OT - rimfire accuracy and cartridge headspace variations

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

OT - rimfire accuracy and cartridge headspace variations

Post by AJMD429 »

This was an interesting article, and concluded that sorting .22 LR by rim thickness (i.e. headspace) was NOT particularly useful in helping accuracy.

http://www.gun-tests.com/performance/se ... kness.html

I wish someone would do an article like this on Paco's Acu'Rzr; I'll bet they'd find it helped quite a bit.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
JB
Senior Levergunner

Re: OT - rimfire accuracy and cartridge headspace variations

Post by JB »

AJMD429 wrote:This was an interesting article, and concluded that sorting .22 LR by rim thickness (i.e. headspace) was NOT particularly useful in helping accuracy.

http://www.gun-tests.com/performance/se ... kness.html

I wish someone would do an article like this on Paco's Acu'Rzr; I'll bet they'd find it helped quite a bit.
I never heard of the Acu'Rzer being used in any serious matches, but perhaps it's designed to help cheap promotional ammo.
jdad
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jdad »

Grouping the cartridges according to weight is much more productive. Even mid-priced match ammo like Wolf MT/SK Standard Plus will have some wide weight variables. As you get up to the Elex Tenex Red level, you get what you pay for.........http://www.championshooters.com/store/p ... 295&page=1
I know a whole lot about very little and nothing about a whole lot.
kasTX
Levergunner 1.0

Post by kasTX »

I ran some tests a few years ago to see if sorting by rim thickness made any difference. If I recall correctly it did, but I was using bulk 22LR, not the good stuff, and the difference was minor.

If you want to run some test yourself, the cheapest way is to use calipers and a fired 223 Remington case. Just drop the 22LR round nose first into the fired case, measure total length, then subtract the length of the fired case without the 22LR round in it. The difference is the rim thickness.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

kasTX wrote:If you want to run some test yourself, the cheapest way is to use calipers and a fired 223 Remington case. Just drop the 22LR round nose first into the fired case, measure total length, then subtract the length of the fired case without the 22LR round in it. The difference is the rim thickness.
Good idea there.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
jmiller
Levergunner 2.0

Post by jmiller »

jdad wrote:Grouping the cartridges according to weight is much more productive. Even mid-priced match ammo like Wolf MT/SK Standard Plus will have some wide weight variables. As you get up to the Elex Tenex Red level, you get what you pay for.........http://www.championshooters.com/store/p ... 295&page=1
Back in the mid 80s to early 90s when I was shooting handgun silhouette I tried every trick in the book to maximize accuracy. I found that the most important thing was using premium ammo and then sorting by weight. I actually had the best luck with Ely Standard (yes, I know this is their "intro" ammo) and CCI Gold Medal Target. Rim thickness didn't make nearly as much difference as weighing, and then finding out which weight/grouping shot the best. Something must have been working, I shot numerous 60x60s in state and regional matches and at the Region 1 championship I shot 9x10 shootoff chickens with a Browning Buckmark. At the International Championships I shot a 77x80 with a Ruger Single Six (convertable)!