OT - (new Small Tractor question) Snow/Ice removal

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

OT - (new Small Tractor question) Snow/Ice removal

Post by AJMD429 »

[edit] - see second page of this thread for snow/ice removal questions... (thanks :) )

I just wondered what experience or tidbits others here might have to share on purchase of a small tractor.

My nephew's tractor is no longer 'on loan' to us, and we really need a 4-wheel drive tractor for moving farrowing huts, flipping our 20 cubic yard compost pile, moving gravel occasionally, scraping snow, etc. Maximum price including implements needs to be around $12-15,000.

To fit in the places we 'go' it should be not much over 5 ft. in width.

Our options I guess include:
  • Used tractor from dealer
    Used tractor from individual
    New tractor
My reservations on the 'used' ones is that I know NOTHING about engine or other repairs, so I'm sure I'd miss something important that wasn't good, and a new one would at least have some sort of warranty, plus hopefully not have any major issues for the first few years. The other thing is although it might save some money, it seems like with my nephew's, we wound up replacing all four tires, hydraulic hoses, then pretty soon the pump, ignition switch, etc., and all that cost more than the difference vs. a new one.

Our useage wouldn't be very heavy, and we don't need something big enough to front-end load into a dump-truck, but perhaps into a pick-up truck. We'd probably use it 50 hours a year. If we need to back-hoe, rental of a 'commercial' one isn't that costly around here, and I've never seen an affordable one to come close to the ruggedness and power of the ones we can rent.

I was looking this one from Northern Tool, actually - http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/ ... _200445937

It seemed to have what we needed, but is a made-in-China item. Unfortunately, half of what is "made" in U.S. is actually really just "assembled" in U.S., and if it has to do with Union Labor, 'made in the U.S.' doesn't strike a chord of patriotism in me as much as irritation at some of the things unions have done to the nation as a whole, and of late, to their members as well.

The dealers I've checked (briefly so far) have only had 2-wheel-drive ones in the 'used' category, and all have had tires on the verge of dry-rot.
Last edited by AJMD429 on Fri Jan 07, 2011 10:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Re: OT - want to buy a small 4wd tractor

Post by RIHMFIRE »

Check out traderonline
http://www.equipmenttraderonline.com/types/tractor/
just remember most of these are over priced....haggle with them..
take a ride through the country....I have been seeing tractor for
sale on the side of the road....
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

I see a lot of people around here wit Kubotas. I know they've been here since at least 1975. That's when I started paying attention to them. Never have heard a bad word about them.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
mouthpiece
Levergunner 2.0

Post by mouthpiece »

Don't have a tractor but lot of neighbors haave Russian-made equipment. Maybe that's because there's a dealer nearby.
PATM
Levergunner

Post by PATM »

I owned a "99" New Holland 1720 4x4 w/ loader, that tractor did what ever I asked it to do. If you can find a NH 1720 or 1920 in good shape I would buy it.
They are good solid tractors. Loading a dump truck with any smaller sub-compact tractor would be a problem due to the max lift height of the loader. I would
think that you should be able to find a NH for well under 10k. Most tractors are made outside the US, sometimes they are assembled here.
tattoo13
Levergunner 1.0

Post by tattoo13 »

I work for a Kubota dealer and they are great tractors in that price range you should be able to get a L2800 with a loader and if you are patient Kubota will do 0% financing.
If you are willing to take a road trip we have a very nice Mahindra with a BushHog loader they are asking $12,900, we also have a L2800 with a Kubota loader for $13,500, and we have a little older Kubota B2710 with a Kubota loader for $9,900.
All are nice tractors that would serve your purpose.
If you want to know anything else you can email me at tattoo13 at gmail.com
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

When the wife and I bought the place we're at now we decided to buy a small tractor. We bought a Branson 42 hp 4X4 with backhoe and front bucket. We've picked up a number of attachments for the three point. We are constantly saying we couldn't of done this or that without the tractor. From plowing snow, clearing rock, mowing, packing stuff, using the backhoe, etc... It's got a Cummins 3 cyl. diesel engine that, so far, has ran like a champ. Starting summer or winter without a hitch. With our experience with this one I wouldn't hesitate to buy another one if we needed to. Sometimes I think I'd like a bigger one, but then I use the one we have in a small confined space and I'm glad we have the one we do.
Old Law Dawg
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Doc,
Buy a new one. I ran a John Deere for 30 years and frankly, I was tired of turning wrenches. A couple of year ago I did some major research and talked to several buddies of mine who own landscaping business's. They all told me without hesitation, Kubota.

Yea, I know. I have put my foot in my mouth here on the board about badmouthing the Japs but in this case, well, I can't compare guns to tractors. I had to come up with some kind of an excuse to save face.

Its a Model 7800---hydrostatic--no shifting required :D

Anyway, the below pictured Kubota has a 60" mowing deck, loader, and a 4 cylinder diesel engine. I have pulled my old yellow Jeep out of the mud with it and it did not break a tread. I love it. 4 wheel drive with high/low/medium range. 3 point hitch. It mows our 4 acres in no time flat, plows the driveway and any other fun things I can think of. It set me back 17 g's. Other Kubotas that are a bit smaller don't cost a whole lot less so I went with this one. It will outlast me and thats how I like to buy things.-----------Sixgun

1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

Hobie

Post by Hobie »

You should also drop a line to Jeff Quinn about his tractor for particulars.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Batman1939
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Batman1939 »

As soon as I read your question I thought of Kubotas. I know several guys who have them and are happy with their performance. I can't speak from personal experience, but several other forum members obviously seem in favor of them as well. Good luck- I'd like to buy a new tractor.
bhk
Levergunner

Post by bhk »

I have a Kubota L3400 that I bought new about five years ago. It has been great and I have not had a single issue with it. The L series Kubotas are heavy enough to be really tough, yet small enough to fit through the tight spots on my wood roads. One of the better investments I have made. It will certainly last longer than me.
dkmlever
Levergunner 3.0

Post by dkmlever »

I own a Kubota 30-30 Named "Chester" cause the most famous 30-30 I know is a Winchester!
It is a great small tractor, I purchased a front mounted pto driven snow blower, a rear blade for grading the drive, and a rear mounted pto driven winch for tree removal. A handy add on is a set of Paynes clamp on forks, they work very well for many projects.
the kubotas are not cheap but if you use it a fair amount they are worth the price.
BigSky56
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BigSky56 »

The warranties are all about the same 2 years, a used skid steer bobcat is 21/2 to 3K$ and would probably do all you need except plowing. danny
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

Don't buy anything you don't have a local dealer for. That way when you need parts you'll stand a better chance of getting the right ones the first time.
Also get more horsepower than you think you need. If you think you need 30 don't get anything less than 50. The bigger tractor will handle the work better, and manytimes can be bought for less than the lilguy.
Check your local dealers first, often times they'll stand behind their used tractors for a short while. It might cost a bit more on the outset, but could save you bigtime in the long run. I bought a Zetor that was supposed to be a really good tractor, had a rebuilt engine in it with only a few hours. Well long story short the generic dealer I bought it from wouldn't stand behind it when the connecting rod and piston sailed out the side of the block between the cab and the loader just as I closed the cab door and started to sit down, with 3 hours on the meter since it was delivered. Neither would the guy that supposedly rebuilt the engine... 12K and a month later it came back home from the Zetor dealer with a new engine and it's been a good tractor in the 5 years since.
Pick a good brand, John Deere, Case IH, Agco etc.
GoatGuy
Senior Levergunner

Post by GoatGuy »

The small kobotas are good machines. Bought a '98 model 7800 (17 hp) some 5 years ago and only recently bought a larger NH because the Kobota didn't have a loader and other goodies we needed, and the B7800 max size for rotary cutter is 4 feet. Bought the '02 NH N75 recently from a neighbor, a widow whose husband bought it new and was a stickler for maintaining his equipment. Looked at other used, smaller HP tractors, but went with this big boy as I know it had been well maintained and with dealers or other owner/sellers, I never could know how someone else had taken care of their tractor before selling or trading it in. Side note, we've kept the B7800 for use where the larger tractor would be more difficult to manuever. Did alot of work (mowing, hauling, fencing, etc.) with the little Kobota and had no maintenance issues with it. Like it alot!
"If a man does away with his traditional way of living and throws away his good customs, he had better first make certain that he has something of value to replace them." - Basuto proverb.
stretch
Advanced Levergunner

Post by stretch »

4 of my neighbors have such tractors - three are Kubotas, and one
is a Massey-Ferguson (he had an old John Deere years ago). All
have small diesels. They're all reliable. Two have small backhoes,
all have buckets, and two are outfitted with snowblowers. The
snowblowers are AWESOME - I'm sure that some of the flurries you
get in Indiana originate in Maine..... :wink: There's also IH and Ford
to consider. The small tractor market is now VERY competitive, and
it's my opinion that any of the above brands will give good service

Were I in your shoes, I'd find the best local dealer in terms of service
and buy brandy-new what he's standing behind. (Around here the Kubota dealer
is terrific, as is the IH dealer). Yeah, it'll probably cost a little more
money, but you'll happily pay for it over hassle and heartache.

I would not buy a Mahindra or anything made
in China if you don't like mechanical-type tinkering. Yes, they're only
tractors, but my experience with the Indian- or Chinese-made
mechanical devices is that for the most part they're simply not up to
western standards.

Just my two cents!

-Stretch
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

? - ? - ? - Hydrostatic vs. Manual transmission... ? - ? - ?
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

Hydro is better for a loader or baler tractor. Manual will pull better and is cheaper to fix if you loose the clutch.
pwl44m
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pwl44m »

AJMD429 wrote:? - ? - ? - Hydrostatic vs. Manual transmission... ? - ? - ?
Hydro, and don't let anyone talk U out of it.
Perry in Bangor----++++===Calif
adirondakjack
Senior Levergunner

Post by adirondakjack »

I'd look for a used Kubota diesel, geared tranny model. Less hassles than hydro down the road, and power and rugged for the size can't be beat.
Certified gun nut
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

What Danny said about a used skid steer has merit, because i am in that same boat too ---- a Bobcat will do a lot more for me than a compact tractor (except for cuttin' the lawn)

but in my neck of the woods, a used B'Cat or any other quality skid steer with decxent hours starts at 7 or 8k.

My lawnmower is a JD 670 with a 60" belly mower ---- it rocks !
----- Doug
Bruce
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Bruce »

I have a John Deere and it does what I want and more. My recommendations are:

There is a good used market right now, so be patient and look.

The "new" market is pretty good also.

Make sure there is a dealer resonably nearby who sells and repairs your brand - has parts if you will.

I have a Hydro transmission and highly recommend one.

Give careful consideration to whether you want/need turf type tires vs. regular tractor tires. If you for any reason have an area that you do not want to tear up (pristine yard), go w/ the turf tires.

Don't buy cheezy implements.

A good preventative maintenance program goes a long way towards keeping workable equipment.

A front end bucket is handy when you need it and a pain when you don't. Not that I've ever clipped a fence in tight turning quarters because I had it in the down position - but I have heard others have.

Don't loan it out. :lol:
http://www.pumprifle.org/
Bruce Hamlin's Pump Rifle Forum
bhk
Levergunner

Post by bhk »

My Kubota L3400 I mentioned above is a geared model. I also use a hydro John Deere for some of the prairie restoration work I do for the state. I much prefer the geared model. Just me, I guess. The geared Kubotas have a 'quick shift' lever in addition to the regular manual transmission lever. The quick shift lever sits by your left hand and goes from forward (whatever forward gear you happen to be in) to reverse (and back, of course) in a flash. You almost have to try it to understand it. Works real well.
tattoo13
Levergunner 1.0

Post by tattoo13 »

For work around the house the hydro is very nice, getting in and out of small areas and working close to things is a lot easier than with a clutched model.
In the 8+ years I have worked on Kubotas I have only had to fix one Hydrostat trans, and that was a badly abused tractor.
I have only been into two geared transmissions, and have had to replace a few clutchs (on small tractors).
If you want some tips on checking out a used tractor (any brand) you can email me or private message me and I will give you my phone number.
ndcowboy
Levergunner 2.0

Post by ndcowboy »

We run a Versatile 150 tractor for feeding all winter long. It is a hydro tractor with four wheel drive. Of course, they haven't been made in a while, but if you find one, it will be within your budget. They are a heck of a tractor.
dennie
Levergunner 2.0

Post by dennie »

AJMD429, I bought a new 4x4 Mahindra 2815 with Hydro 3 years ago. It has a front end loader. It was delivered to me in my driveway for nearly $4000 of the sticker price. There was no sales tax due to me using it on our small farm. Yes, it was a couple grand over your budget, (I paid $15,900). MY 3 year warranty is now up, but I have had no issues with it at all. Well, there were several loose bolts on the loader mounts and front axle, but these were due to these parts being assembled here in the USA, probably by union workers. My tractor was built in Japan. Depends on the Mahindra model where the build is. I love the hydro on mine for cutting grass, plowing snow, and general around the farm chores. Unless you will be plowing or need a lot of torque from the git-go, the hydro will be great.

I also will recommend that you check out the Kubotas. Probably "the best" small tractors out there.
And yes, make sure you get a diesel engine for more power, less fuel usage, and less maintenance.
Good luck with your search.
NRA Benefactor Member/Bluegrass Picker
33wcfshooter
Levergunner 1.0

Post by 33wcfshooter »

We run mostly John Deere and Agco Allis and White on the farm but have had good luck with a smaller Kioti for use as a small barn cleaner and for back up if the bigger ones break. It seems to hold up well but we have a dealer near for parts. I've heard good things about Mahindra but don't have any pesonal experiance with them. We looked at Kabota but ended up going away from them because they don't hold up to real farm use(there not rated for the use we put on equipment with round bales and cleaning barns), but for just light duty like you mentioned you should be fine.I know you said your not into fixing them but a good thing if there are farms or construction outfits selling out around you it's worth checking to see what they have forsale just make sure there is a dealer around for parts and fixing.Sometimes you can get a great deal on real good rigs at these sales. Hope this helps.
JHarold
Levergunner 2.0

Post by JHarold »

I have a kubota B9200 geared, in use for over 25 years, just replaced the front tires, battery, keeps on ticking. change oil and filters, lube and keep it out of the weather. loader, mower, tiller, all get used.
would not hesitate on buying a new one, if this one ever gives up,
rafter-7
Levergunner 2.0

Post by rafter-7 »

I would seriously consider a Bobcat for what you want done and if you need something special you can always rent the attachment you will need.

there is over 50 different attachments for a bobcat from post hole diggers to road graders and lawn mowers to snow blowers the list seams endless.

http://www.bobcat.com/loaders/attachments/overview

and there is more than just this list when you consider jobber attachments that are out there

^
Grizzly Adams
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Grizzly Adams »

I have an L3400 HST Kubota with front end loader. Sweeeeeeeet! :D
If you can read this, thank a teacher. If you can read this in English, thank a Vet!
COMNAVFORV, Vietnam 68-70
NRA Life, SASS Life, Banjo picking done cheap!

Quyana cekneq, Neva
Thunder50
Senior Levergunner

Post by Thunder50 »

With some of the China stuff, at least the small dozers, I have heard of soft steel in the gears.

I run a 420 JD for my lawn (60" mower also) ,with hydro, but would have preferred a manual.

Thats whats on my JD 950 (bucket and backhoe) and my Massey Ferguson 135 that I use for 3pt implements.

That said, If I was to replace one of the bigger tractors I have and came across a nice Kubota, I wouldn't turn it down. I hear that they are really good tractors and hold up well.

I have about 900 hrs on the JD, with very litte problems. The MF135 has about 600hrs and except for power steering problems (Massey mechanics could never fix, but John Deere mechanics found problem first time around) it has been a great tractor. Course, its a '73 model , so they probably don't make them like that anymore.

Go with a JD or a Kubota.
The meek shall inherit the earth, but I reserve the mineral rights!
All the knowledge in the world, is of no use to fools! (Eagles-long road out of Eden)
pwl44m
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pwl44m »

Hey Doc !! here is a Front Loader for Ya. I know that some have indicated that U should get a little more than U need. Will this do what U need done?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Perry in Bangor----++++===Calif
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Well, John Deere may be the brand, because after looking around the area for service centers, and then asking about the ones I found, there is a John Deere dealer and service center just 15 minutes from my house and several locals say they have treated them right. Prices on their smaller stuff is lower than I expected, which was a pleasant surprise.

So. . . I've kind of narrowed my 'short list' down to their 2520 and 3032E.

The 3032 E weighs a bit more and is a bit larger (not all that much of either), but the extra size is affordable due to the bucket being NON-removable. The downsides of the bit of extra weight and power is that there is no ability to add a 'mid' PTO to it for under-body mower or front attachments, and much of our space where we'd use it is small, in between buildings or fence-lanes or whatever, where the ability of removing the loader would be NICE.

When we (rarely) need a 'big' tractor or backhoe or dozer, we can rent one - tractor/backhoe for $400/weekend or dozer for $1,000/weekend, and those needs happen maybe once every five years. So although I don't want something 'wimpy', either of the above seem to be able to meet our needs, except for I'm not sure what we're going to do about packed snow/ice.

The ONLY thing we've ever had on-hand that worked for our driveway was the JD-650 bulldozer. It's gravel, but due to the terrain and sun and shadows, tends quickly to get very hard-packed snow or ice to the point that you have to put on cleats just to walk 30 feet to the truck. Even the 4wd truck will slide around on the driveway, if we've had it 'scraped' but then the remaining snow thaws and remelts as ice, yet leaving deep snow stalls the cars out, and eventually packs to an ice-rink anyway.

The front-end loader on the 1800-lb John Deere of my nephew's we had wouldn't do much unless we picked the snow all up and carried it bucket-by-bucket somewhere, and the rear scraper-blade did move snow to the side reasonably well, but we could definitely NOT do anything when there was a half-inch or so of ice on top of the frozen gravel. When we had the bulldozer, of course the sheer weight of it plus having metal treads, caused the ice to break up, then a quick push with the blade would move gravel and ice to a pile, which we'd back-drag so at least we had gravel mixed in and on top of the ice for traction.

What do you 'northern' folks use for packed snow and ice...?

Here's other snow/ice options I find when I look for attachments for small tractors:
  • front-mount snow-blowers (only available for the 2520 and expensive)
    rear-mount snow-blowers (either tractor, not as expensive)
    angled snow-pushing blades to clamp to a front-end loader bucket
    cleats to put on a front-end loader bucket (maybe they would break ice)
    rear scraper (maybe there's better ones than what we used, but it was useless on iced gravel)
    'sub-soiler' single-spike that goes on 3-point hitch (should be strong, but would need many passes)
    various hefts of 'box scrapers' with tines.
Anyone with thoughts on these? For just the snow, I could see not having to have the blower on the front, since we only do our own driveways and wouldn't be getting a stiff-neck from using it 8 hours a day looking while backing up, but I've never seen/used either a front or rear snow blower. For the ice-busting I'm most 'hopeful' about the box-blade with tines, figuring if they can break up hard-pan clay like they say, they should help us out. I don't mind replacing tines every so often if the unit itself wouldn't be harmed by such use.

I could get up on the roof and shoot a few hundred rounds of .308 at the ice to bust it up, but that ammo is just getting too expensive... :lol:

Don McDowell

Re: OT - (new Small Tractor question) Snow/Ice removal

Post by Don McDowell »

A good 6 ft 3pt mounted blade combined with a frontend loader can move/poke holes thru some terrible deep and crusted snow drifts. Plus the blade can be used in the nicer times to keep the driveway smoothed. Or tilted to cut some small drainage ditches if needed.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Don McDowell wrote:A good 6 ft 3pt mounted blade combined with a frontend loader can move/poke holes thru some terrible deep and crusted snow drifts. Plus the blade can be used in the nicer times to keep the driveway smoothed. Or tilted to cut some small drainage ditches if needed.
Maybe our problem was that we couldn't seem to get enough downward force on the blade to break into the iced-up gravel. Perhaps we needed some sort of different setting or adjustment on the 3-point hitch to allow that? All it would do is scrape off the top/loose snow and leave ice with a bit of packed snow on top in the deeper places. Maybe the dozer just spoiled us! Still, it's bad when you have to call AAA to get your (2wd) SUV pulled back onto the driveway, and the toe-truck comes out and then IT gets stuck because it just spins on the ice. That happens fairly regularly during our winters.

SJPrice
Levergunner 3.0

Post by SJPrice »

For snow and ice I highly recommend that you MOVE SOUTH :P
Always Drink Upstream From The Herd
BigSky56
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BigSky56 »

A motor grader or a cat 988 loader has a hard time with packed ice and your rig wont touch it even if you chained up all the wheels you dont have the weight best thing to do is keep the snow graded and spread sand/gravel for traction. From the house to the rigs I spread wood ash if its butt busting icy, on the road I would spread gravel you can get a spreader for your atv out of northern tool dont put salt/fertilizer in your spreader if theres any metal parts you can alway dribble gravel out of the tractor bucket. Farmers/ranchers get inventive with their equipment. danny
Last edited by BigSky56 on Sat Jan 08, 2011 10:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

If good ol snow tires don't work time to bring out the tire chains. :o
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

The more I read and more questions I ask, the dumber I realize I am about tractors... :oops:

Well, someone local suggested that instead of a front 'snow' blade, all you have to do to do a good job on snow/ice is use a rear blade, turned around so you push backwards with it. Is this actually possible? Is it safe? I never tried it when we had the borrowed tractor, but did notice the blade could swivel all the way around...

claybob86
Senior Levergunner

Post by claybob86 »

Yes, it works. Little hard on the neck though. :|
Have you hugged your rifle today?
Bruce
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Bruce »

My JD that I mentioned in the earlier post is the 3032 Model w/ a fixed front bucket. I also have turf tires. I use mine for mowing (bush hog), garden work, food plots (commercial mechanical tiller) and anything else that comes up. I like it a lot.
http://www.pumprifle.org/
Bruce Hamlin's Pump Rifle Forum
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

for ice and snow removal a lot of people are using ATVs....
or just sticking a plow on the front of there trucks.....
we even had a snow blower.....PITA and a lot of walking....
and thats one of the reasons i move to florida :D

But a tractor is the way to go if you plan to use it for other things
around the house/farm....Bruce pretty much nailed it....and hes
right....dont loan it out...
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

AJMD429 wrote:What do you 'northern' folks use for packed snow and ice...?

IMHO the smarter ones go to FLORIDA until the spring :lol:
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

If you must deal with snow/ice again IMHO JD or Kobota is the way to go !

We have a Kobota 16 hors lawnmower that could do the job if I had a blade for it !

But I also have a 35 horse 4 wheel drive diesel JD with a bucket on the front that has worked very well for me over the past 8 years ! Bought it used from a friend who owned the local JD dealership at the time . Tractor had 100 hours on it when we bought it and was maybe 2 years old !
In the last 8 years I've added maybe 300 hours . So as you can see it doesn't get overworked . However it does a bang up job for me keeping our driveway clear of snow and keeping the trails in our woods clean for me and the ATV during hunting season :wink:
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
Gobblerforge
Senior Levergunner

Post by Gobblerforge »

What about studs for the tires?
Gobbler
Click Click Boom
dkmlever
Levergunner 3.0

Post by dkmlever »

Well, I just cleared 12 inches of snow off my 1/2 mile drive with my Kubota
I do have a snow blower, front mounted but on a gravel/dirt drive it only is good down to about three inches, after that is sucks up rocks/gravel and you run the risk of breaking the bolt that holds the corkscrew blade which is a pain to replace halfway down the drive in the dark.
I use the rear blade to push off the rest of the snow as I go.
The KEY to preventing ice build up is to NOT drive on the snow packing it down until after you plow!
I also reverse the rear blade and PUSH the snow into piles in reverse, this works better as the blade bites in much more.
The other thing to improve the ice removal is the angle of the rear blade, you can adjust how aggressive it bites in by shortening or lengthening the top attachement point of the three point hitch.
Some said a 6 foot blade is good, well it is nice if it goes out side your rear tires but a big blade on a small tractor will act like a rudder on a boat and move you all around, you must be careful when near the edges etc. I use a 5 footer and it is more than enough to drag.
I do put chains on my tractor so look at what ever model you decide to buy to confirm there is enough room to fit chains between the tire and the fenders.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Decided on a John Deere 2520 - good price at a dealer/service center only 10-15 miles away.

I'll post a "range report" when the deal goes through...!

Instead of the box-blade, we'll probably get an under-deck mower, and probably get a 'generic' rear blade that should be 1/3 the cost, and if we need to, we can spray-paint it green... :wink:

If there's iced-in gravel to break up, I'll use this:

I'll also likely make a 'transport-box/wagon' with one of these:

That should help haul lots of the stuff we currently have to try to haul with pickup-truck.

Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

You may want to use some caution with that subsoiler :shock: you could end up with some trenches in your driveway you don't want... :lol: and be sure you know where the phoneline is..
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Don McDowell wrote:... and be sure you know where the phoneline is..
No problem; I located it a couple years ago, with a rented backhoe... :oops: :lol:

Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

:shock: :lol: :lol: :o