RCBS or Redding for 38-55 Dies?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
salukijoe
Levergunner

RCBS or Redding for 38-55 Dies?

Post by salukijoe »

I have a 336 Cowboy in 38-55 coming my direction and need to order dies. RCBS or Redding...what say you?

Thanks.
Hobie

Re: RCBS or Redding for 38-55 Dies?

Post by Hobie »

I have RCBS. Works fine. More importantly I suggest that you get the correct long Starline brass.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
salukijoe
Levergunner

Post by salukijoe »

Thanks Hobie...2.125" Starline is already en route.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Either will get the job done. I have many RCBS die sets... and only one Redding, for my .30-06. I don't know that the Redding's any better than RCBS, but man, are they nice. I would like a set of their competition dies for my 7mmRemMag, but really, can't justify the expense...
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
southfork
Levergunner 2.0

Post by southfork »

I have been wondering about getting 38-55 dies too. My original vintage Winchester in 38-55 slugs out at .381 inch, which is a bigger diameter than the bullets used in Factory ammo today. I can get bullets cast in that .381 inch diameter, but will the reloading dies being sold today by either manufacturer handle the oversize bullets OK?
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

My RCBS dies will handle them. I have one seater die that is 30+ years old and another only about 6 or so years old (one each for the long and short brass) and both will handle the .381" bullets.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Cimarron
Levergunner 2.0
Location: North of the Cimarron River in Indian Territory (Oklahoma)

Post by Cimarron »

I don't shoot .38-55 but I've had great luck with RCBS. I got a new Redding catalog a few weeks ago and wish I could afford some of their stuff. :o
HOLY BLACK? YOU MUST MEAN PENNSYLVANIA ANTHRACITE!

"Get your guns boys! They are robbing the bank!" J.S.Allen, Sept. 7, 1876
wavetrain75
Levergunner 1.0

Post by wavetrain75 »

I have 1 set of RCBS dies and they will be my last set of RCBS dies, compared to Lee the RCBS look like they're cast out of recycled beer cans. But I do have to admit that they function as advertised.

IMO RCBS in general seems to be subpar quality, if I were to do it over I would avoid them completely. Although I appear to be in the minority. Redding makes nice stuff, I would go that route and never look back.

And now that we're supposed to tone down our rhetoric, can we call them "dies" anymore?
Lefty Dude
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lefty Dude »

I just bought a Handi Target Classic in 38-55. My bore slugs at .3795". I bought the RCBS Cowboy dies. These dies are designed for lead loading for over-bored and tight chambered bores. Winchester brass 2.080" length seated with a .380" bullet would not chamber in my Rifle. The Winchester brass measures .010" at the case mouth. The Starline is .007", much thinner necked. The RCBS Cowboy expander die comes with two expander balls, .376" and .379".
The .379" expander functions very well with the larger size cast bullets.

I use the Starline 2.125" Thin neck brass, as my chamber is long.

If you are buying new dies, spend a little extra and get the RCBS Cowboy Dies. :wink:
SASS# 51223
Arizona Cowboy Shooter's Assoc.
Cowtown Cowboy Shooter's Assoc.

Uberti 73/44-40 carbine, Rossi 92/44-40,
Marlin 94CB/44 24" Limited, Winchester 94/30-30
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 1886 »

If you are shooting cast, a .380 sized projectile should be fine. Hobie is correct about the Starline 2.125" brass and Lefty Dude is correct about the wall thickness at the neck. Get the proper sized expander. A .375"-.376" expander will be fine for hard cast projectiles sized .380". The Lee FCD is excellent but is too short for the 2.125" brass. I and others have petitioned Lee to make the correct die for the 2.125" brass. Lee will make a custom FC for you that is the proper length for $29.00. I like the Cowboy dies too but others work well as long as the expander is sized correctly. Marlin .38-55 CB are great shooters. Many wear a Badger barrel. Please let us know how you make out. 1886.
Kansas Ed
Senior Levergunner

Post by Kansas Ed »

I also dislike the RCBS. I have a couple of sets that are OK, but compared to the Redding...I have almost all Redding dies if that says anything. Lots of Lee too. The only RCBS I own are .32 spec. and 454. The quality of Redding are just plain hard to beat.

Ed
WinM71
Levergunner 2.0

Post by WinM71 »

I've had dozens of set of RCBS dies over the years, always top quality and perfect performance. The couple problems I've ever run into (operator error, not product quality), a phone call & replacement parts on the way free of charge. For my money, the RCBS product just leaves nothing to be desired.
My mind reader refuses to charge me..........

Now listen boy, I'm tryin' to teach you somethin'. That ain't an optical illusion, it only LOOKS LIKE an optical illusion.
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

I have yet to see the first bad RCBS die. There must be one out there somewhere but none of my 20+ sets are in that category.
Redding is great quality and I do have several sets from them.
win38-55
Levergunner 2.0

Post by win38-55 »

The RCBS dies do work, but only sub par in my opinion. When reloading with Cast Performance Bullet LFNGC .378 dia.
The Bullet seating dies leaves a real nice ring around the tip of every bullet. If this does still not scare you away from
RCBS dies in 38-55. You can contact me and I will sell you a set of dies that only loaded a few bullets, until I got sick
of looking at them destroy my bullets. :cry: Get the Lee dies they are alot better.
Andrew: He is a real gun freak with way too many guns to shoot or clean.
2X22
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 2X22 »

Chuck 100 yd wrote:I have yet to see the first bad RCBS die. There must be one out there somewhere but none of my 20+ sets are in that category.
Redding is great quality and I do have several sets from them.
+1. I probably have 75 sets of RCBS dies and I haven't EVER seen a problem. Of course, I've only been reloading for a bit over 40 years..... :mrgreen: I also really appreciate the quality of Redding.

2x22
"Yes, we did produce a near-perfect republic. But will they keep it? Or will they, in the enjoyment of plenty, lose the memory of freedom? Material abundance without character is the path of destruction." - Thomas Jefferson
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

One issue with dies, for you that seem to have problem with RCBS, is that like sizers, you may need a different shaped bullet seater. It's why I have 2 different 45ACP die sets, 2 sets of .45Colt dies plus another 2 self-modified seater plugs, for a total of FOUR different seater plugs. RCBS doesn't catalog any, and I don't know if they'd offer 'em, but I think they'd be worth the few extra bucks. (I did just send them a question on this). A round nose plug WILL work with a truncated cone, but... it can mar the bullet. Don't ask me how I know; if I didn't use a VERY hard cast TC bullet in my .45Colts I suspect I'd end up with a more rounded edge at the top of the flat nose. A good friend of mine uses JB Weld to form his own seaters. He gets perfectly aligned bullets and no marring of his cast bullets, no matter how soft.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!
morgan in nm
Levergunner 3.0

Post by morgan in nm »

I too love both RCBS and Redding dies but another option out there is lyman dies. I went with Lyman myself for 38-55 because of the cost and have been happy. However, I don't have any starline brass as I am still sitting on 500+ winchester brass so I don't know if they will work for the longer cases.
Mike D.
***Rock Star***

Post by Mike D. »

I have both Lee and Lyman .38-55 dies, but mostly use the Lee with factory crimp die. I cannot justify the extra expense for the RCBS die set. I have many RCBS dies and live close enough to Oroville to drive up there, but seldom do.
"Congressmen who willfully take actions during wartime that damage morale, and undermine the military are saboteurs and should be arrested, exiled or hanged"....President Abraham Lincoln
Cimarron Red
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Cimarron Red »

I started loading the .38-55 with a set of RCBS dies, and I was satisfied with them. Then I began shooting NRA lever action silhouettes and wanted to get more accuracy from my reloads. I added a Redding Competition Seating die that seats the bullet with greater concentricity. Next I went to a separate crimp die, a Lee Factory Crimp die, but in a search for a better crimp I bought a Redding Profile Crimp die. I had been using such a die for the .45-70 and .32-20; I'm very pleased with the results. I also shoot the longer (correct length) Starline brass.
Levergunner 1.0

Post by 457121 »

wavetrain75 wrote:I have 1 set of RCBS dies and they will be my last set of RCBS dies, compared to Lee the RCBS look like they're cast out of recycled beer cans. But I do have to admit that they function as advertised.

IMO RCBS in general seems to be subpar quality, if I were to do it over I would avoid them completely. Although I appear to be in the minority. Redding makes nice stuff, I would go that route and never look back.

And now that we're supposed to tone down our rhetoric, can we call them "dies" anymore?
i agree that RCBS dies of current manufacture do look horrible, i won't buy them. i have dozens of sets of RCBS from the '70's and '80's that have great finish quality. they make current production look really bad. i have Lyman 38-55 dies and had to make a .380" expander for the 'M' die on the lathe as the supplied one was .374" and my Win.94 needs .381" cast bullets.
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

win38-55 wrote:The RCBS dies do work, but only sub par in my opinion. When reloading with Cast Performance Bullet LFNGC .378 dia.
The Bullet seating dies leaves a real nice ring around the tip of every bullet.
If this does still not scare you away from
RCBS dies in 38-55. You can contact me and I will sell you a set of dies that only loaded a few bullets, until I got sick
of looking at them destroy my bullets. :cry: Get the Lee dies they are alot better.
That is a function of the seating stem. You have to have one that fits your particular bullet nose. NO stem fits ALL bullet noses.
Sincerely,

Hobie

win38-55
Levergunner 2.0

Post by win38-55 »

Hobie wrote:
win38-55 wrote:The RCBS dies do work, but only sub par in my opinion. When reloading with Cast Performance Bullet LFNGC .378 dia.
If this does still not scare you away from
That is a function of the seating stem. You have to have one that fits your particular bullet nose. NO stem fits ALL bullet noses.
Where would I go about getting the correct seating stem for my Rcbs dies at?
If it's that simple than I feel like a real maroon. :D Thanks Hobie.
Andrew: He is a real gun freak with way too many guns to shoot or clean.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 1886 »

Seating stems from other die manufactures will probably fit. Threads should match. If you want to contact RCBS customer service, their phone # is (800) 533-5000. RCBS will generally ship the part to you at no charge to you. Call Monday-Thursday and call early. They get busy. 1886.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

win38-55 wrote:
Hobie wrote:
If this does still not scare you away from RCBS dies in 38-55. You can contact me and I will sell you a set of dies that only loaded a few bullets, until I got sick of looking at them destroy my bullets. :cry: Get the Lee dies they are alot better.
Where would I go about getting the correct seating stem for my Rcbs dies at?
If it's that simple than I feel like a real maroon. :D Thanks Hobie.
As I said in my earlier post, I asked and now the've answered:
RCBS wrote:CUSTOM SEATER PLUGS

RCBS realizes that one plug can not be made to fit all the different profile of bullets available. For this reason, the Special Order shop will custom build a plug to fit the profile of the bullet you wish to use.

RCBS will require 3 sample bullets, the diameter of the seater stem in the die you are having the plug made for and the caliber. RCBS makes seater plugs in 1/4x 28 and 1/2x 20. Without this information, the Custom Shop can not start the plug, which will delay the order. The cost for the custom plug is $16.95 plus $4.50 s/h.

The cost for the Competition Seat plug (must be the new dies with the 0-ring) is $26.95 plus $4.50s/h.

Please include your name, address, and telephone number. Also, include a MasterCard, Visa or American Express, with the expiration date and security code on the back of the card. You can send in a check or money order if you prefer but please do not send cash. Send the sample bullets to: RCBS, 605 Oro Dam Blvd E., Oroville, CA 95965. The process will take approximately 2 to 4 weeks to complete.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

I've got 20+ sets of RCBS dies and the only time I had a problem was with my set for the 38-55.
My particular set was sent with the wrong bullet seater and was actually meant for a .375 H&H.
The Lady at in customer service was very appologetic and sent the right one out next day air free of charge.
RCBS will have a life long customer.

I have Redding dies too. Nothing but good stuff to say about them.
As far as i can tell either will do for a couple lifetimes.

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
veeman
Levergunner 2.0

Post by veeman »

I have been using Lyman dies for years, never had any problems whatsoever, in any caliber.
BigSky56
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BigSky56 »

+1 for Lee dies with a factory crimp especially if you end up crimping the bullet where theres no crimp grove. danny
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 1886 »

Unless Lee is now offering the FCD in a longer length, it will not be suitable for the 2.125" brass. Lee will make one suitable for the 2.125" brass for $29.00. Supply 2 dummy rounds with your check. Make sure they are dummy rounds! 1886.
Sigmoid
Levergunner

Post by Sigmoid »

Hi, guys!

I'm a newb to both this forum and the concept of loading cast bullets in straight-wall cases. Having just received my Marlin 336-C back from JES reboring where it was bored again (born again?) as a .38-55.

I guess I should also say that I'm quite experienced in handloading of modern/bottleneck cartridges but I could use some advice on this new (old) stuff.

First, JES suggested that H4895 between 20 and 25 grains for cast bullets. I loaded 15 rounds at 22.5g under a Montana Cast Bullets .376 220g bullet for sight-in loads. They shot pretty well for a first-pass load but I see two issues:

First, the Lee Pace setter dies (recommended by JES) tend to push the slug into the case slightly off center. A bulge is visible on one side of the loaded cartridge but not on the other. I've tried to align the case and bullet the best I can but this happens on just about every cartridge. Does anyone have a way to get the bullets in straighter WITHOUT purchasing a high-dollar competition seater die? I have these for my .223 and .17 Mach !V die sets and they work great but I'm trying to economize.

Second, at this load level, the primers are backing out of the cases slightly. I seat them by feel using an RCBS hand tool and when ejected, the primers in the fired cases are protruding a tiny bit on all of the cases...my eyeball estimate is about 3 to 5 thousandths of an inch. Any comments?

Thanks,
Sig