OT - WV Weighing Gun Lessons For Schoolchildren

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
don Tomás
Levergunner 3.0

OT - WV Weighing Gun Lessons For Schoolchildren

Post by don Tomás »

This is kinda refreshing. Of course, the 1.5 Billion Dollars that the state makes off hunting-related activities might be a motivator....
Tom

WV Weighing Gun Lessons For Schoolchildren
West Virginia is considering a bill to teach schoolchildren how to handle a gun and hunt safely its proponent hopes will increase state revenues from hunting licenses, a state lawmaker said Thursday.

"We will teach a hunting safety course during their physical education class," state senator and bill sponsor Billy Wayne Bailey told AFP. The courses would be imparted in secondary schools, from the eighth to 10th grade (13-16 years of age).

"They will learn gun safety, the proper use of fire arms. All the weapons will be disabled so there is no chance of discharging," he said, adding that the state Senate was expected to take up the bill next week.

"Hunting is an economic and cultural thing and we have seen a decline of hunting licenses over the past years," said the lawmaker, explaining that his bill would boost interest in hunting in West Virginia.

Children 10 years and older can already apply for a hunting license in West Virginia, which makes 1.5 billion dollars a year from hunting-related activities, the senator said.
Tom

'A Man's got to have a code...
I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted and I won't be laid a hand on.
I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them."

-John Bernard Books. Jan. 22, 1901
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

Any help to get more young people involved in the shooting sports is very welcome. Good for them, I hope it gets through.
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

TedH wrote:Any help to get more young people involved in the shooting sports is very welcome. Good for them, I hope it gets through.
+1
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

Even Bob Denver who has now passed away lived in the home town where my parents were from in Princeton, WV. He made the statement once that WV should export all industry to other states and make the whole state a sport's man's paradise.

A funny statement for what I always thought was a Hollyweird type.

Rusty <><
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

I heard about this on the BBC news over here. I think it's an excellent idea but I reckon most of the sheeple in "Merrie Old England" would be horrified. :roll:
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
Mike-in-WV
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Mike-in-WV »

I'm proud to say that I am a WV Hill-Billy and that I do love this state .One of the reasons we call it the "Wild and Wonderful"state is because that's just what it is.
Without going into the facts of how these people down here think a little different then most and what a poor state this is I will tell you this.
You won't meet finer or friendlier people anywhere and they love there hunting fishing and trapping. If anyone ever tried to take that right away from them you would see another civil war. :)
Many of the WV people don't have much and they don't want or need much. If they need some meat or fish they just step out in there back yards or go down to the local pond or stream and get it. Hunting and fishing is not just a sport here, it's a way of life.If you walk into a grocery store it's not unusal to hear the check out girls talking about a new fishing rod they got or new rifle for Bear hunting or how they missed that big Gobbler they have been after. These girls love to hunt and fish with there husbands and kids. During hunting season you will see pictures in the local papers of kids as young as 8 with a mess of squirrels holding a little single shot .410 or .22 and a story about how they were hunting with Dad or Grandpa. Bear and big buck have been taken by young boy's and girls here every year.
Our Governors have all been hunters and the last one was a bow hunter also. You can bet that if they were not hunting and fishing oriented they would not be elected in this state. There is no doubt that the idea of teaching gun safety in our schools will pass . We brought back archery to our schools a few years ago and now the schools are having tournements against each other across the state. I'm not talking about little junk glass bows like we had when I was a kid. These are nice compound bows shot with no sights and using fingers. Mike
If I can't shoot or pee off my own back porch when I want to then I'm not free and I won't live there. Thank you God for my freedom!
shawn_c992001
Levergunner 3.0

Post by shawn_c992001 »

This one should definately pass. Being from good ole West Virginia also, I can agree with Mike on all points he made.

I graduated from Pocahontas Co. High School in 1999. When I was in middle school at Marlinton Middle School we had a unit in Phys. Ed. on archery but none in high school. They did offer Hunter Education every year after school though. I would like to see Hunter Ed. be a requirement before graduation.
Mike-in-WV
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Mike-in-WV »

I would like to see Hunter Ed. be a requirement before graduation.

Amen Shawn! :) Mike
If I can't shoot or pee off my own back porch when I want to then I'm not free and I won't live there. Thank you God for my freedom!