OT - New BACKPACK - JEREMIAH!!!!!

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

OT - New BACKPACK - JEREMIAH!!!!!

Post by rjohns94 »

having returned from overseas, I came back with several new ideas on what essentials I need for daily travels. I would like your opinion on these matters.

First: Daypacks. I was not happy at all with the performance of my small daypack and was thinking, in harsh times or good, I needed a better daypack. for travel whether to Ethiopia or orlando disney world, or day to day work, I need a better daypack. I was thinking of something like: http://www.jansport.com/js_product_detail.php?pid=TFH9

Then, what do you put it in it? Daily, it could be a small notebook, note pad, book, pencils, water bottle, perhaps my .38, reloads, a knife, flashlight, small med kit, tooth brush and paste, - you get the idea. Travel it could carry camera clothes, etc. Bug out, more ammo, binos etc.

So what do you carry for a daypack and what do you carry with you when you do carry it?
Last edited by rjohns94 on Sat Feb 02, 2008 9:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
nemhed
Senior Levergunner

Post by nemhed »

For daily travel on my motorcycle, I use a sling bag (single shoulder strap). It has a 1" strap that goes around the waist to keep it stable. This seems to be a good solution for me, I don't need to carry a lot of weight ( items similar to what you've described including a cover for my bike) and I feel less restricted than with a standard 2 shoulder strap pack. Maxpedition Gear makes a sling bag they call the Monsoon. I will be buying one of these when my current pack is worn out The Maxpedition Gear packs and bags offer a lot of options including holsters.
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

I carry a pack to work every day. The one I currently use is better now than when I first bought it. I drive a truck and carry a lot of personal things with me to work every day so as to be more self sufficient. I've used commercial day packs in the past and they all seem to have one fatal flaw. A large zipper that goes up one side across the top and down the other side. If the zipper fails you don't have any way to carry all your stuff. My bag I use now is German military surplus and is more like a large sack with a drawstring that closes the top and a flap that covers that. It also has two smaller pockets on the left and right sides, both with flaps that cover the top. IIRC I got the one I use now from Cheaper than Dirt for about $20.

Rusty <><
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Depends on what I'm doing and the time of year. Got a Camelback Mule. In many, most, situations some sort of clean water source is a necessity. I would think particularly in Ethiopia. :wink:
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
bsaride
Senior Levergunner

Post by bsaride »

I have a heavy cordura bag with leather bottom, probably 20 yrs old and still going strong. I used to hike alot and could go 3 days with it no problem. If I stayed out of high alt I would carry a boy scout mess kit (pot/lid only) with a small butane stove (2 half shells that had burner and T valve) that stored inside the pot. Now I have a 3 compartment bag that is a little bigger and used it mostly when motorcycle riding.

I never buy the cheapest and usually get the best constructed items I can afford.

I make it a habit of NOT shopping wallmart and prefer to buy from the little guy when possible.
KI6WZU
NRA member
"When they call the roll in the Senate, the Senators do not know whether to answer 'present' or 'not guilty.'"
--President Theodore Roosevelt (1858-1919)

“Democracy must be something more than two wolves and a sheep voting on what to have for dinner”
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

I really like the Maxpedition stuff. I have one of their small day packs and have been planning on buying one of their larger ones. Really heavy duty and well made.

One drawback I can see for your overseas trips to unpredictable places is that the Maxpedition stuff has a military look to it and may cause problems. I almost got taken off a plane to Central America once because I had a Military Surplus back pack and their way more sensitive about that post 9/11.

My Dad carried a Jansport pack similar to the one in your link through one of his treks around C.A. came back well worn and faded but still in one piece.

Two things I always have in mine are a small survival/ first aid kit and a compass. Everthing else changes w/ where I'm going. Always carry my camera& cell phone in a roll top dry bag from Cabelas.

8)

8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

I carry my old ALICE pack minus the frame every where. It has room enough for my 3L Camel Back, jacket, lunch, binos, ammo, rope, saw, small tri leg stool,and a whole lot more. Back when we (USMC) still used them I could pack enough cloths and stuff to live for a week in the field.

Here it is under my bang sticks :wink: . I can easy load 60Lbs of gear in it or keep it light. I have had this one since I was in Okinawa in 1997 and people still think it is new. If a bag could talk the tales it would tell.

And you can find them in any Mil Surplus store.
Last edited by JReed on Mon Jan 28, 2008 7:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

To err is human, To forgive is devine, Neither of which is Marine Corps policy
Semper Fidelis
Bigahh
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Bigahh »

Interesting post. I would like to get a pack just like yours Jeremy. Will take a ride to my nearest surplus store this week. Looks to be perfect for walking in to my Deer Stand on my all day hunts!
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

You can get new one online at places like Cheaper Then Dirt. These guys have all the stuff new at decent prices. http://www.uscav.com/category.aspx?cati ... ice%20pack

Mine is the medium size. The large is what the snipers use. They put enough stuff to live for a good while pluss all their extra shooting stuff. Way to big for my needs. The small is a great range bag or makes a good carry on bag.

I should also state the large bag can not be used with out a frame as the shoulder straps are on the frame not the pack.
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

To err is human, To forgive is devine, Neither of which is Marine Corps policy
Semper Fidelis
bmtshooter
Levergunner 2.0

Post by bmtshooter »

I have carried a day pack to work for the last 20+ years, and have worn out several. My wife and I refer to it as my "purse". My current pack is a Jansport, very similar to the one shown in the link on the first post. Very nice pack. One item I carry is an extra set of keys to my vehicle. Just in case I do something stupid & lock a set inside. Hasn't happened yet, but I'm prepared. The company I work for does not allow "weapons" onsite, so no firearms travel back & forth to work. Of course those folks don't recognize the fact that in a desperate enough situation, even pens & pencils will be used as weapons. As I'm so fond of saying, "if you get me scared enough, I'll hurt you with a roll of toilet paper if that's all I have available". Perhaps I should add a roll to my day pack. Might come in handy. I recommend the Jansport packs without reservation.
alnitak
Senior Levergunner

Post by alnitak »

You might check out this site for discussion on your topic. They seem to be high on the Maxpedition bags as well.

http://www.edcforums.com/
"From birth 'til death...we travel between the eternities." -- Print Ritter in Broken Trail
hartman
Levergunner 1.0

Post by hartman »

His name is Skeeter, weighs in at 1250# and is meaner than cat dirt, but follows along nicely. When he was younger he could take 175# load and carry it all day. Now that he's older I only let him carry 125# although that only makes him meaner, but I feel sorry for the old guy.

Hartman
klhill
Levergunner 2.0

Post by klhill »

My 20 yr old Mountainsmith day pack has been to 20+ countries,been used hard and is still looking good.I generally carry a small first aid kit (bandages,aspirin,ibuprofen,imodium, moleskin etc),water purification tablets, hooded GoreTex jacket,sunglasses,hat,camera,passport & extra copies of passport,several hundred dollars emergency cash, and a few small tools (screwdriver & 6" adj wrench), and a water bottle.
When I'm not flying I'll carry a multitool,extra knife and sometimes handgun/ammo.
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

Hartman, LOL I would love to have a Skeeter but the spousal unit says no!!! Loved the post.

JREED - I have just given my son my med alice pack. I agree with your assessment but with all the searches I went through, I think I need something less "military".

Alnitak - Looking at them but they get expensive quick because of all the KEWL gadgets they have. would like to see them in person.
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
jbm1968
Levergunner 2.0

Post by jbm1968 »

For a daypack in my international travels I use the North Face Recon and have been very happy with it.
This is the new one, which is slightly different than mine:

http://www.thenorthface.com/opencms/ope ... anguage=en

I recently started using this Lowepro camera bag when carrying my full DSLR kit and I like it. It has the single shoulder strap and thin waste strap. I have not used a daypack like this but it sure is a great camera bag:

http://products.lowepro.com/product/Sli ... 2035,4.htm

I use a Gregory pack if I need to carry a heavier load and day hiking. It is excellent as a summit pack or overnighter in rough terrain:

http://www.gregorypacks.com/prod.php?ID=52

For backpacking up to 3 days or weeklong trips when I want to travel light I use this pack:

http://www.gregorypacks.com/prod.php?ID=85
Jonathan

Soldier
NRA Life Member
redeux
Levergunner

Post by redeux »

have a northface exocet (5yrs o-o-p) 2400 ci , black cordura , damm near bombproof ...
northface makes decent gear for the bucks...
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

HARTMAN, You won't believe this but I bought not a Skeeter, but a Jeremiah!!!! 1800# of mule/Belgium cross. I am so excited to get him out on the trails. Thanks for the suggestion.

[img][img]http://i222.photobucket.com/albums/dd20 ... remiah.jpg[/img][/img]
Last edited by rjohns94 on Sat Feb 02, 2008 9:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mike Johnson,

hartman
Levergunner 1.0

Post by hartman »

rjohns94

With 1800# of mule you can have him pack your pick up and save on gas. Good luck with him, I think you'll like that better than packing on your back.

Hartman
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

thanks. posted a picture
Mike Johnson,

Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

The only time I use any sort of a pack, is when hunting. I carry a haversack, slung from my shoulder - similar to how a "possibles" bag was carried.
Mine is canvas, and started life as a fisherman's tackle bag - similar to this one from Cabela's:

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templ ... hasJS=true
jbm1968
Levergunner 2.0

Post by jbm1968 »

Rjohns,

Does he fit in the overhead storage compartment :?: :?: :?:
Jonathan

Soldier
NRA Life Member
horsesoldier03
Advanced Levergunner

Post by horsesoldier03 »

My pack typically carries a Tree Stand Harness, Game Calls, skinning knife, small pocket knife, sharpener, 550 cord, 2 bic lighters and 1 mag. fire stick in a small rubermaid with 2 pads of steel wool, a military poncho with a poncho liner, small pair of binos, 2 trash bags, and a pair of dry socks.

That sure is a good lookin mule you got there. Can't beat a belgian or percheron cross.
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

Does he fit in the overhead storage compartment
No I don't think he will unless its a military airlift. That still leaves me looking for a daypack. Jereimiah and I will be spending lots of time together and I am hoping to get him up into the local hills and perhaps he can help haul some venison in the fall. :D

Keep your ideas coming on the more conventional packs. The maxexpedition looks great as do some of the other ideas presented. I have even taken to asking the college kids about their packs. I have gone through so many of these in the past, never satisfied. Hopefully with the suggestions and time I am taking to look, I will find the right one.

Mike
Mike Johnson,