OT- What kind of dog?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

OT- What kind of dog?

Post by Rusty »

Anybody know what kind of dog this is? I'm thinking it's an Australian Sheppard?

http://www.classbrain.com/artfamily/pub ... _dog.shtml

Rusty <><
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

Very nice vid Rusty, I not sure but I guess a classic case of why a good mix of breeds and bloods make for very good dogs. Looks like some Alsationxcollie to me+ some others. Mongrals make fine dogs, I personally am not for straight breeds any more. Thanks for the link, Nath.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
Palmtreee
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Palmtreee »

It is an Australian Blue Heeler, they Are very popular here in Texas. Mine is the best dog are family has ever had. Great choice of dog.
nemhed
Senior Levergunner

Post by nemhed »

He might also be an Australian Shepherd/ Blue Heeler cross which they sometimes call a Texas Heeler. That's what we've got, she's pretty dark kind of like ol' Skidboot there.
mack
Levergunner 2.0

Post by mack »

ACD- Australian Cattle Dog, They come in blue, red, and red speckled. Dogs run about 70lbs, bitches 45-50. Built like small tanks, fast and can be quite acrobatic. My 70 lb red speckled can jump shoulder high from a standstill. Most will be marked with a "Bentley", the white blaze down the forehead. Smartest dogs I've ever seen, very independent though. They are said to be bred from a combination Dingo, Halls Heeler, and maybe some Kelpie. They are natural heelers, they work from the rear to move stock, they will nip and duck. Once you have one, you will not want any other breed. I'd post a photo of my "Jack", if I can figure out how. Skidboots moves don't surprise me at all.
They fit right in with leverguns and quarter horses.
OJ
Levergunner 3.0

Post by OJ »

Yep - all great dogs - now, please come back at half time - it's Super Bowl time, y'know.

Winner of bet with little sis gets first choice of treats -

Brothers think they are so smart!! We are Mastiffs - gentle giants.

:lol:
Last edited by OJ on Thu Feb 07, 2008 1:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
OJ KING
SEMPER FI
DUTY, HONOR, COUNTRY
NRA LIFE MEMBER
Bruce Scott
Senior Levergunner

Post by Bruce Scott »

mack wrote:ACD- Australian Cattle Dog, They come in blue, red, and red speckled. Dogs run about 70lbs, bitches 45-50. Built like small tanks, fast and can be quite acrobatic. My 70 lb red speckled can jump shoulder high from a standstill. Most will be marked with a "Bentley", the white blaze down the forehead. Smartest dogs I've ever seen, very independent though. They are said to be bred from a combination Dingo, Halls Heeler, and maybe some Kelpie. They are natural heelers, they work from the rear to move stock, they will nip and duck. Once you have one, you will not want any other breed. I'd post a photo of my "Jack", if I can figure out how. Skidboots moves don't surprise me at all.
They fit right in with leverguns and quarter horses.
Yeah, great dogs. There is also a belief that the speckling comes from some Dalmation in their background. We had one on the farm when I was a kid - she was brilliant working cows and absolutely fearless.
Senior Levergunner

Auatralian cattle dog/blue heeler

Post by 2571 »

I had one. Worst dog I ever had. 100% my fault. Dog belonged in a pasture, not a a backyard. Difficult to train, known for obstinancy. If it is supposed to move a cow and gets kicked, it's bred to try again. Consequently, mine was hard to toilet train.

A cattle dog, it followed me everywhere. If I got up to adjut the TV, it got up, too. I couldn't go to the restroom without her coming along.

Died of lung cancer.

It was wrong of me to try to make a house pet out of that breed of dog.

Neat dogs, though, in the right place.
brucew44guns
Senior Levergunner

let me know

Post by brucew44guns »

If anyone within reasonable distance of Kansas knows where one of these Australian Cattle Dogs are, and I won't have to sell more than 3 or 4 of my newer Marlins to buy the dog or pup, let me know. Been wanting one a long time. Got 160 acres for it to be at home on, and I'm retired now, so got time to spend with a good pooch. Bruce
To hell with them fellas, buzzards gotta eat same as the worms.
Outlaw Josey Wales

Member GOA
NRA Benefactor-Life
Palmtreee
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Palmtreee »

We got our blue heeler from a breeder in Oklahoma for around $100. PM me if you want the info.
gundownunder
Senior Levergunner

Post by gundownunder »

hey 2571 theres nothing wrong with a heeler as a town dog as long as you keep his mind stimulated, they are rated about #5 in the worlds most intelligent dog list.
They also excel in things like agility, schutzhund, obedience trials, and anything else you can think of for a fearless, intelligent dog to do, and their not kind to intruders either.
I keep rottweillers but I would have either a red or blue heeler in a heartbeat except that my wife keeps cats and the heeler is known not to have a particular liking for cats (except as a snack). She cant understand that its something that training and growing up with cats would fix.
Here in Australia they also get a bit of use for things like bailing up feral pigs in the scrub.
Bob
You have got to love democracy-
It lets you choose who your dictator is going to be.
jd45
Levergunner 3.0

Post by jd45 »

gundownunder, that girl in your avitar's a real cutie! Just a little observation,.......she's got two 38's, and a gun, too??? (grin!) jd45
Palmtreee
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Palmtreee »

Our Blue Heeler does great with our house cat, even sleeps side by side. It is not so nice to outside cats though.

Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

I came out as a Beauceron Shepherd.

Slick
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Slick »

That dog reminds me of my friend's Queensland Heeler...
Politicians and diapers both require frequent changing for the EXACT same reason!
Bosco
Levergunner 1.0

What kinda dog is that.

Post by Bosco »

Blue Heeler
Queensland Heeler
Red Heeler
Australian Cattle Dog

They are born white like a dalmation.

The one in the show could have been mixed with an australian shepard. It is hard to say.

Great breed I have owned 3. Would have another for sure. Just not in the "burbs". They are too territorial for my tastes in the "burbs".

Bosco
jbm1968
Levergunner 2.0

Post by jbm1968 »

OJ,

Was that a picture of you or your dog :lol:

Mastiffs are great animals! We used to have a Bull Mastiff which is one of the best dogs I have ever known.
Jonathan

Soldier
NRA Life Member
mack
Levergunner 2.0

Post by mack »

I've heard of the Dalmatian mix, but have also heard it's bunk, who knows? The Hall's Heeler link is somewhat obscure. Some will call ACD's "Hall's Heelers", but I believe the true Hall's disappeared as a breed early in the 20th century.
Palmtree, nice looking Heeler! Love the marking.
This is my "Jack", after a hard day with the kids. He gets along fine with the cat, and I like the way he is with my kids. Anything or anybody he doesn't know, and he will put himself between them and my youngest and "smile" at then if they move too close.