"Follow Me" Major Richard Winters RIP

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
BigSky56
Advanced Levergunner

"Follow Me" Major Richard Winters RIP

Post by BigSky56 »

Dick Winters of Easy Company passed the 2 nd of Janurary , He and his men's story was told in the Band Of Brothers series. RIP. danny
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Re: "Follow Me" Major Richard Winters RIP

Post by vancelw »

BigSky56 wrote:Dick Winters of Easy Company passed the 2 nd of Janurary , He and his men's story was told in the Band Of Brothers series. RIP. danny
Yeah, we're rapidly loosing them all. I wished I'd have asked more questions when I was a kid. I didn't know my step Great grandpa was a veteran of the Great War until he was nearly 100 and couldn't remember much. His eyes told the story when he mentioned the trenches, though.

RIP
"Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world." - Thomas Carlyle
Rube Burrows
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rube Burrows »

BigSky56 wrote:Dick Winters of Easy Company passed the 2 nd of Janurary , He and his men's story was told in the Band Of Brothers series. RIP. danny

It saddens me to hear this. I cant believe its not on all of the major news networks.

May he rest in peace.
cshold
Advanced Levergunner

Post by cshold »

Rube Burrows wrote:

It saddens me to hear this. I cant believe its not on all of the major news networks.
May he rest in peace.
From what I understand, he didn’t want a public announcement made until
after his private funeral.
Gobblerforge
Senior Levergunner

Post by Gobblerforge »

Band of Brothers is one of my favorite series. As told by the men that were in Easy, not just Hollywood.
God Bless, Major Winters. Rest in peace, now.
Gobbler
Click Click Boom
olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by olyinaz »

Very sad. RIP.

Oly
Cheers,
Oly

I hope and pray someday the world will learn
That fires we don't put out will bigger burn

Johnny Wright
Rube Burrows
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rube Burrows »

casastahle wrote:
Rube Burrows wrote:

May he rest in peace.

I guess so but his funeral was the 8th from what I read and still nothing on the news last night.
rock-steady
Levergunner 2.0

Post by rock-steady »

Currahee! Major Winters.
"People who need long explanations at moments when everything depends on instinct have always irritated me." ~ Guy Sajer
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

Sorry to hear that. I've got a maternal uncle that was over there and with Easy Co.
Old Law Dawg
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

I have a huge amount of respect and admiration for this man. I am confident he is at the best reunion he's been to in a long time.

R.I.P. Sir
"Oh bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round.
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

casastahle wrote:
Rube Burrows wrote:

May he rest in peace.
Yep. A modest hero even at the end. What a class act.

As mentioned, we're losing them much too fast now. I spoke to my Uncle last week. He was in the 29th Infantry Division when it hit Omaha Beach on D-Day. Fought through the end of the war in Europe. Fortunately he is in good health and very active. He lost his wife a couple years back, but is still going stong, helping in his community. Another hero in a generation of them...
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

My best friend, a Marine from his youth, had this to say on the subject when I gave him the bad news:
No, I didn’t… aw man, we lost a great piece of American Leadership History in that guy. His impromptu attack on Breacourt Manor on D-Day is still demonstrated at West Point today on how to execute an out-manned attack against a fortified position. He took 12 other guys and hastily assaulted an entrenched enemy position of unknown number (later known to be about 60 Germans with interlocking heavy machine gun fire) just to knock out 4 heavy guns firing on Utah Beach. To put that in perspective: he got orders about 6:30 am to go silence those guns “in that hedgerow over there”, by 8:30 he had planned and commenced his attack, and by 8:45 Winters had won the Distinguished Service Cross, 3 others of that group the Silver Star, and all the rest the Bronze Star. One KIA, one WIA… 13 men in the open attacking 60 entrenched… Quite an amazing story really. He was just one of those guys in the right place, at the right time, bearing the highest of leadership gifts. Thanks for sharing!

I agree with an above poster that his reunion up above is a magnificent one.

-Tutt
"It ain't dead! As long as there's ONE COWBOY taking care of ONE COW, it ain't dead!!!" (the Cowboy Way)
-Monte Walsh (Selleck version)

"These battered wings still kick up dust." -Peter Gabriel
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

rock-steady wrote:Currahee! Major Winters.
By the way, the book by that name is an excellent read on the 101st. There are three others in the series, The Road to Arnhen, Seven Roads to Hell, and Beyond the Rhine.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
Rafe Covington
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Rafe Covington »

A brave man and a true PATRIOT has left us, God Bless him.

Rafe Covington
Death Before Dishonor
66GTO
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 66GTO »

Maj. Winters, as he said, served in a Company of hero's. He was a humble but remarkable man.

The "Band of Brothers" series meant a lot to me. My Dad served in the 101st Airborne during the war. He arrived in Europe just in time for Bastogne. I wish my Dad had lived long enough to watch the "Band of Brothers" with me. It might have caused him to open up more about his war experiences. He talked little of the war, mostly about how cold he was that terrible winter and how he hated the German 88's firing tree bursts over their frozen fox holes. He caught pneumonia at Bastogne and was sent to a hospital in France to recover. I remember him telling me he couldn't sleep in the hospital bed because it was too soft. He had become accustomed to sleeping on the frozen ground, so he slept on the hospital floor.

Lt. Richard Winters Leadership Project: http://easycompany.legacyconnect.com/

Rest in peace Maj. Winters.
Is life so dear or peace so sweet as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take, but as for me, give me liberty, or give me death! P Henry

When the Government fears the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the Government, there is tyranny.T Jefferson
Scharms
Levergunner

Post by Scharms »

The WWII generation is a rapidly diminishing treasure. Both of my Grandfathers served in the Army, one fighting the Japanese on the Aleutian islands, the other with 1st Calvary in the Pacific theater. Both are gone a long time now...
Those men who came of age in the war were the best America had, I often wonder if they're rolling in their graves when they see what's become of the country today...
"I prefer the company of peasants because they have not been educated sufficiently to reason incorrectly" -Michel de Montaigne
olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by olyinaz »

Scharms wrote:The WWII generation is a rapidly diminishing treasure. Both of my Grandfathers served in the Army, one fighting the Japanese on the Aleutian islands, the other with 1st Calvary in the Pacific theater. Both are gone a long time now...
Those men who came of age in the war were the best America had, I often wonder if they're rolling in their graves when they see what's become of the country today...
I think that Maj. Winters would be quite proud of our Army today and the fantastic job those wonderful men and women have done in two challenging theaters of war for going on a decade now. Older people have always said that the young are going to heck in a bucket and America has known greater difficulties in the past than today, so even though it's easy to get down I reject most of the negativity as a popular pity party and I wonder if Maj. Winters didn't as well. I don't know, just wondering...

Oly
Cheers,
Oly

I hope and pray someday the world will learn
That fires we don't put out will bigger burn

Johnny Wright
Scharms
Levergunner

Post by Scharms »

olyinaz wrote:
Scharms wrote:The WWII generation is a rapidly diminishing treasure. Both of my Grandfathers served in the Army, one fighting the Japanese on the Aleutian islands, the other with 1st Calvary in the Pacific theater. Both are gone a long time now...
I think that Maj. Winters would be quite proud of our Army today and the fantastic job those wonderful men and women have done in two challenging theaters of war for going on a decade now. Older people have always said that the young are going to heck in a bucket and America has known greater difficulties in the past than today, so even though it's easy to get down I reject most of the negativity as a popular pity party and I wonder if Maj. Winters didn't as well. I don't know, just wondering...

Oly
I'm sure that Maj. Winters would be proud of our Army today, I was referring to the leadership in the white house and the direction they're attempting to turn the country. Of course my Grandfather often stated that the last good president was Eisenhower... :wink:
"I prefer the company of peasants because they have not been educated sufficiently to reason incorrectly" -Michel de Montaigne
jd45
Levergunner 3.0

Post by jd45 »

On the one hand I was shocked & surprised to see his pic on my Internet home page news, with the announcement of his passing; on the other, I had been dreading it for a long time. I signed the petition to have his DSC upgraded to MOH several years ago, & I was really disappointed he didn't get recognized. Next to LTC Anthony Bernard Herbert, (Vietnam-173rd Airborne Brigade) I would've been honored to serve under him, even if it meant the loss of my life in combat. jd45
OJ
Levergunner 3.0

Post by OJ »

RIP - SIR !!
OJ KING
SEMPER FI
DUTY, HONOR, COUNTRY
NRA LIFE MEMBER
JohndeFresno
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JohndeFresno »

He lives on through his legacy, and those of his comrades.
Hand Salute.
claybob86
Senior Levergunner

Post by claybob86 »

OJ wrote:RIP - SIR !!
I think you said that just right! 8)
Have you hugged your rifle today?
Irelander
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Irelander »

One of the bravest, toughest, most honest, gentle men in history. Probably the greatest leader I have ever heard of. He will be missed.
The time has come to stand for all we believe in.

Glock Certified Armorer
bdhold

Post by bdhold »

all part of life.
It's fantastic that his story will be told for a generation and maybe more.
Not forgotten.