Annual Dec. SoCal Leverguns Family Reunion-EVENT REPORT

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Annual Dec. SoCal Leverguns Family Reunion-EVENT REPORT

Post by CowboyTutt »

Hey guys, well its that time of year again when I'm headed to Southern California to see friends and family. I've tried to pick a date that works for most of us since both Christmas and New Years are on the weekends. We have some good times every year we do this. Last time we were joined by Aram "The Shadow" and "Old Guy" as well as our regulars like "El Chivo", "Old Savage", Jim Williamson and myself. Aram was always surrounded by this black aura and you could hardly see his face except for his grin! Anyhow, everyone had a great time and did some great shooting.

We always take in a meal at the Ranch Cafe which is just 5 minutes from the range. I'm thinking rather then have people come early for breakfast and shoot maybe we could come later and we can have dinner together after shooting instead.

We have had some members sort of disappear over the years due to finances and busy schedules but it would be great to have some of the original attendees back if they can make it.

I will be bringing my McPherson 454 Puma, my CZ 550 in 375 H&H AI, my Mauser "Old 3120" and some hand guns. Don't worry if you don't have too much ammo on stock. You can help me shoot up some of mine as I always have some to spare.

Please let me know if some of you are interested in attending!

Thanks and look forward to seeing some of you there!

-Tutt
Last edited by CowboyTutt on Wed Dec 29, 2010 8:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"It ain't dead! As long as there's ONE COWBOY taking care of ONE COW, it ain't dead!!!" (the Cowboy Way)
-Monte Walsh (Selleck version)

"These battered wings still kick up dust." -Peter Gabriel
pwl44m
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Annual SoCal Leverguns Family Reunion Wed.Dec. 29th in L.A.

Post by pwl44m »

The Breakfast pic would have been better without the T.V. Jest sayin
Perry in Bangor----++++===Calif
oldguy
Levergunner 2.0

Post by oldguy »

Tutt that sounds like fun. i will let "the shadow" know.
oldguy.
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Well, a reunion with the boys, looking forward to it.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

El Chivo
Advanced Levergunner

Post by El Chivo »

should work out, although if there's a dinner I can't make it as I work nights.
"I'll tell you what living is. You get up when you feel like it. You fry yourself some eggs. You see what kind of a day it is."
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Chi ------ BREAKFAST! - he said breakfast. :D
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

El Chivo
Advanced Levergunner

Post by El Chivo »

We always take in a meal at the Ranch Cafe which is just 5 minutes from the range. I'm thinking rather then have people come early for breakfast and shoot maybe we could come later and we can have dinner together after shooting instead
Breakfast works for me.
"I'll tell you what living is. You get up when you feel like it. You fry yourself some eggs. You see what kind of a day it is."
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

By golly he did say DINNER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :roll:

CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

OS, just trying to be flexible with the schedule. In the past, some have wanted to come but the distance involved, part of which during morning commuter hours, made it impossible. So, yes, I was wondering if it would be easier for people to have dinner like we did the first time, only minus Obama. :o

If no one is coming a long way and those of us going prefer breakfast, that is certainly fine with me. Just trying to draw more talent from L.A. and maybe the San Diego area.

Tell you guys what, I'll sweeten the pot some. I'll bring my laptop computer and play some unreleased video footage of the legendary Dick Casull, in particular a conversation between him and Mic McPherson about an OUTRAGEOUS experiment that Dick did in the 50s no less! Incredible!

We should do this at the Ranch Cafe before or after we shoot.

-Tutt
"It ain't dead! As long as there's ONE COWBOY taking care of ONE COW, it ain't dead!!!" (the Cowboy Way)

JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

Y'all are killing me! It's ok I should be back out there in the land of the sun this summer. :D Looking at getting out of here in May. I will have to meet up with you all next year. Until then I will keep my eye on this all the while I am shoveling snow. :shock:
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

To err is human, To forgive is devine, Neither of which is Marine Corps policy
Semper Fidelis
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Talked to Indiana today 3" of snow there. We have a summer meeting too.

CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

Jeremy, OS is absolutely correct, we meet up in the summer too, usually in mid June I think. Man, I'm looking forward to seeing you! Maybe we can do another overnight camping event. That was really cool! 8)

JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

Old Savage wrote:Talked to Indiana today 3" of snow there. We have a summer meeting too.
3 inches nothing we had 6" in my end yesterday and it is 11 outside right now.

As to a summer shoot we shall have to see how quickly I can get unpacked and get some ammo loaded up. I would surely love to get out there with y'all camping would be awesome as long as it doesn't hail on us again :lol:

Tutt your 3120 and my Rolling Block will make for a fun shoot. :D
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

Semper Fidelis
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

Hey, that was extremely small hail! After your Indiana experiences that won't even rate!!!! But we can limit the camping to the summer event. If you and your sons are ready to camp, I'm in!! -Tutt

JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

CowboyTutt wrote:Hey, that was extremely small hail! After your Indiana experiences that won't even rate!!!! But we can limit the camping to the summer event. If you and your sons are ready to camp, I'm in!! -Tutt
We are always ready to camp. :D And your right a Southern California Foothill winter is nothing to what we have here.
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

Semper Fidelis
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

I just spoke to Jim Williamson today who is one of 3 Shootists who lives in CA. He will be joining us as usual. He always brings an enourmous amount of enthuisasm! Please excuse my poor spelling. -Tutt

El Chivo
Advanced Levergunner

Post by El Chivo »

Somebody come early so I don't have to sit there by myself for an hour.

I have been saving some ammo for this occasion, I have 100 rounds of 30-30 with Trail Boss, the only powder that stinks of BOTH ammonia and sulfur. Had to use it up. I'll be sending those 170 grain lead bullets out there at a blazing 850 fps. I'd ring the 60 yard gong if there was one.
damienph
Senior Levergunner

Post by damienph »

CowboyTutt wrote: Image
Ok but could you change the channel?
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

I remember that meal. We weren't real thrilled with the choice of TV channel either but we were having too good a time to mind too much. -Tutt

El Chivo
Advanced Levergunner

Post by El Chivo »

well, we don't go to the Ranch Side Cafe to eat; rather we go to the Ranch Side Cafe to have eaten.
oldguy
Levergunner 2.0

Post by oldguy »

hi tutt. the shadow said he is in. oldguy
bsaride
Senior Levergunner

Post by bsaride »

I would love to go but changed jobs in July and can't take a midweek day off.
Right now, with Christmas on Saturday I'm not sure whether I get Friday off or not.
KI6WZU
NRA member
"When they call the roll in the Senate, the Senators do not know whether to answer 'present' or 'not guilty.'"
--President Theodore Roosevelt (1858-1919)

“Democracy must be something more than two wolves and a sheep voting on what to have for dinner”
Paladin
Senior Levergunner

Post by Paladin »

I would join you but will be flying to a work site on the 20th from LA but may be in the area for the next one if you don’t mind.
It is not the critic who counts
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

May be overseeing floor installation at the condo on that morning - remains to be seen. May be done before that we will see.

71fan
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 71fan »

Once again...I can't make it :( :( I have a whole pack of relatives in town that week and I'm afraid it would be rude to ditch them for a day.

Although, maybe I have to make a "site visit" in LA that day for work. Or perhaps a "client meeting." Hmmmm.

Well, if I don't make it y'all have a blast and hopefully I'll make the next one.
Chad
71fan
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 71fan »

Paladin wrote:I would join you but will be flying to a work site on the 20th from LA but may be in the area for the next one if you don’t mind.
Hey Paladin....do you still have the Co-pilot?
Chad
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

71 - Charles the buck hunter you were talking to at the first one was asking about you tonight. He brought over a roast he had done from the buck I shot for our dinner tonight. He also brought a nice red wine and we topped it off with Egg Nog with Bacardi Dark Select. All very good.

71fan
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 71fan »

Old Savage wrote:71 - Charles the buck hunter you were talking to at the first one was asking about you tonight. He brought over a roast he had done from the buck I shot for our dinner tonight. He also brought a nice red wine and we topped it off with Egg Nog with Bacardi Dark Select. All very good.
Very nice....is he still whacking and stacking them on a regular basis? I remember being very jealous of his success killing our cute little SoCal deer. Your dinner sounds wonderful. When did you kill the buck, and is it a SoCal one?
Chad
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Mine was a 3 point buck from D11 in the Angeles forest south of Bouquet Canyon Res. He shot one up on the Tejon ranch. We both used his Model 88 243 with 85 gr TSX bullets in Federal ammo. He got that rifle in 1965.

olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by olyinaz »

Where in the LA area is this held? (Sorry if I missed it somewhere in the thread.)

Cheers,
Oly
Paladin
Senior Levergunner

Post by Paladin »

71fan wrote:
Paladin wrote:I would join you but will be flying to a work site on the 20th from LA but may be in the area for the next one if you don’t mind.
Hey Paladin....do you still have the Co-pilot?
Yes sir, one of my favorite levers, doesn’t get shot as much as the .44 Mag but it is next in ammo consumption of the levers.
It is not the critic who counts
El Chivo
Advanced Levergunner

Post by El Chivo »

olyinaz wrote:Where in the LA area is this held? (Sorry if I missed it somewhere in the thread.)

Cheers,
Oly
Angeles Shooting Range, and we meet at Ranch Side Cafe on Foothill Blvd where it meets Little Tujunga Rd. This is in San Fernando/Sylmar area, not far from Hansen Dam.
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

Wow, I don't remember getting my usual auto notifications for this thread!

Old Guy, looking forward to seeing you and the Shadow. What time works for you? Can you do breakfast or is that problematic?

71 Fan, I understand the family situation. I'm down here with family for two weeks and most of my time is with family. But I usually get about two days to go play when I'm not busy with the family "to do" list. We will do it again this summer and hope to see you then.

O.S. I think we will try for that Wednesday still, just come when you can.

I made it down here last weekend through a lot rain only to be here in SoCal for one of the worst rainstorms in many years. There is apparently declared emergencies due to damage from mudslides and flooding in 3 counties at least.

I'm feeling lucky we made it through OK here. Its a beautiful sunny day today and the weather forecast looks good for next Wed with only a very slight chance of rain last I looked.

I'll be staying at Jim's house Tuesday night and shoot with him at one of his two gun clubs and meet some of you for breakfast Wed. morning.

Let me know what time works for you guys.

Lastly, Merry Christmas!

-Tutt

new pig hunter
Senior Levergunner

Post by new pig hunter »

this may help .....

http://www.angelesranges.com/coupon.htm

Cheers,

Carl
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

Thank you Carl! Yep, one of the few places with steel targets from 300 out to 600 yards. One of my favorite shooting venues. Where's Wind when I need him! :lol:
-Tutt

oldguy
Levergunner 2.0

Post by oldguy »

tutt, MERRY CHRISTMAS to you and your family.
breakfast is not a problem.
wind would be bored.
thanks again for putting this together.
oldguy.
don't forget that pistol caliber rifles can be shot on the pistol side. 35 yds. to 100 yds. (?)
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

Well, not so sure Wind would be bored as long as I have Jim Williamson in tow, but how does breakfast at 10am sound? The chance of rain is about 40% last I looked, but the benches are covered and that could mean little to no rain while we are there. I say go for it as I've not shot in the rain before. Could be interesting! -Tutt

oldguy
Levergunner 2.0

Post by oldguy »

hi tutt. breakfast @ 10:00 sounds good. the shadow shot there in the rain once. as long
as we are happy shooting steel plates i guess it is not a problem. oldguy.
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

Oldguy, as long as we stay together as a group, I think that is what matters. Its easy to get scattered because we all want to shoot our own guns (Gee, imagine that!) But I'm in it for the group this time and will try to be a better host and spend time with everyone. Thanks for watching this post! -Tutt

CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

P.S. You know I live for the song of bullets on steel don't you???? "Gaaaoowwwnngg!" I love it! -Tutt

oldguy
Levergunner 2.0

Post by oldguy »

tutt. all for one, one for all ! oldguy
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

That's funny, OldGuy, you must have secretly known that I was always big fan of the original "3 Musketeers" and "4 Musketeers" films with Michael York and Oliver Reed. The latter, no man could replace and he stole the show from even Russel Crow in Gladiator (2000) in my book! I will see you soon. -Tutt

Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Well Andy, nice to talk to you last night, as you probably determined "The Charles" and I were celebrating my 88 shooting a 1 1/8" inch group with two in the X as previously sight (since Dec. 91) with the Federal TSX as approved for the condor range. See you there.

CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

Yep, same here. Sounds like you and Charles were "kabitzing with the Irish"! :lol: -Tutt

El Chivo
Advanced Levergunner

Post by El Chivo »

ok see you guys at 10 am.
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Windy, rainy and cold up here.

CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

Just got online here at Jim's. It does not appear to be raining here on this side of the moutains (O.S. is on the wrong side!). Still going to meet for breakfast as said. Anyone can call me on my cell if they need too. 707 472-6864 -Tutt

CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

Well, it just goes to show NEVER underestimate the good weather Karma of a few good Levergunner's when they decide to meet! Despite a forecast of wind and rain, the weather was quite decent for us with only a damp sprinkling most of the day. Eventually, even that ceased.

We met for breakfast at our usual restaurant, the Ranch Cafe, which is run by a couple of very beautiful Ethiopian sisters. O.S., next time we need pics of you and the lovely ladies! In attendance were El Chivo, Old Savage, Jim Williamson, Old Guy, the Shadow and myself.

El Chivo awarded Old Savage a special plaque for being the first hunter who shoots the antler off a deer BEFORE he harvests it.

Thank you El Chivo for your thoughtfulness (it was also El Chivo who created Old Savage Aftershave last year). After a good breakfast I gave a brief presentation on the promised video's of Dick Casull that I hope to publish with an article in the near future. Amazing man, that Dick Casull.

Afterwards, we headed up to the Angeles Shooting Range and we all hung out on the rifle side chatting and shooting. It was really great to have everyone together and camaraderie was high!

Here is a great pic of Old Guy and Old Savage:

Here is Jim Williamson and the Shadow with one of Jim's custom McPherson rifles:

Here is Old Guy shooting my McPherson 454 Puma:

Here is a pic of Jim Williamson, The Shadow and myself:

El Chivo was POUNDING the 200 yard gong with his rifle with iron sights once he got on target. Nice job, E.C.!:

Here's me with my CZ550 in 375 H&H AI with its 350 grain Match King bullet at 2500 fps. I shot it from 200 yards out to 400 but it was very hard to to see the impacts at long range because of occasional fog and the wet ground:

After my camera battery gave out we broke out some handguns and shot at both the rifle and pistol ranges.

All in all, it was a great event, the most memorable one of these “reunions” in a long time for me.

Thanks to Old Guy and The Shadow for making the trek out from Ventura, and to my close friends Old Savage, El Chivo and Jim Williamson for attending.

Lastly, here's a great pic of Old Savage which pretty well sums up the mood of the whole event. I think he needs to use it for his Icon:

I look forward to the next one, most likely in June but maybe in the Spring if I can make it down!

-Tutt
Last edited by CowboyTutt on Wed Dec 29, 2010 10:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Annual Dec. SoCal Leverguns Family Reunion-EVENT REPORT

Post by TedH »

Good times. :mrgreen:
NRA Life Member
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Annual Dec. SoCal Leverguns Family Reunion-EVENT REPORT

Post by JReed »