If you had to choose one of two?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
SJPrice
Levergunner 3.0

If you had to choose one of two?

Post by SJPrice »

It has been a while since I have read a "if you had to choose" post, so here goes. If you had to choose between a 45-70 and a 348 Winchester for all your medium to big game hunting, which would you choose and why. Oh and let's assume you hand load and components are not a problem so we do not get the "you can get ammo anywhere" qualifier.
Always Drink Upstream From The Herd
geobru
Levergunner 3.0

Re: If you had to choose one of two?

Post by geobru »

I'd take the 348 in a model 71! :P :mrgreen:
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

tough choice between an 86 and 71
both are classy look'n shooters....and both can
handle any game in north america
but 1st choice for me would be the 86....
I like full tube winnys....octagon barrel...semi buckhorn...
with case colored receiver, hammer and lever...crescent butt plate...
and its got to be an original......not a repro....although they are nice...
bigger hole doesnt hurt either... :wink:
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

45-70.

Straight wall cases last for almost ever. Plus any round that starts with a .4 wins on cool points alone. :wink: :D
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

To err is human, To forgive is devine, Neither of which is Marine Corps policy
Semper Fidelis
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

45-70, my favorite rifle cartridge. i have three. (soon to be two). I like big bores, heavy bullets moving at moderate speeds.
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

1886 in 45-70.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

45-70. Bigger hole. Straight stock.
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
CEMENTHEAD
Levergunner 3.0

Post by CEMENTHEAD »

:D 45-70 without hesitation. Bullets from 250 to 550 grains, in numerous profiles. Not picky as far as powder is concerned. Cat sneeze up to elephant whomper loads, still relatively available, from NUMEROUS factory ammo companies.

And just plain fun to shoot! :D :D :lol: :lol:

Thanks, Tom
War sees no color, sex, or ethnic background - wars only see blood shed by our heroes for our freedoms.

I Am An American! Fighting for our Country and our way of life.

Fourth Generation Veteran and Proud !!
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

I'm going to be different and say the 348, just because it's something not everybody has.
NRA Life Member
buckeyeshooter
Senior Levergunner

Post by buckeyeshooter »

348 in a 71
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

45-70 without a second thought.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

For all?

45-70 in a Marlin Cowboy. No reason, just because. A good 300gr load @ about 2000fps would handle anything I'd ever go looking for. Some of Garrett's finest would take you to Africa.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

What CEMENTHEAD says. . .

I own both, but if I had to choose one it would be the .45-70. More versatile to reload and I could buy shells over the counter in a pinch. Be hard to do with my .348.

The .348 is very cool but that doesn't make it best. And I can only see so far anyhow.

Now if I was going to scope it because it was my only weapon and I had to provide sustenance for my family, the .348 would gain another point but probably still come in second IMHO.
"Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world." - Thomas Carlyle
RustyJr
Levergunner 3.0

Post by RustyJr »

One of the new Marlin 1895XLR with a fixed 4 power Weaver. Big or small its no problem when your totin a 45-70.

RustyJr
Life is a storm, my young friend. You will bask in the sunlight one moment, be shattered on the rocks the next. What makes you a man is what you do when that storm comes.
2X22
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 2X22 »

Neither. I ain't choosin'. I'm keeping them both.

My '86 in 45-90 and my 1936 348 are the only two guns I own that have names.

Thunder and Lightning.

2x22
"Yes, we did produce a near-perfect republic. But will they keep it? Or will they, in the enjoyment of plenty, lose the memory of freedom? Material abundance without character is the path of destruction." - Thomas Jefferson
Alan Wood
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Alan Wood »

45-70 would be my choice. It would handle any situation I might encounter with factory ammunition.
SJPrice
Levergunner 3.0

Post by SJPrice »

2X22 wrote:Neither. I ain't choosin'. I'm keeping them both.

My '86 in 45-90 and my 1936 348 are the only two guns I own that have names.

Thunder and Lightning.

2x22
I really like the names 2x22, and I may steal your "Thunder and Lightning" The names I mean, not gonna actually come to your house to steal them, although now that I told you I would not, maybe you would be fooled, but wait, no, not actually gonna come there, just like the names. Yep, I really like the names.
Borregos
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Borregos »

Old Savage wrote:45-70 without a second thought.
+1 :D :D
Pete
Sometimes I wonder if it is worthwhile gnawing through the leather straps to get up in the morning..................
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

45-70 is my vote.
Old Law Dawg
SJPrice
Levergunner 3.0

Post by SJPrice »

I could and can go either way, but today I am leaning toward the 348 Winchester. For 100% of my medium to big game hunting it is definitely up to the task. I can load anywhere from 150 grain loads all the way up to 280 grain loads with the most efficient being the 165 to 250 grain range. The bullets have good ballistics and will shoot very flat out past 250 yards requiring no hold over or hold under from zero to 250 yards even on medium sized targets like coyotes. I do agree that the 45-70 ammo and or components are more available, but I did state that that was not a consideration in the question. I too like the more unique or obscure cartridges and the 348 easily qualifies here as it was only ever chambered in the model 71. As far as "cat sneeze loads" you can do that with any caliber and or cartridge so there is no advantage from one to the other, except that for cast loads, a pound of lead will go a lot further casting for the 348. On any given day I would be satisfied if all I had was a fine 1886 in 45-70 or a fine 71 in 348. I am even happier that I do not have to choose, but it is fun to consider the question.
SFRanger7GP

Post by SFRanger7GP »

Recently, I did choose. I am starting to cull my herd. I have several 45-70's and had 2 Browning M71's. I sold both the M71's because they never got used. Nothing against the .348, I just wasn't using it. However, I do prefer the 45-70 cartridge.
BigSky56
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BigSky56 »

348 it has taken elk moose deer bear will do anything the 45-70 will but do it faster :D danny
Merry Christmas Everyone
rodeo kid
Levergunner 3.0

Post by rodeo kid »

Well, I would go with .45-70 in either a Marlin 1895 or Winchester 1886. Have a Blessed Christmas.
Member : NRA
Oklahoma Rifle Assoc.
NPPAS

TRUISM: if guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns. So, my advice is: Buy more guns!
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

I own and enjoy both but if forced to choose would probably take the 45-70. My biggest reason being it refuses to die and has more options open to it for the future.
"Oh bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round.
Bogie35
Senior Levergunner

Post by Bogie35 »

BlaineG wrote:For all?

45-70 in a Marlin Cowboy. No reason, just because. A good 300gr load @ about 2000fps would handle anything I'd ever go looking for. Some of Garrett's finest would take you to Africa.
+1!

bogie
Sadly, "Political Correctness" is the most powerful religion in America, and it has ruined our society.
19112TAP
Levergunner

Post by 19112TAP »

I have the 71 in .348 but would have to tell you to get the 45-70 for the simple fact of ammo.
RKrodle
Senior Levergunner

Post by RKrodle »

I'd pick the 348. I have both and prefer the 71 carbine over the 86 rifle. Great round, great rifle.
Ricky

DWWC
tman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by tman »

Tough one! I have a 71 carbine and an 86 Src. .348WCF cause it shoots flatter. Now that may change with Hornandy's yet to be released 250 grain rubber point. :?
firefuzz
Senior Levergunner

Post by firefuzz »

.45-70 without a doubt.

Rob
Proud to be Christian American and not ashamed of being white.

May your rifle always shoot straight, your mag never run dry, you always have one more round than you have adversaries, and your good mate always be there to watch your back.

Because I can!

Never grow a wishbone where a backbone ought to be.
86er
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 86er »

I want the light rifle with a straight grip so it has to be a 45-70, 1886. If the 71 came in a straight grip light rifle I probably would have chosen the 348.
Professional Hunter
http://www.TARSPORTING.com
"Worldwide Hunting Adventures"

Professional Hunters Assoc of South Africa
SCI - Life Member
NRA - Life Member
NAHC - Trophy Life Member
DWWC - Member
Lastmohecken
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lastmohecken »

I own both, and it's a hard choice, as I like 35 caliber bullets (.348 is slightly different of course), and the medium 35's hit hard, and shoot flatter then the 45/70.

But for one rifle only, one just can't overlook the ease of aquiring factory 45/70 ammo at most any Wal-mart, and if one is traveling and his ammo gets seperated from his rifle, and you have a .348, GOOD LUCK! You might find a box, and you might not know of a box, within 300 miles, or maybe more.

The 45/70 also seems to shoot more accurately, but the .348 is probably accurate enough in most 71's, but they are not know as tack drivers, normally, although the Brownings I have seen shoot better then the originals, IMHO.

I think I would choose the 45/70 if that was my only gun, but I do like my .348 and for a lot of hunting, I think it just might be the better gun, but then again, I am a medium 35 caliber fan, for it's smack down ability. I also use a 350 Remington Mag, sometimes, but that is a different subject.
NRA Life Member, Patron
Rafe Covington
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Rafe Covington »

45-70

Rafe Covington
Death Before Dishonor
SJPrice
Levergunner 3.0

Post by SJPrice »

Rafe Covington wrote:45-70

Rafe Covington
Why?
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

SJPrice wrote:It has been a while since I have read a "if you had to choose" post, so here goes. If you had to choose between a 45-70 and a 348 Winchester for all your medium to big game hunting, which would you choose and why. Oh and let's assume you hand load and components are not a problem so we do not get the "you can get ammo anywhere" qualifier.

I missed the bold the first time :oops: , but since you pointed it out. . .the clear choice is .45-70 simply because .458 is bigger than .348.

If ammo and components are moot, then you can't compare anything else. Like someone said, the .45-70 can be loaded with a large variety of bullets and muzzle velocities. The .348 has options as well, but not as many. Since we don't know the velocity and BC (To calculate the path) and we don't know the energy (because we don't know the bullet weight or velocity at any point in the path)-diameter remains the only qualifier.

A larger diameter bullet makes a larger hole (remember, we can't consider components so we know nothing of expansion or any other bullet performance) and is more likely to hit something vital on its path through the animal (or touch a target ring if you're near the edge).

You didn't ask anything about rifle/carbine or 1886/Model 71. :D
"Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world." - Thomas Carlyle
Birdman
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Birdman »

45-70 in a Marlin. I got some rounds and a buddy has the Marlin. For now. We're always trading back and forth. The next go round I'm after his Guide Gun. I've shot it some and it's more than I need for what I do. I just want it.
brno602
Levergunner 2.0

Post by brno602 »

I would go .348 I am a 99 guy, so have a .358 the modern .348.
The med bores shoot very flat even with blunt bullets, of course I have a Jap 71 too and my brother has a 45/70.
But I like the med bores cant find any of the barnes .348 225gr bullets anymore though. :cry:
SJPrice
Levergunner 3.0

Post by SJPrice »

I would like to find more of the Winchester 250 grain Sivertips. I was able to get fifty from a forum member here and I really like them. They seem to be a nice balance between the Barnes on the tough to too tough side and the Hawk on the soft to too soft side of the 250 grain bullets. I think the 250 grain Silvertips at 2200 fps will be great hog medicine. They are extremely accurate in my Browning with a healthy dose of Reloader 19.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

I was going to make a snide remark or two... but my 'puter gave me a sign:
So I figured it wasn't well thought out... then I hit the "refresh" button and guess what... I got what I typed back! Figured that was a sign also... so here ya are!!!

Easy answer would be .45-70, as I have one. Guess I could've gotten a .348 if I wanted one... but why?

As far as the topic is concerned... I was going to answer:
Image;
but thought better of it... so how 'bout this:
Image;
if that's not good, how 'bout:

:twisted: :P :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Last edited by Griff on Tue Dec 28, 2010 11:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!