus ultra of lever action sporting rifle design & craftsmanship.
My mind reader refuses to charge me..........

Now listen boy, I'm tryin' to teach you somethin'. That ain't an optical illusion, it only LOOKS LIKE an optical illusion.
t.r.
Levergunner 3.0

Post by t.r. »

I owned a model 71 for a time in the early 1970's. But I found the recoil to be intolerable for me and sold it. I bought a Marlin 336-A in 35 Remington. This model features a 24 inch barrel and same basic profile as the 71. The 35 is more accurate with its scope sight and recoil is moderate. For me the Marlin is a better rifle for deer and bear.

Marlin's mighty 444 basically replaced the .348 as a cartridge for truly large animals within reasonable distances. The 444 is still widely used across North America but the .348 had a production life of only about 20 years or so.

TR
Fire Up the Grill - Hunting is NOT Catch & Release!
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

I think I broke my backspace key :x
tman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by tman »

t.r. wrote:I owned a model 71 for a time in the early 1970's. But I found the recoil to be intolerable for me and sold it. I bought a Marlin 336-A in 35 Remington. This model features a 24 inch barrel and same basic profile as the 71. The 35 is more accurate with its scope sight and recoil is moderate. For me the Marlin is a better rifle for deer and bear.

Marlin's mighty 444 basically replaced the .348 as a cartridge for truly large animals within reasonable distances. The 444 is still widely used across North America but the .348 had a production life of only about 20 years or so.

TR
The 71 was discontinued because it was too expensive to make, and at some point, Winchester lost money on everyone it sold.Just look at what used examples of it go for :o . Even the "reissue" Browning copies go up in value. That speaks for itself :wink:
Levergunner 1.0

Post by 457121 »

you need to get rid of that useless 45-70 and get a real rifle like a 50-110. Or according to T.R. a 444 Marlin. :D